'Hello' from the land of enchantment, New Mexico

How will New Mexico go in the election?
OH and welcome to the board.
In your opinion and observations

Last edited:

People in New Mexico used to go for former Governor Bill Richardson's machine. Today people joke there is no Democratic Party in New Mexico anymore, there is instead the Mexico Party. Richardson cooperated with the Mexican governors frequently. It became so bad that at the last governor's meeting, Texas, California, and Arizona did not show, only Bill Richardson. Richardson is a dirty word in New Mexico. He betrayed the Clintons who pumped him up to look important, then he back-stabbed them in the 2008 primary.

Republican Susana Martinez was elected governor in 2010 and I voted for her. She promised to pull 90,000 drivers licenses given to illegals by Bill Richardson. So far two efforts in the legislature have failed. I do not think the Republicans are strong enough yet to push the Democrats out of the State legislature. U. S. Congressional candidates are strong in both parties, the seats could go either way. I think the Martinez broken promise on pulling illegal drivers licenses will be a drag on the Republicans.

Last edited:

People in New Mexico used to go for former Governor Bill Richardson's machine. Today people joke there is no Democratic Party in New Mexico anymore, there is instead the Mexico Party. Richardson cooperated with the Mexican governors frequently. It became so bad that at the last governor's meeting, Texas, California, and Arizona did not show, only Bill Richardson. Richardson is a dirty word in New Mexico. He betrayed the Clintons who pumped him up to look important, then he back-stabbed them in the 2008 primary.

Republican Susana Martinez was elected governor in 2010 and I voted for her. She promised to pull 90,000 drivers licenses given to illegals by Bill Richardson. So far two efforts in the legislature have failed. I do not think the Republicans are strong enough yet to push the Democrats out of the State legislature. U. S. Congressional candidates are strong in both parties, the seats could go either way. I think the Martinez broken promise on pulling illegal drivers licenses will be a drag on the Republicans.

Richardson did a pay to play scheme and your state lost $90 million in pension funds. Why the hell isn't he in jail?

And btw, his PAC that he used to accept bribes / funnel funds; Moving America Forward. Sound familiar? Obama had tapped him to be Secretary of Commerce until the scandal broke.

So what you're saying is that New Mexico will not be a cake walk for obama? Such as what the media has been peddling?

Richardson did a pay to play scheme and your state lost $90 million in pension funds. Why the hell isn't he in jail?

And btw, his PAC that he used to accept bribes / funnel funds; Moving America Forward. Sound familiar? Obama had tapped him to be Secretary of Commerce until the scandal broke.

Richardson isn't in jail because he knows where too many 'bodies' are buried and has high friends in high places who don't want him to tell anybody. Northern New Mexico is solid Democrat and unlikely to change in our lifetime. Eastern New Mexico is pretty conservative and will usually elect a Republican.

But for the Presidential race, New Mexico is currently heavily blue. I don't know how bad it would have to get to turn it red this time.

We gave up the excitement of the city for the family environment of historic New Mexico. The emphasis is on family here. While New Mexico is primarily Mexican-American, it is an integrated community of people who enjoy a slower pace of life.

how do you feel about jeeps and NASA???

You are not going to get an argument out of me about Richardson. The more we hear the worse it gets.

As to the Secretary of Commerce thing, there are a number of stories going around about that. I don't believe the offer was ever sincere. I think it was designed to pull Mexican American voters to the polls for Obama.

Keep in mind Richardson was a nothing but a carpetbagging Congressman from New Mexico until the Clinton's needed an Hispanic to showcase, (remember President Clinton's cabinet will look like America with racial representation the same as the national population?). Richardson goes to the Dept of Energy, the UN, and he is a big diplomat in Korea.

Then in the Democratic primaries it looked like Obama would take New Mexico, and Richardson jumped from Clinton to Obama. The Clintons gave him everything he was, and he betrayed them. It got really nasty in New Mexico. Statements were being made like "Typical Mexican, loyalty only to himself." The Clintons had been frequent guests at the New Mexico Governor's mansion. They were considered close personal friends of Richardson. All that ended abruptly.

Story is Obama never trusted Richardson, but used him for the Mexican-American votes. Almost immediately after the election, kickbacks were tied to Richardson. The Democratic Party still can't get the Richardson stink off it. Nearly everyone voted to put Republican Susana Martinez in the governor's office. Voters chopped the head off the Richardson machine. Unless Richardson makes a deal, I think he could go to jail. Revenge moves slowly in New Mexico, they are still shafting politicians from the 1990s. They like to draw out that punishment, it is one of the ways that we still follow Old Mexico.

You are not going to get an argument out of me about Richardson. The more we hear the worse it gets.

As to the Secretary of Commerce thing, there are a number of stories going around about that. I don't believe the offer was ever sincere. I think it was designed to pull Mexican American voters to the polls for Obama.

Keep in mind Richardson was a nothing but a carpetbagging Congressman from New Mexico until the Clinton's needed an Hispanic to showcase, (remember President Clinton's cabinet will look like America with racial representation the same as the national population?). Richardson goes to the Dept of Energy, the UN, and he is a big diplomat in Korea.

Then in the Democratic primaries it looked like Obama would take New Mexico, and Richardson jumped from Clinton to Obama. The Clintons gave him everything he was, and he betrayed them. It got really nasty in New Mexico. Statements were being made like "Typical Mexican, loyalty only to himself." The Clintons had been frequent guests at the New Mexico Governor's mansion. They were considered close personal friends of Richardson. All that ended abruptly.

Story is Obama never trusted Richardson, but used him for the Mexican-American votes. Almost immediately after the election, kickbacks were tied to Richardson. The Democratic Party still can't get the Richardson stink off it. Nearly everyone voted to put Republican Susana Martinez in the governor's office. Voters chopped the head off the Richardson machine. Unless Richardson makes a deal, I think he could go to jail. Revenge moves slowly in New Mexico, they are still shafting politicians from the 1990s. They like to draw out that punishment, it is one of the ways that we still follow Old Mexico.

Mmm. I don't think you should confuse "slow revenge" with apathy. We'll see though. It's an interesting perspective at least.

As for the Secretary of Commerce job; that was real. He had been officially nominated and he withdrew his name a month before his confirmation hearings in the Senate when he was told they would discuss the scandal.

Did you think Richardson was going to throw his hat to Obama without getting nothing in return? A high level cabinet position was part of the deal. Just like Secretary of State was part of the deal for Hillary Clinton when she withdrew from the presidential race. What? You think that Obama really even likes Hillary? Come on now.

Mmm. I don't think you should confuse "slow revenge" with apathy. We'll see though. It's an interesting perspective at least.

As for the Secretary of Commerce job; that was real. He had been officially nominated and he withdrew his name a month before his confirmation hearings in the Senate when he was told they would discuss the scandal.

Did you think Richardson was going to throw his hat to Obama without getting nothing in return? A high level cabinet position was part of the deal. Just like Secretary of State was part of the deal for Hillary Clinton when she withdrew from the presidential race. What? You think that Obama really even likes Hillary? Come on now.

New Mexico is a very small State, and you might be surprised how small town it is. The son of the former Mayor of Albuquerque lives two doors down, and now he is running for Congress. It is not as impressive as if it was California or Illinois. We joke that we learn more at the deli in the grocery store than we do from the Albuquerque Journal!

I don't think Obama and Clinton could have fought as hard as they did in 2008 without some serious bruising. As an Anglo, I do not pretend to understand the political thinking of Hispanics, but I don't trust any of them. This business of extended families is beyond me. Yet, I was in one of the old Albuquerque neighborhoods when Mexican American homeowners were pressuring the Feds to get the illegals out of their neighborhood. It is a shame to see barbed wire on top of concrete fences in a well-kept residential neighborhood.

Anglo or Hispanic consider this. I am a Congressperson from a boondocks State. You pump me up to cabinet level, international diplomat, and U. N. Ambassador. Your wife runs for POTUS and I endorse her. Just before the primary in my State, I switch and endorse your wife's opponent. Your wife is humiliated nationally at a key moment. Are you just going to let that slide, Mr. Former POTUS? And what of your wife's opponent, does he realize that down the road I could turn on him just as I did on you.

I would put this in the unforgivable sin category with payback to follow. Bill Clinton has a ferocious temper. I heard that after the disastrous 1994 off year election his goal in 1996 was to defeat two U. S. Senators, one from each party! I can believe it.

Forum List

Back