Heaven and Hell are Impossible

Another example of a poor understanding of the scriptures.

Another example of a failure to present an argument.

But hey, we're not talking creation or evolution here, so maybe you won't be quite so obtuse. Worth a shot, anyway.

When you say I haven't understood the scriptures, clearly you mean that there is a scriptural meaning to the soul, heaven and hell that renders my argument here moot. Why don't you share that understanding with all of us?

Dragon... If I had posted the above about your lack of understanding toward the scriptures I would only further add that there is much more revealed in studying the roots of the Word and the many possible dimensions that are uncovered in the translations. It is, indeed, up to the reader's perception and, as most anything necessarily is, it is how ever, what ever one needs to make of it for their own spiritual growth/depths. Perhaps a good illustration, however flawed, is that one cannot grow a tree without roots. If one desires the fruits of certain trees, one must go through the husbandry of such orchards. If heaven and hell are what is desired... if those are destinies instead of paths... then to those individuals heaven and hell is like a fashioned cap, gown and shoes, accordingly. Perhaps my metaphors are confusingly meshed, but I only mean to give a broad illustration toward understanding... it isn't that I know.

Last edited:
If I chose a religion it would be the one that gives me 42 virgins.

Yes, well, then perhaps one would hope that you'd best be prepared to become trained and equipped to not only handle but also accommodate your 42 virgins. You may come to see a side of yourself that will have you begging for a scourging, instead. :dunno:

Once you introduce the possibility of a all-powerful, supernatural entity into a belief system, all logical parameters fall by the wayside.

It's the reason we keep religion out of science.

And it's a two way street.

I apologize... I see religion and science as epic lovers that are forever indivisible, however invisible their union seems to be seen and represented by and within civilizations, past, present, future. :dunno: One seems to ride the other, only for the other to, in return, be riding the one. The ying, the yang, accordingly. The God, the Satan, accordingly. The Savior, the Jestor, accordingly. Politics, while [possibly, necessarily, accordingly] the child of the two... represents an amazing three-dimensional aspect that only enhances the immortal union of the two. *he*arts* as *he*ads*

Once you introduce the possibility of a all-powerful, supernatural entity into a belief system, all logical parameters fall by the wayside.

It's the reason we keep religion out of science.

And it's a two way street.

Creationists are not educated in the fields of science ? I for one am,my presuppositions come from the view of creation where many evolutionist presuppositions come from the view of a natural process so how do you keep religion out of science ?

There is no evidence that life spontaneously came into existence so that goes in the category of faith to hold that view and presuppositions that are formed from that view.

If you envision time as a timeline like we are taught in school I think your point would have more weight. But that's not the way time works. Time moves differently for everyone. Time isn't constant: it speeds up and slows down and (at least in theory) can even overlap. Since there is not one constant line of time that means past, present, and future all exist simultaneously...most physicists would agree with that....even that each person's perception of "the present" is different within time. In human form we can only perceive "the present" but that's not to say in a spiritual (or absolute form) we do not perceive it all collectively.

I hope that makes sense.

It does, but it doesn't really alter what I was saying. From the individual perspective, time is a timeline/sequence of events. That it may also be understood differently is true, but means only that time is relative.

The traditional conception of spiritual immortality in Christianity is one in which time is experienced subjectively in the usual linear fashion without end, either in bliss or in torment. (I acknowledge your point about the lack of Biblical support for the conception of Hell; nevertheless it's a common belief among Christians and also among Muslims.)

Scientists who don't acknowledge the fundamental contradiction of science are amusing.

They are amongst the very first to note that there is no "proof" of the existence of a Creator. And there is an element of truth there. But ...

they often have enormous difficulty in acknowledging the lack of proof of some of their most elemental premises.

Like that whole Big Bang thing.

If you envision time as a timeline like we are taught in school I think your point would have more weight. But that's not the way time works. Time moves differently for everyone. Time isn't constant: it speeds up and slows down and (at least in theory) can even overlap. Since there is not one constant line of time that means past, present, and future all exist simultaneously...most physicists would agree with that....even that each person's perception of "the present" is different within time. In human form we can only perceive "the present" but that's not to say in a spiritual (or absolute form) we do not perceive it all collectively.

I hope that makes sense.

It does, but it doesn't really alter what I was saying. From the individual perspective, time is a timeline/sequence of events. That it may also be understood differently is true, but means only that time is relative.

The traditional conception of spiritual immortality in Christianity is one in which time is experienced subjectively in the usual linear fashion without end, either in bliss or in torment. (I acknowledge your point about the lack of Biblical support for the conception of Hell; nevertheless it's a common belief among Christians and also among Muslims.)

I think they keyword there is "traditional". To a large degree I guess it depends on how one visualizes the afterlife. I tend to view it far differently than the traditional Christian concept. I view the body as that which exists in the relative (the Earth, here and now, etc), the spirit as a small part of God which exists in the absolute and perceives everything at once, and the mind as that which helps to communicate between the two. When you die you simply disconnect from the relative and are completely within the absolute perceiving all things at once. That's my personal view of it and it's clearly not traditional, but I don't think the way I view the afterlife would be in conflict with your point.

I would agree that the traditional Christian concept of the afterlife where one perceives only the present and goes through a timeline as we appear to do in life is almost certainly not the way it works, but I would argue as well that that does not mean there is no afterlife...there's simply not an afterlife in the manner in which we traditionally think of it.

Forum List

Back