hedging my vets.......

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
so when i found yoda at the end of the drive with pus filled eyes....my regular vet was closed...so i took yoda to the nearest vet....i explain to my old vet....that i would leave yoda with new vet so i could have coverage if there was an emergency on wednesdays...

old vet: low volume vet..i have never waited more than a few minutes (she lives above office and i have to wait if i have a first appointment for her to walk down with her huge coffee cup and mail) once i am there...i never touch my domestic companions....her two assistants do it all...no one is waiting when i go in....no one is waiting when i go out...the only time in years that there was a conflict..one of her assistants came out in the parking lot and directed the dog traffic....as in...pit bull goes in car....doberman comes out of car...etc...moderately pricey....low volume does not equate to low prices

new vet: appt at 9:20 am...seen at 9:50 am with no explanation....i have to hold an d help with yoda...people waiting when i went in and when i came out...

i know i am spoiled by old vet...who is still vet to 6 of the animals....lol...i realize how good her and her staff are...her competition makes her look good.

As a general rule, vets piss me off. Always trying to upsell you on shit your pet doesn't need and then they try to make you feel like a bad owner when you say no thanks. We found one awesome exception once, but the fucker packed up and moved to Kentucky... of all places.

ah the upsell....my vet is not bad about that...she realizes i have so many....she helps me with discounts etc...never pushes tests that arent needed etc

200 buck test? wtf?

We had a cat once get stung in the paw by a bee, thing swole up like the bejesus, but the cat didn't appear to be in any pain at all. Still, the wife being the chick that she is, took the cat to the vet anyway. Vet tried to insist on a $175 x-ray to make sure nothing was broken. Started talking a line of bullshit about how cats instinctively try to hide their pain. That might be true, but there's no fucking way a cat is gonna hide a broken leg, especially with an examination. My fucking gawd!

I'm lucky, I have a great vet. He gives me price breaks all the time. Even the girls at the front counter know he does this. I'll ask for the price on a particular procedure and they will say we'll need to check with this vet be cause he kind of does his own thing. He knows I have 12 animals, 8 of them rescues, and he gives me a break because of it.

The other thing I like about him is he doesn't push procedures and treatments on you that aren't really necessary. If something will heal up just fine without stitches, he doesn't do stitches. If stitches are needed, he'll do them. Same with everything else. He's got a lot of experience and he knows what he's doing.

The only criticism I have of him is that he doesn't communicate well sometimes. I'll walk out of his office and think, "Now, what did he say to do????" But I can always call him for clarification and he always returns calls.

okay yoda is just being alittle bitch to the other animals and for some reason ...my new vet is still wanting to wait till yoda is 6 months old....now all the other animals are neutered and i want this one neutered too

We have a mobile vet here...I haven't used her yet but a friend of mine swears by her.

However I doubt if she'll let me wait till the first to pay, like my regular vet does.

i called my regular vet....i am back to one vet....i just couldnt handle the new vet and all the animals in his office...him being late and just not seeming that concerned or that confident...i got yoda neutered.....no one did an aftercheck call.....my regular vet has one of her girls call the next day and make sure everything is good....

what a friggin relief

I've seen 3 vets since I've been here and the office staff rolls over regularly, I don't know what's up. The last one is like, well, your dog is allergic so you should start buying special food...but crap I can't afford to spend $200 on special food...especially if he STILL reacts every 2 months, which I suspect he will. The fact that it cycles that way tells me it's not the friggin food.

So he's breaking out now, getting the red patches...we'll be going to the vet next month for steroids and antibiotics...AGAIN. I'm so sick of flipping dogs they're ruining my life. I can't even afford expensive antiperspirant, I have to get shit at the dollar store because I always have to have a reserve of $$ in case I have to rush a dog to the vet.

New Topics

Forum List

Back