Height Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I just heard a commercial for this drug on the radio (they call it "herbal supplements," but it's a drug), and I find it a bit demeaning. I'm only 5'8", shorter than any male on either side of the family. I've been short all my life and I've found it to come in handy quite often. It's not a disability. It's not a disease. It's simply a physical trait. That being the case, why is there now a drug to treat it? What's next, a drug that makes your fingers longer?

Hobbit said:
I just heard a commercial for this drug on the radio (they call it "herbal supplements," but it's a drug), and I find it a bit demeaning. I'm only 5'8", shorter than any male on either side of the family. I've been short all my life and I've found it to come in handy quite often. It's not a disability. It's not a disease. It's simply a physical trait. That being the case, why is there now a drug to treat it? What's next, a drug that makes your fingers longer?

Probably the same company that will sell you a pill that enables you to lose 90 pounds in a month.

Remember what P.T. Barnum said.

Hobbit said:

Short men and mama's boys cause 95% of the problems in this world. I've never met a short man who didn't have major mental and emotional problems. In your favor I wouldn't define short as 5'8". Depending on race 5'5" and shorter for most races, even shorter for Asians.

I am trying to find the study but for every inch over the average height (I believe to be 5' 10" for men) a man makes something like an extra $1000 or $1500 per year. There are numerous studies in academic journals about this sort of thing. There are similar studies about fat people making less money, but this is more true for women and the height relationship is more true for men.

elephant said:
I am trying to find the study but for every inch over the average height (I believe to be 5' 10" for men) a man makes something like an extra $1000 or $1500 per year. There are numerous studies in academic journals about this sort of thing. There are similar studies about fat people making less money, but this is more true for women and the height relationship is more true for men.

My wife told me about this yesterday. Good thing I'm 6'4"!

At my tallest, measured accurately by standing back against a wall,
and using a scale, I was about 5-8.25.

Although at the time I wanted to keep growing taller, I have since been happy with my height.

I've shrunk to about 5-7.75. I'm happy with that too.

Hobbit said:
Small guys with Napolean Syndrome are the worst, not that you are. But that aside, I think you're being a little thin-skinned if an herbal supplement to increase your height is "demeaning" to you...

The ClayTaurus said:
Small guys with Napolean Syndrome are the worst, not that you are. But that aside, I think you're being a little thin-skinned if an herbal supplement to increase your height is "demeaning" to you...

Ok, maybe I phrased it a little strongly, but after living my whole life as a fairly short person, I feel a little insulted that my height is considered a bad attribute that must be treated with drugs. Imagine society deciding that your foot size was too big or too small and offering some "herbal supplement" to fix it. I think these commercials of how you can make people taller are just going to make more people self concious about their height.

And as far as that height thing making you more money, that's probably skewed by the fact that most male celebrities (actors and pro athletes, especially basketball players) are tall. I, personally, have seen short, rich men and tall janitors before, so I'm not going to put a whole lot of stock in height making you money.

On Napoleon Syndrome, yeah, it blows. My company commander at the Naval Academy was a full 3 inches shorter than me, but more muscular than a body builder and mean as a pit bull. He's the main reason I had to run on my leg while it was broken.

Hobbit said:
Ok, maybe I phrased it a little strongly, but after living my whole life as a fairly short person, I feel a little insulted that my height is considered a bad attribute that must be treated with drugs. Imagine society deciding that your foot size was too big or too small and offering some "herbal supplement" to fix it. I think these commercials of how you can make people taller are just going to make more people self concious about their height.

And as far as that height thing making you more money, that's probably skewed by the fact that most male celebrities (actors and pro athletes, especially basketball players) are tall. I, personally, have seen short, rich men and tall janitors before, so I'm not going to put a whole lot of stock in height making you money.

On Napoleon Syndrome, yeah, it blows. My company commander at the Naval Academy was a full 3 inches shorter than me, but more muscular than a body builder and mean as a pit bull. He's the main reason I had to run on my leg while it was broken.

Height has always been that way, just like weight has been. Women are generally attracted to taller, stronger men. That doesn't mean that all are, but it goes back to that whole primal hunter gatherer thing. If some people want to be taller, or be tricked into thinking some herb will make them taller, who cares? I still think you're being a bit over-sensitive, especially since you're not a Democrat ;)

Remember that song "short people got no reason to live"? :D

The CFO at a corporation I used to work for was a little bit shorter than myself, 5'4. He was ok, although I don't think people get to that position by being "nice". He was a redhead too, probably not a good idea to piss him off. :eek:

The ClayTaurus said:
Height has always been that way, just like weight has been. Women are generally attracted to taller, stronger men. That doesn't mean that all are, but it goes back to that whole primal hunter gatherer thing. If some people want to be taller, or be tricked into thinking some herb will make them taller, who cares? I still think you're being a bit over-sensitive, especially since you're not a Democrat ;)

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I've had a hard enough time convincing people that there's nothing wrong with being a white male, and now I'm being told it's bad to be short. I'm just starting to wonder when there'll be an 'herbal supplement' that will change the color of these lovely brown eyes I'm so proud of.

Hobbit said:
I'm just starting to wonder when there'll be an 'herbal supplement' that will change the color of these lovely brown eyes I'm so proud of.

No need, they've got special contacts for that!

Hobbit said:
Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I've had a hard enough time convincing people that there's nothing wrong with being a white male, and now I'm being told it's bad to be short. I'm just starting to wonder when there'll be an 'herbal supplement' that will change the color of these lovely brown eyes I'm so proud of.

There's only something wrong with being short, white, male, and brown-eyed if you choose there to be, not if the TV does. Just be happy and confident in yourself, fuck everyone else's perceptions, because they're usually based out of someone else's imagined inadequacies.

The ClayTaurus said:
There's only something wrong with being short, white, male, and brown-eyed if you choose there to be, not if the TV does. Just be happy and confident in yourself, fuck everyone else's perceptions, because they're usually based out of someone else's imagined inadequacies.

Excelllent point! I don't need a companie's approval to decide if I feel good about myself. Between Enzyte, diet pills and the like, you would think there are very few people who have it "all." Everyone else needs a supplement to be "something" that society will approve of.

If you and your friends/family approve of you, tell everyone else - especially if their sole purpose in life is to make money - to take a flying leap.

The ClayTaurus said:

tall people with a god complex are not much better

Hobbit said:

Geez, your short AND you have brown eyes :eek: Now I see the problem *sarcasm*

I've got no problem with a mans height, as long as he's taller than me. Which isn't hard since I'm 5"4".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back