Hello from Central PA

Steelplate

Bluesman
Apr 25, 2011
Central PA
My name is Jim and I'm from Central Pennsylvania.

I am a Commonwealth employee who works with the Developmentally Disabled. I am an Avid Steelers Fan(reason for "Steel" in my Nick) and also am a semi-professional musician. I play in an acoustic blues trio who has a small local following.

Politically, I am pretty liberal. However, I can be a realist and am fairly open minded. After a long stint as a Republican I recently switched to the Democratic Party. Why? Well, when I joined the GOP, I was 18 and did so basically because my parents were bother Republicans. But my leanings were always more Democratic, I was just too young to know the difference. As time went on, I really didn't vote along my party's lines and shortly before the 2008 election I decided to make the change.

Well, anyway... thanks for having me and hope to talk to you all soon!

Jim

I am a Commonwealth employee who works with the Developmentally Disabled. I am an Avid Steelers Fan(reason for "Steel" in my Nick) and also am a semi-professional musician. I play in an acoustic blues trio who has a small local following.

Politically, I am pretty liberal. However, I can be a realist and am fairly open minded. After a long stint as a Republican I recently switched to the Democratic Party. Why? Well, when I joined the GOP, I was 18 and did so basically because my parents were bother Republicans. But my leanings were always more Democratic, I was just too young to know the difference. As time went on, I really didn't vote along my party's lines and shortly before the 2008 election I decided to make the change.

Jim

Jimmy, you sound far too reasonable for this board....are you sure you didn't make a wrong turn somewhere?

Welcome.

Jim

Hello. A realist and fairly open minded liberal Democrat???? You're shitting me, right?

Welcome.

Don't drink that PA water. We all know it's contaminated by carcinogenics carelessly dumped into rivers by the evil people drilling shale gas and employing thousands in your state.

Hello. A realist and fairly open minded liberal Democrat???? You're shitting me, right?

Hey... as long as we all agree that the pandering to Corporate America by bought off politicians(from both parties) is what is ruining our country and not the working class, unions and "welfare bums"? I'm reasonable as heck.

Welcome.

Don't drink that PA water. We all know it's contaminated by carcinogenics carelessly dumped into rivers by the evil people drilling shale gas and employing thousands in your state.

Thanks for your welcome!

So far our water is OK. I do live in rural PA, and our water does come from ground water. As far as Marcellus Shale and the exponential increases in Natural Gas Mining? I just hope the hell they know what they are doing, because if they don't... they won't be in business long. The lawsuits will kill them... oh, who am I kidding? They'll just buy off whoever they have to to make it go away.

Remember something.. Industry is good.. even great. However... you can't drink money and I am not real confident when it comes to Industrial honesty in these things. However, I am a realist and while I am skeptical as to the eventual outcome of this particular industry's impact on ground water, I am hoping they have their collective crap together and it will end up a win/win.

In other words... I hope I'm wrong about my own misgivings.

Welcome! My wife and I live about 15 miles from Gettysburg.

Thanks! The Gettysburg area is a beautiful spot. Love it in Southern PA where the hills flatten out a little and become the more gradual, rolling variety. Also rich in history. Been there many times and always stop off at Gettysbrew to fill my growler!

I live in Snyder County, where cows outnumber people and where the standard greeting is "didyagetyerdeeryet?" in the fall. Now, just because I'm a "Lib" and poking fun at my neck of the woods... Gun Control is something that I am fairly Conservative on. Maybe it's because I was raised a country boy, But I think that aside from assault weapons and rocket launchers, people should be allowed to own guns, even handguns(minus the 30 round clips, anyway).

If you go about 50 miles N of Harrisburg, your getting into my stomping Grounds.

Hey... as long as we all agree that the pandering to Corporate America by bought off politicians(from both parties) is what is ruining our country and not the working class, unions and "welfare bums"? I'm reasonable as heck.

Interesting, very interesting statement. Sacred cows abound.

Welcome.

Welcome.

He's absolutely right.

Welcome. Sorry about that 'Steelers fan' thing. I'm fairly sure it's a mental defect and I'm sure they'll find a cure real soon. ;)

Welcome.

He's absolutely right.

Welcome. Sorry about that 'Steelers fan' thing. I'm fairly sure it's a mental defect and I'm sure they'll find a cure real soon. ;)

Which he?

Oh, and I guarantee you sacred cow worshipers are even now taking what I'm saying and expanding on it to fit your own paradigm, ya know reading into based on your bias as opposed to simply reading. Have a nice day! :D

I was with you until you mentioned the unions. Unions, and their members, are nothing more than organized thugs. I'm very anti-union.

I was with you until you mentioned the unions. Unions, and their members, are nothing more than organized thugs. I'm very anti-union.

I am very much Pro-Union. I disagree with the organized thugs part anyway. Unions are trying to do right by their members. Striking is not thuggery, at least not anymore than lowballing wages and screaming for even more tax cuts, buying off politicians and hoarding money in tax haven countries is for our fine, upstanding business community, not to mention holding the American working people hostage by threatening to move operations to "slave labor" countries(or actually doing it) if they don't bow down to them.

But, as I said in my opening post, I am a realist. Unions need to be a little less dogmatic and a little more pragmatic. But until both sides of the labor/management debate can be open and transparent... real and honest negotiations can't take place like they should.

In short, if you want unions to be reasonable in their demands come contract time, then management should bring their books along, open them up and say... "this is what we're dealing with". As it is now, it's like trying to negotiate at a car lot. Where one never really knows the best deal they can give. All you get is.. "I'll have to talk to my manager".

But then... if Management were willing to do that.. there wouldn't really be any need for Unions, would there?

where cows outnumber people and where the standard greeting is "didyagetyerdeeryet?"

I also live in Central PA., Bedford County and your quoted saying is the same here. Welcome and have fun.

New Topics

Forum List

Back