Hello from Washington, D.C.

Thought I'd introduce myself and ask a question too.

I'm a management consultant/CPA with 320 years of ancestry in America, Maryland, and, since 1790, Washington, D.C., and, for the whole of my life, I have lived in downtown D.C. Surprisingly, though part of my family hails from D.C., we've never had a prominent role in government. That said, being from the seat of U.S. government, having an interest in and opinions about political matters is unavoidable. After all, when one lives around embassies, sends one's kids to the same schools as do politicos, and just generally socializes in D.C., one either is conversant re: politics and issues, or one is a wallflower. LOL

I have three kids, all 18+,and I'm divorced from a former Swiss national. I love to travel, and I chose a career path that facilitates that interest. My career began in U.S., but for just over the past decade, I've been working in Asia, mostly the PRC, and Western Europe, most often London. My hobbies include, personal travel, tennis, squash, watch collecting, cooking, occasionally entertaining, boating, reading (pretty much any topic is interesting to me), bridge and pinochle.

I stumbled upon this forum and noticed this post: Bush vs. Gore: The Endless Election . The thing that struck me is that unlike posts I see in many forums, is that it's fact based, well written and "essay style."

I'm not a "sound bite" commenter. I either have something to say, and I share my idea in argumentative essay form, or I keep mum when I feel I have insufficient knowledge on, or interest in, a topic to present a cogent exposition of my thoughts.

Given that the post referenced has those traits, I thought I'd, as part of my introduction, ask whether thoughtful and well argued posts, albeit not short, are received well here? I am asking because I've engaged in political discourse/debate in other forums and observed that many of them and their members don't care for "essay type" posts. I just figure shame on me if I don't know and don't ask....

Best regards.
gldn-welcome_zpsfmxqyfyn.gif

Welcome. Maryland is a very beautiful state. I am from Pennsylvania so we're practically neighbors. lol

Thank you.

To be most accurate, the only time before the 1980s that my ancestors lived in Maryland was prior to that state granting land to form the federal district. My parents and I moved to Maryland in the early 1980s, but I took up residence in D.C. immediately after finishing college. LOL

That said, MD, like PA, is quite lovely and even though the political boundaries aren't adjacent, D.C. is practically PA's neighbor. <winks>

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Forum List

Back