Hello from Vietnam

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by esthermoon, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Dalia

Dalia Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,583
    Thank and i put a picture of myself on the link that you give me esthermoon :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. esthermoon

esthermoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,875
    :smiliehug:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Circumcision is done for hygienic reasons, not for religious ones, which is why it became a common practice among non-Jewish peoples in the West; it was thought to be so among Jewish peoples way back when, and probably practiced by other peoples in the region as well. Some families have it done these days, others don't any more. No big secret. How effective it is at reducing urinary infections and the like I wouldn't know, haven't seen any recent studies on it.

4. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Almost all of 'The Old Grey Men' from the Ho era have passed on now, only a very few are left, and the younger generations are coming into power there, and they lean toward aligning with the U.S., and for obvious reasons. They have already opened up the country more so than the old men would have liked, and after the last one or two 'Grey Men' pass, which will be very soon, things will get opened up more, though the 'global economy' may implode even more by then, and it may not matter much, who knows.

They are my favorite Asian people and cultures, along with Malaysian Christian Chinese.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. QuickHitCurepon

QuickHitCurepon Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,837
    Welcome to USMB. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. esthermoon

esthermoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,875
    Thank you!! :bye1::smiliehug:

7. anotherlife

anotherlife Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Hey Esther, do you do Christmas in Vietnam? I think Vietnam is not a principally Christian country, so I am wondering. Or do you celebrate Diwali(?) the fest of light instead, like India does?

8. esthermoon

esthermoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,875
    Hey! We have Christmas here unless our country is not "completely" Christian. There are Christians here (more in the South than in the North) but not too much.
    Even in my Buddhist family we say "happy Christmas" to each other every December 25 :)
    I think it's a tradition French leave to us!

9. anotherlife

anotherlife Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Yay this is interesting. Here in France, Christmas is the biggest national holiday. I am curious about Buddhism, and now that you said you were Buddhist, I am wondering about this. Do nations get reincarnated? France is over 1000 years old but still it can be wiped off the map by an aggressor. Also, many countries have been erased. Can they come back, like individual people can be reborn? In south France, there was a very popular Christian sect in the 1200s, called the Albigenses, who believed in both Christian and some Buddhist teachings simultaneously. They held too, that Jesus Christ, between his childhood and start of adult mission, visited Buddhist monasteries. How do I learn more about Buddhism, especially the part that non human objects play in the cycle, like stones, plants, and animals? This is sooo interesting!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. esthermoon

esthermoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,875
    Hey anotherlife! :bye1:
    You know Buddhism is not a "consistent" religion. Like Christianity we have many different religious denominations.
    My family follows Mahayana which is one of the prominet form of Buddhism in Asia and in the world I believe :)
    Anyway I don't know any form of Buddhism that believes in reincarnation of Nations
    If you want to learn more about Buddhism I can recommend you a book written by an Italian philosopher and writer Julius Evola
    The book is "The doctrine of awakening".
    It's the best book about Buddhism written by a westerner writer I've ever read :)

• Informative Informative x 1