HELLO (new here)

tosacco

Aug 29, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. I live in Massachusetts, I am a graduate student in sociology, broadly studying science policy and federal funding of scientific research.

I guess if you have questions, ask!

Welcome to the board.

You'll love our rdean. He's a big fan of Scientists.

Welcome Tosacco. Enjoy the fray here. Be not a-frayed I guess is what I'm sayin'.

As you already saw it only took three minutes for the obsessionists to pounce, so ... there's that.
But fortunately there's more.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. I live in Massachusetts, I am a graduate student in sociology, broadly studying science policy and federal funding of scientific research.

Hello tosacco. May you have a good time here at USMB.

I can help you shorten your time studying federal funding of scientific research. Just give an impulsive spender your credit card and hope you don't go bankrupt by the end of the day. :eusa_shifty:

I can help you shorten your time studying federal funding of scientific research. Just give an impulsive spender your credit card and hope you don't go bankrupt by the end of the day. :eusa_shifty:

The federal government has only spent between 0.3 and 0.4 percent of its GDP on R&D at public institutions in recent years. The reality of the situation is our economy is quickly becoming a knowledge economy dependent on things like technological transfer, R&D, knowledge production, etc. The amount we invest in research is actually quite small vis-a-vis other developed nations. In order to stay competative we should be investing more in research, as well as increasing the amount of funding for education to ensure our citizens are knowledgeable about contemporary science and skilled in the state-of-the-art technology our economy is increasingly fueled by.

The federal government has only spent between 0.3 and 0.4 percent of its GDP on R&D at public institutions in recent years. The reality of the situation is our economy is quickly becoming a knowledge economy dependent on things like technological transfer, R&D, knowledge production, etc. The amount we invest in research is actually quite small vis-a-vis other developed nations. In order to stay competative we should be investing more in research, as well as increasing the amount of funding for education to ensure our citizens are knowledgeable about contemporary science and skilled in the state-of-the-art technology our economy is increasingly fueled by.

If you're making a policy prescription for increased R&D spending then shouldn't you refrain from selective fact presentation? R&D at public institutions is not the sole means by which R&D is funded with tax dollars. Last I checked we were spending well north of 3% of the Federal Budget on R&D.

It should be higher. And I cited the public institutions figure because it's overwhelmingly low considering not only does a lot of important, innovative research happen at public institutions, but the research conducted at public institutions is also the primary training mechanism for the future knowledge workers. If we were serious about staying competative we would be investing double the amount of tax dollars in R&D at public institutions.

This content properly belongs in the forum. The present thread is just for intros.
You don't want your points to be lost for lack of visibility after all...

It should be higher. And I cited the public institutions figure because it's overwhelmingly low considering not only does a lot of important, innovative research happen at public institutions, but the research conducted at public institutions is also the primary training mechanism for the future knowledge workers. If we were serious about staying competative we would be investing double the amount of tax dollars in R&D at public institutions.

Why not start a thread on this topic and I'll join you there.

Ok, so general question (since I am new and all) would a discussion like this go in the "Political Forum" or "Science and Technology" forum? Does it matter?

Ok, so general question (since I am new and all) would a discussion like this go in the "Political Forum" or "Science and Technology" forum? Does it matter?

I would think that politics would be the place because it's about policy. S&T would be the place to discuss a new telescope and such.

Forum List

Back