Hello everyone!

Being prepared is one of the first things I learned in school, in fact it's second nature to me.

Then my first question JeannieD; if you do prepare, how could you possibly be right leaning? The truth has a very liberal bias.

Your turn: Has Obama exacerbated the racial divide, or has he helped to close the gap? What steps has he taken?

I don't believe President Obama has exacerbated the racial divide. As a matter of fact, I give him credit for calling out black fathers for not living up to their responsibilities.

Maybe your right wing sources just forgot to tell you?

Obama’s Father’s Day Remarks

excerpt:

Of all the rocks upon which we build our lives, we are reminded today that family is the most important. And we are called to recognize and honor how critical every father is to that foundation. They are teachers and coaches. They are mentors and role models. They are examples of success and the men who constantly push us toward it.

But if we are honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that what too many fathers also are is missing – missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.

You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled – doubled – since we were children. We know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.

How many times in the last year has this city lost a child at the hands of another child? How many times have our hearts stopped in the middle of the night with the sound of a gunshot or a siren? How many teenagers have we seen hanging around on street corners when they should be sitting in a classroom? How many are sitting in prison when they should be working, or at least looking for a job? How many in this generation are we willing to lose to poverty or violence or addiction? How many?

Yes, we need more cops on the street. Yes, we need fewer guns in the hands of people who shouldn’t have them. Yes, we need more money for our schools, and more outstanding teachers in the classroom, and more afterschool programs for our children. Yes, we need more jobs and more job training and more opportunity in our communities.

But we also need families to raise our children. We need fathers to realize that responsibility does not end at conception. We need them to realize that what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child – it’s the courage to raise one.

There is no sin except stupidity.
Oscar Wilde

Then my first question JeannieD; if you do prepare, how could you possibly be right leaning? The truth has a very liberal bias.

You sound as is you are eager to debate with and vett me, which is fine. I'll start out by saying one thing, which is that I didn't join here to try to persuade nor to necessarily be persuaded.

That said, as an independent I have no party affiliation and I'm not in love either presidential candidate this go round. I find myself in the position of picking the lesser of two evils.

The biggest issue for me that causes me to lean more to the right is government entitlement spending. Rather than post a bunch of links that break the numbers down by each individual entitlement program i.e. food stamps, TANF, Medicaid etc., I'll post a couple for now:

Who receives government benefits, in six charts

Social security:

A record 5.4 million workers and their dependents have signed up to collect federal disability checks since President Obama took office, according to the latest official government data, as discouraged workers increasingly give up looking for jobs and take advantage of the federal program.

By April there were a total of 10.8 million people on disability, according to Social Security Administration data released this week. Even after accounting for all those who've left the program — about 700,000 drop out each year, mainly because they hit retirement age or died — that's up 53% from a decade ago

Read More At IBD: Disabled America: 5.4 Million Join Social Security Disability Insurance Rolls Under Obama - Investors.com

Social Security claims are currently being rushed through the approval process without adequate review due in part to a backlog of claims and understaffing. Eventually, there will come a time where there is a crackdown on Social Security recipients and innocent people with legitimate disabilities will be placed under intense scrutiny and caught up in the net.

Social Security wrongly awarding disability benefits? | Fox News Video

So you are blaming President Obama for demographics (increase of disability claims) and the fact were are recovering from the worst recession since the Great Depression (increase in food stamps, TANF, Medicaid etc.)?

Then, you are expecting your two right wing sources to tell you the truth?

Do you know what the Social Security Act entails?

The Social Security Act of 1935 (Public Law 74-271) created the Federal-State Unemployment Compensation (UC) Program. The program has two main objectives: (1) to provide temporary and partial wage replacement to involuntarily unemployed workers who were recently employed; and (2) to help stabilize the economy during recessions.

As I said, the truth has a very liberal bias. Why? Because liberals always invest very heavily in human capital. Would you just cut off these elderly, children and disabled?

During the Great Depression conservatives raised objections to F.D.R.’s programs. They said the economy must be left alone and it would correct itself in the long run. Commerce Secretary Harry Hopkins shot back: “People don’t eat in the long run. They eat every day.”

1) I'm not sure what makes you think I need to justify myself to you.

2) As I mentioned in my original reply, I said I would provide a couple sources, not that I only *have* a couple sources. I have no desire to jump through hoops or spend my time searching for links at your behest. Just because you dislike a source doesn't make the facts any less true.

3) Your citation is out of date and obsolete. There have been many amendments to the Social Security Act of 1935. Social Security currently provides benefits to the disabled, retirees and survivors. It is not intended to be a resource for malingerers who have exhausted all other avenues of receiving handouts.

4) I do not believe that benefits should be cut off for elderly, children and disabled. Children who are survivors or have a legitimate disability are entitled to collect under the current system. Otherwise, the parents have the options to support their children themselves or avail themselves of TANF and/or WIC.

I am 100% disabled. I have a debilitating, life threatening illness that recently necessitated a month long hospital stay followed by a short stay in a nursing home. I'm 44 years old.

The people who abuse a system ruin it for everyone. I will say it again; eventually, there will come a time where there is a crackdown on Social Security recipients who do not use the system as it is intended and innocent people with legitimate disabilities will be placed under intense scrutiny and caught up in the net.

Recently I read an article about people who are not disabled and are requesting wheelchairs at airports in order to avoid the inconvenience of the security lines. These people have abused and ruined the system for people with genuine disabilities.

I'm off to peruse the forums now, I've spent too much time on my Introductions thread. See you in the forums.

You sound as is you are eager to debate with and vett me, which is fine. I'll start out by saying one thing, which is that I didn't join here to try to persuade nor to necessarily be persuaded.

That said, as an independent I have no party affiliation and I'm not in love either presidential candidate this go round. I find myself in the position of picking the lesser of two evils.

The biggest issue for me that causes me to lean more to the right is government entitlement spending. Rather than post a bunch of links that break the numbers down by each individual entitlement program i.e. food stamps, TANF, Medicaid etc., I'll post a couple for now:

Who receives government benefits, in six charts

Social security:

Read More At IBD: Disabled America: 5.4 Million Join Social Security Disability Insurance Rolls Under Obama - Investors.com

Social Security claims are currently being rushed through the approval process without adequate review due in part to a backlog of claims and understaffing. Eventually, there will come a time where there is a crackdown on Social Security recipients and innocent people with legitimate disabilities will be placed under intense scrutiny and caught up in the net.

Social Security wrongly awarding disability benefits? | Fox News Video

So you are blaming President Obama for demographics (increase of disability claims) and the fact were are recovering from the worst recession since the Great Depression (increase in food stamps, TANF, Medicaid etc.)?

The Social Security Act of 1935 (Public Law 74-271) created the Federal-State Unemployment Compensation (UC) Program. The program has two main objectives: (1) to provide temporary and partial wage replacement to involuntarily unemployed workers who were recently employed; and (2) to help stabilize the economy during recessions.

As I said, the truth has a very liberal bias. Why? Because liberals always invest very heavily in human capital. Would you just cut off these elderly, children and disabled?

During the Great Depression conservatives raised objections to F.D.R.’s programs. They said the economy must be left alone and it would correct itself in the long run. Commerce Secretary Harry Hopkins shot back: “People don’t eat in the long run. They eat every day.”

2) As I mentioned in my original reply, I said I would provide a couple sources, not that I only *have* a couple sources. I have no desire to jump through hoops or spend my time searching for links at your behest. Just because you dislike a source doesn't make the facts any less true.

3) Your citation is out of date and obsolete. There have been many amendments to the Social Security Act of 1935. Social Security currently provides benefits to the disabled, retirees and survivors. It is not intended to be a resource for malingerers who have exhausted all other avenues of receiving handouts.

4) I do not believe that benefits should be cut off for elderly, children and disabled. Children who are survivors or have a legitimate disability are entitled to collect under the current system. Otherwise, the parents have the options to support their children themselves or avail themselves of TANF and/or WIC.

I am 100% disabled. I have a debilitating, life threatening illness that recently necessitated a month long hospital stay followed by a short stay in a nursing home. I'm 44 years old.

The people who abuse a system ruin it for everyone. I will say it again; eventually, there will come a time where there is a crackdown on Social Security recipients who do not use the system as it is intended and innocent people with legitimate disabilities will be placed under intense scrutiny and caught up in the net.

Recently I read an article about people who are not disabled and are requesting wheelchairs at airports in order to avoid the inconvenience of the security lines. These people have abused and ruined the system for people with genuine disabilities.

I'm off to peruse the forums now, I've spent too much time on my Introductions thread. See you in the forums.

You are using anecdotal evidence instead of facts. The truth is disability benefits are often denied to people who really need it. Not handed out like candy.

I have a close friend who became disabled in his 30's when a ladder he was on (working as a commercial electrician) slid out and he fell 25 ft. He severely injured his spine. He was put through the wringer to get benefits.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde

You are using anecdotal evidence instead of facts. The truth is disability benefits are often denied to people who really need it. Not handed out like candy.

I have a close friend who became disabled in his 30's when a ladder he was on (working as a commercial electrician) slid out and he fell 25 ft. He severely injured his spine. He was put through the wringer to get benefits.

Oscar Wilde

Not anecdotal, please see the links in my initial reply to you. More claims are being processed without adequate review in order to speed up the application and claims process.

If I were presenting an anecdote, I would tell you that it took me years of denials and an attorney to obtain approval for my claim. The physician representing the SS administration at my hearing was befuddled as to how my claim had been previously denied. This was before the huge surge in applicants. Surely someone such as yourself wouldn't identify the HuffPuff as a right wing source?

Social Security Awarding Disability Benefits Without Adequately Reviewing Applications: Report

I'm a noob, and although I have already made a few posts I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself to everyone.

I live in the PNW, and I'm a right leaning Independent who questions all sides. This looks like a great place with lots of great dialogue and also a place where a two sentence post can earn one an enemy for life :D

I look forward to being a part of the community.

Cheers!
Jeannie

Welcome!

Do yourself a HUUUUUGGGGEEEEE favor and put Truthmatters on ignore... that is one seriously ill puppy and widely regarded as the most dishonest person (I hesitate to use human being) on this board.

Have fun!

Your turn: Has Obama exacerbated the racial divide, or has he helped to close the gap? What steps has he taken?

I don't believe President Obama has exacerbated the racial divide. As a matter of fact, I give him credit for calling out black fathers for not living up to their responsibilities.

Oscar Wilde

That is a mighty long copy and paste, but I don't really see how calling on black fathers to handle their parental obligations helps to close the racial divide.
coolstorybrodog.jpg

Last edited:

Oscar Wilde

Not anecdotal, please see the links in my initial reply to you. More claims are being processed without adequate review in order to speed up the application and claims process.

If I were presenting an anecdote, I would tell you that it took me years of denials and an attorney to obtain approval for my claim. The physician representing the SS administration at my hearing was befuddled as to how my claim had been previously denied. This was before the huge surge in applicants. Surely someone such as yourself wouldn't identify the HuffPuff as a right wing source?

Social Security Awarding Disability Benefits Without Adequately Reviewing Applications: Report

Let me get this straight. You had to hire a lawyer to finally get your benefits. My friend had to go through the wringer to finally get his benefits. Even after he received benefits, they sent out people to spy on him to make sure he wasn't taking out the trash or cutting the grass.

Yet, a Republican run witch hunt headed by Senator Tom Colburn says they are handing it out like candy?

Maybe a CBO Report can clear up your misinformation.

Social Security Disability Enrollment Rising Due To Demographic Trends

A new report out Monday says the rise in America's ranks of disabled to 8.3 million in 2011 stems from an aging population, a surge in women workers, changes in the law in the 1980s and a terrible economy in which disabled people can't find jobs.

The study, by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, found that the biggest jumps in the disabled population came from aging Baby Boomers. From 1996 through 2009 -- "the approximate period during which the baby-boom generation entered their 50s -- the share of disabled worker benefits awarded to older workers (age 45 and older) rose from 67 percent to 76 percent," the report said.

Meanwhile, the share of benefits going to younger workers -- between the ages of 25 to 44 -- fell from 31 percent to 22 percent.

"Baby boomers' aging would have boosted enrollment in the DI program even if no other factors had changed," the report said.

Add to that the fact that more women have entered the workforce since 1970, boosting the working population and creating a larger pool of people who can become disabled.

A change in the law during the Reagan administration that allowed more people with mental disabilities and musculoskeletal problems to qualify also increased the number of people on disability. In 1990, such people accounted for 38 percent of workers in the SSDI program. In 2010, the number had risen to 54 percent.

To be eligible for disability, a person must prove he or she is unable to work due to a medical condition that will last at least a year. The average monthly benefit is $1,111.

Conservative Fox News firebrand Bill O'Reilly is among the many commentators suggesting the rise in disability enrollees is another sign of President Barack Obama's scheme to increase dependency.

"So why has the disability rate increased more than 100 percent? I'll tell you why. It's a con. It's easy to put in a bogus disability claim," O'Reilly said earlier this month. "Right now President Obama and the Democratic Party lead the league in entitlement spending and promoting a nanny state philosophy."

O'Reilly's assertion that it's easy to file for disability may come as a surprise to people who've tried. Ann Hatzakis of Denver said she last worked in 2007, when she left her waitressing job thanks to a "perfect storm" of migraine headaches and stress caused by mental illness. She tried to find office jobs, but she said nobody would call her back.

Hatzakis said she applied for disability benefits in 2009. Like 61 percent of all first-time claims, hers was denied. She said she has since developed Fibromyalgia -- which causes chronic pain throughout her body -- but the Social Security Administration suggested there were jobs she could do regardless. For instance, she was told she could handle the night shift at a bakery.

"But this was also at the middle of the economic downturn," Hatzakis, now 45, said in an interview. "Where are those jobs, and how do I get to them?"

In addition to demographic trends, the terrible economy has helped swell the rolls of America's disabled, from about 7.4 million in 2008 to 8.6 million in 2011, according to the Social Security Administration, which used a slightly different time frame than the CBO.

Oscar Wilde

That is a mighty long copy and paste, but I don't really see how calling on black fathers to handle their parental obligations helps to close the racial divide.

President Obama speech certainly doesn't exacerbate the racial divide. He is calling for personal responsibility. Do you have a problem with personal responsibility?

If you believe he has exacerbated the racial divide, please provide evidence?

Oscar Wilde

President Obama speech certainly doesn't exacerbate the racial divide. He is calling for personal responsibility. Do you have a problem with personal responsibility?

I didn't make a statement, I asked you a question that you can't answer in any way other that to cite a non sequitur about parental responsibility and therefore I do not need to provide you with evidence of anything. I responded to your request at length, why can't you respond to mine?

Nowhere in my response did I make any statement in reference to my beliefs regarding personal responsibility, I only made note of the fact that it is irrelevant to my question. You might as well have said "Hey, look - squirrel!". That would have been just as irrelevant and no, I don't a problem with squirrels either. :D

I didn't make a statement, I asked you a question that you can't answer in any way other that to cite a non sequitur about parental responsibility and therefore I do not need to provide you with evidence of anything. I responded to your request at length, why can't you respond to mine?

Nowhere in my response did I make any statement in reference to my beliefs regarding personal responsibility, I only made note of the fact that it is irrelevant to my question. You might as well have said "Hey, look - squirrel!". That would have been just as irrelevant and no, I don't a problem with squirrels either. :D

I did answer your question. I told you I don't believe President Obama has exacerbated the racial divide. So you must agree with me, or you would speak up.

But what he said in front of a group of blacks its not irrelevant, non sequitur, or as you say; "Hey, look - squirrel!". It speaks directly to the core of the racial divide. What is the racial divide? It is mostly economical. How do blacks make up that divide? By staying in school, getting an education and making a better life for themselves.

Obama said:

"We know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it"

If Obama's intent was to exacerbate the racial divide, he could have told them that it's not their fault, their ancestors were wronged, and they deserve a pass.

I did answer your question. I told you I don't believe President Obama has exacerbated the racial divide. So you must agree with me, or you would speak up.

But what he said in front of a group of blacks its not irrelevant, non sequitur, or as you say; "Hey, look - squirrel!". It speaks directly to the core of the racial divide. What is the racial divide? It is mostly economical. How do blacks make up that divide? By staying in school, getting an education and making a better life for themselves.

Obama said:

"We know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it"

If Obama's intent was to exacerbate the racial divide, he could have told them that it's not their fault, their ancestors were wronged, and they deserve a pass.

You missed part 2 of the question, that is what steps has he taken? I am not sure you understand the meaning of racial divide when you describe it as economical. An example of racial divide would be something like the Trayvon Martin case, which has nothing whatsoever to do with economics. Racial divide refers to the commutative interaction between all ethnic groups who live in America, not to income disparities.

Acknowledging the problems that are demonstrated by statistics is not a step in improving race relations. Going to school, getting an education and making a better life for oneself is admirable and will certainly improve conditions for those who avail themselves of such measures, I'm not convinced it will decrease race divide as it pertains to the issues.

I'm sorry but I get the feeling I'm getting trolled (I apologize if you are being serious), and I really won't be spending more time here in intros. I've introduced myself, made myself clear and I appreciate the welcome I've received from most. I truly do hope to see you in the forums.

trollingorstupid.jpg

Last edited:

Obama said:

You missed part 2 of the question, that is what steps has he taken? Acknowledging the problems that are demonstrated by statistics is a step in improving race relations? I suppose simply acknowledging a problem is considered a step, if you subscribe to the the AA creed that acknowledging a problem is the first step to getting help...but what comes after that? Simply telling people to do better improves race relations?

I'm sorry but I get the feeling I'm getting trolled (I apologize if you are being serious), and I really won't be spending more time here in intros. I've introduced myself, made myself clear and I appreciate the welcome I've received from most. I truly do hope to see you in the forums.

Trolled? WOW...it's time for you to step up the the plate. WHAT steps should he take?

Forum List

Back