Hello - I am new here

I get my Sha-Ka-Cola from a source in Germany via E-bay but always looking for a cheaper alternative. I am also interested in inexpensive German recipes for feeding 30 + people.
I World War II reenact and occasionally play as a Gebirgsjager (Wehrmacht, not SS) Unteroffizier. I also play a Generalleutnant, I am a twin for Julius Ringel, commander, 5th Gebirgsjager.

The easiest way is "Eintopf", the german version of a stew.

Just take:

3 to 4 heads of green cabbage
500 grams of speck, if not available take bacon
10 middle sized onions
per person 100 g smoked pork chop
(if this is not available any kind of smoked sausage will do)
also per person 2 to 3 large potatoes

Now cut the speck in little pieces, as well as the onions.
Put speck and onions together into a large enough pot for 30 persons.
Medium heat.
The green cabbage is cut to little pieces and added to the onions, when these become "milky". They must not become brown or black !
When the cabbage is becoming "wobbly", add some water or bouillon.
When the cabbage is done, add the potatoes and the pork chops to the cabbage.

The longer the mass is boiled on low to medium flame, the better the taste.
Also add some salt, pepper and caraway (! otherwise you will "gas" your neighbour).

This is a very hearthy meal, classic in my region when very cold.
It will taste even better when warmed up one day after preparing.
But it should be rather cold when this is eaten (also cabbage is better in winter !).

In regard of re-enactments of WWII, they are not particular popular here.
But I know of friends in Britain who love to run around in Wehrmacht uniforms (they say they look cooler than the english ones). Not my cup of tea, but as long they do not invade Poland, let them play.

Regards
ze germanguy

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds extremely good, I'll give it a try for the next big event.
As for WWII reenacting/living history, I'm a history buff and the period from 1930 to 1950 is a passion of mine. I also do British and Russian and on occasion Union (Federal), American Civil War. Most of what we do is to present a "living history" for people as an adjunct to simply reading or watching history in a book or on TV.

This recipe works even better if you have something called "Gulaschkanone". These are the large field-cooking thingies the german army had in the world wars. If you prepare this stuff in one pot for a whole company, the taste is even better.
Anyway.
I am a history buff as well, but with three little children I do not have much spare time.
In Germany the Middle-Ages are more popular I think (for whatever reason). You have large events where hundreds of people meet and reenact this time.
Also, not my cup of tea as well.
I only think that we still feel uneasy about runnig around in Nazi-uniforms. Also, sometimes you might meet people with an affection of this time which is -err-going a little too far.

(Just a remark: is it just my obeservation, that mostly war, military and battles are reenacted ? Is it rather a male thing to do so ? I do not know.)

regards
ze germanguy

Howdy , What do you think of the islamization of Germany?

Hi Mr Fitnah,

nice to meet you..

Re the so-called islamization of Germany / Europe, I do not see this is happening.

Regards
the germanguy

Thanks
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEXWjlgJ83E]YouTube - WHAT ISLAM IS NOT[/ame]
Whoa,

well-done video, nontheless a little one-sided (to put it mildly).

I think everybody mixes militant islam with islam.

Any video about radical christians, jews, sikhs or hindus will look similar. Also, if the number of immigrants in your society is higher than 1,5 - 2 % you will have problems.
But you would have the same problems if penguins or followers of little green men would immigrate in that number.

What is done at the moment is to mingle problems of immigrant integration with terrorism, radical islam and problems of globalization. They are all connected, but still different problems, needing different approach.

On the other hand:
What would be the solution if the points stated in above video are true ?

Extradict every muslim ? Ban Islam ? Ban the Koran ?
Well, we already had our share of that with an other group in our history.
I do not think that this was a good solution.

My proposal is:
Everbody can worship whatever he wants, as long it does not affect our constitutional order. If someones religion demands certain clothing, methods of preparing food or certain behavior - as long it does not affect others - fine with me.

Also, as we are a republic, any symbol of any religion (the cross, the star of david, the burkha) is banned from any public institution. No crosses in court rooms, no burkha in school.
Also, there are the same regulations and laws for everyone - and the same schools, universities etc.

About everything else we can find agreements or debate about it.

To give you an example:
My son goes to a christian kindergarten. They make the children familiar with traditions like easter, christmas, thanksgiving etc. They go to church together etc.
About a third of these kids are muslims, sikhs, hindus and I know of two atheists.

As some kids are vegetarian and some are muslims, we all together decided to have the daily menu without pork and meat only on two days. The parents agreed and now nobody makes a fuss about it.

No problem here. Why ?
Because all families, whatever their religious believes are, are pretty middle-class. That they have in common and want for their children simply good education and proper friends for their children.

Do I feel islamized ? On the contrary, my muslim neighbours are friendly people and their islam has nothing in common with Al Quaida or any other radical islam.
There are areas in larger cities of germany, where you do not get very far without turkish, but there are the same areas in every western city. But remeber about the China Towns in US cities.

Regards
ze germanguy

The easiest way is "Eintopf", the german version of a stew.

Just take:

3 to 4 heads of green cabbage
500 grams of speck, if not available take bacon
10 middle sized onions
per person 100 g smoked pork chop
(if this is not available any kind of smoked sausage will do)
also per person 2 to 3 large potatoes

Now cut the speck in little pieces, as well as the onions.
Put speck and onions together into a large enough pot for 30 persons.
Medium heat.
The green cabbage is cut to little pieces and added to the onions, when these become "milky". They must not become brown or black !
When the cabbage is becoming "wobbly", add some water or bouillon.
When the cabbage is done, add the potatoes and the pork chops to the cabbage.

The longer the mass is boiled on low to medium flame, the better the taste.
Also add some salt, pepper and caraway (! otherwise you will "gas" your neighbour).

This is a very hearthy meal, classic in my region when very cold.
It will taste even better when warmed up one day after preparing.
But it should be rather cold when this is eaten (also cabbage is better in winter !).

In regard of re-enactments of WWII, they are not particular popular here.
But I know of friends in Britain who love to run around in Wehrmacht uniforms (they say they look cooler than the english ones). Not my cup of tea, but as long they do not invade Poland, let them play.

Regards
ze germanguy

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds extremely good, I'll give it a try for the next big event.
As for WWII reenacting/living history, I'm a history buff and the period from 1930 to 1950 is a passion of mine. I also do British and Russian and on occasion Union (Federal), American Civil War. Most of what we do is to present a "living history" for people as an adjunct to simply reading or watching history in a book or on TV.

This recipe works even better if you have something called "Gulaschkanone". These are the large field-cooking thingies the german army had in the world wars. If you prepare this stuff in one pot for a whole company, the taste is even better.
Anyway.
I am a history buff as well, but with three little children I do not have much spare time.
In Germany the Middle-Ages are more popular I think (for whatever reason). You have large events where hundreds of people meet and reenact this time.
Also, not my cup of tea as well.
I only think that we still feel uneasy about runnig around in Nazi-uniforms. Also, sometimes you might meet people with an affection of this time which is -err-going a little too far.

(Just a remark: is it just my obeservation, that mostly war, military and battles are reenacted ? Is it rather a male thing to do so ? I do not know.)

regards
ze germanguy

One of the other German reenactment units has a working Gulaschkanone that they use. I understand the Germans' reluctance to wear uniforms of that period though we do have a small number here that join us. We have only had a couple of isolated incidents of people being "stupid" about the uniforms, example - calling us Nazis but 99.9% know we are simply portraying soldiers of a particular time period, you know, acting.
There are some who "play" Colonial era, western (late 1800s), the 1950s and 1960s but for the most part wars are the defining moments in time for the majority of people.
And yes, it's mostly a male thing, big boys with their toys.
Thanks again for the info.

I don't do fig leafs when it comes to Islam.
There may be moderate muslims, but there is no moderate Islam.

Sorry - I do not understand the expression fig leafs, what does that mean ?

And: No religion is moderate, if taken bloody serious.
Take a hardcore newborn christ or orthodox jew or whatever and start a debate with them about the stupidity of not using a lift on Sabbath or about Darwin´s theory.
Great fun it will be.

My personal experience of muslims and the islam so far was that I only found warm, very
hospital people. They have other concerns than djihad against the US and lead a normal life.

Also I have experienced, that THE ISLAM does not exist. A muslim from Malaysia has different views than a muslim from here or from Saudi Arabia.

But if you choose to refuse even to look closer, i can not help it.

regards

ze germanguy

Last edited:
The terms militant radical are fig leafs used to divert attention away from the fundamental tenants of Islam.

Noble Qur’an 2:190 Footnote: “Jihad is holy fighting in Allah’s Cause with full force of numbers and weaponry. It is given the utmost importance in Islam and is one of its pillars. By Jihad Islam is established, Allah’s Word is made superior (which means only Allah has the right to be worshiped), and Islam is propagated. By abandoning Jihad Islam is destroyed and Muslims fall into an inferior position; their honor is lost, their lands are stolen, their rule and authority vanish. Jihad is an obligatory duty in Islam on every Muslim. He who tries to escape from this duty, or does not fulfill this duty, dies as a hypocrite.”

The terms militant radical are fig leafs used to divert attention away from the fundamental tenants of Islam.

Noble Qur’an 2:190 Footnote: “Jihad is holy fighting in Allah’s Cause with full force of numbers and weaponry. It is given the utmost importance in Islam and is one of its pillars. By Jihad Islam is established, Allah’s Word is made superior (which means only Allah has the right to be worshiped), and Islam is propagated. By abandoning Jihad Islam is destroyed and Muslims fall into an inferior position; their honor is lost, their lands are stolen, their rule and authority vanish. Jihad is an obligatory duty in Islam on every Muslim. He who tries to escape from this duty, or does not fulfill this duty, dies as a hypocrite.”

Ok - Islam (according to Mr Fitnah) is crap.
And now ?
Ban it ?
Then I want creationism, hypocracy, idiocy and self-righteousness be banned as well.
1000 EURO fee if expressed in private or public. If beeing a religious belief, eternal exile on St. Helena.

And I will think about other things to ban as well, but one step after the other...

I think this will help.

If not, we will have to do it the hard way:
Convince the stupid, teach them or just ignore them and keep them away from things sharp or edgy.

regards
ze germanguy

Forum List

Back