Hello from a discontented American

ShackledNation

Libertarian
Jun 16, 2011
California
Hi everyone,

Hope you guys aren't all statists, because that will be a problem for a libertarian like me who believes in a limited constitutional Republic. I am a college student studying in Southern California who loves politics, computers, and music. Unforunately, I hate the way this country is heading and I fear for my future. I am one of those kids and grandkids whose future you old folks claim you are saving :tongue:

In short, I support free market Austrian economics, advocate noninterventionist foreign policies, appreciate high skepticism of government, and demand liberty across the board. But we need to be practical about how we go about doing it.nLooking forward to debating all that with everyone here!

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys aren't all statists, because that will be a problem for a libertarian like me who believes in a limited constitutional Republic. I am a college student studying in Southern California who loves politics, computers, and music. Unforunately, I hate the way this country is heading and I fear for my future. I am one of those kids and grandkids whose future you old folks claim you are saving :tongue:

In short, I support free market Austrian economics, advocate noninterventionist foreign policies, appreciate high skepticism of government, and demand liberty across the board. But we need to be practical about how we go about doing it.nLooking forward to debating all that with everyone here!

Welcome to USMB.

I like your sigline

Hi everyone,

The jousting events can get lively. Hope ya brought a full suit of armor with ya and if not I'm currently running a special on used suits. Careful, some haven't been cleaned......... :eusa_whistle:
Welcome!

obama-always-welcome.jpg

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys aren't all statists, because that will be a problem for a libertarian like me ...

Welcome!

Like anywhere else, most folks around here are caught up in the left/right/Democrat/Republican/Coke/Pepsi nonsense, but there's a fair number of us libertarians around.

Last edited:
I'm in Sunny Southern Cal myself. Welcome aboard! I feel much the same as you about all of the issues mentioned in your OP (Opening Post). I, however, am a Flaming Liberal.

About what you can expect here - we have good guys and bad guys. They will make themselves known to you quickly enough. I don't see any bad guys who have posted on this thread thus far.

Hi everyone,

Welcome. I am a JFK liberal who has lived long enough to know how great America was when liberals ran the country. But, your beliefs seem to be in vogue these days.

Please tell me why America should follow the ideology of 19th century German, and Austro-Hungary rather than the 18th century Anglo-American ideas our founding fathers left as their legacy?

Free market really sounds great, too bad there is no such thing. All markets are constructed.

I see you quote Hayek. Here is an enlightening article he wrote.

Why I Am Not a Conservative

By Nobel laureate F. A. Hayek

"The equal rights of man, and the happiness of every individual, are now acknowledged to be the only legitimate objects of government. Modern times have the signal advantage, too, of having discovered the only device by which these rights can be secured, to wit: government by the people, acting not in person, but by representatives chosen by themselves, that is to say, by every man of ripe years and sane mind, who contributes either by his purse or person to the support of his country." --Thomas Jefferson to A. Coray, 1823. ME 15:482

Hi everyone,

Welcome. I am a JFK liberal who has lived long enough to know how great America was when liberals ran the country. But, your beliefs seem to be in vogue these days.

Please tell me why America should follow the ideology of 19th century German, and Austro-Hungary rather than the 18th century Anglo-American ideas our founding fathers left as their legacy?

Free market really sounds great, too bad there is no such thing. All markets are constructed.

"The equal rights of man, and the happiness of every individual, are now acknowledged to be the only legitimate objects of government. Modern times have the signal advantage, too, of having discovered the only device by which these rights can be secured, to wit: government by the people, acting not in person, but by representatives chosen by themselves, that is to say, by every man of ripe years and sane mind, who contributes either by his purse or person to the support of his country." --Thomas Jefferson to A. Coray, 1823. ME 15:482

Interesting article. Here is a quote from it:

The typical conservative is indeed usually a man of very strong moral convictions. What I mean is that he has no political principles which enable him to work with people whose moral values differ from his own for a political order in which both can obey their convictions.

Hi everyone,

Hence why I am a libertarian, like Hayek and Jefferson, and not a conservative. Do you even know what Austrian economics is? I am not talking about an economic system that was once followed in Austria and Hungary. The reason the school of thought is called Austrian economics is because that is where the originators were born (and the most prominent ones ended up living in America, like Hayek, Rothbard, Mises, etc.)

My beliefs? In vogue? Are you kidding? Do you even know what libertarianism is?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back