Heartwarming Hava Nagila Olympic Performance

the same IOC that let's athletes compete without a country also lets the palestinians compete as representatives of palestine. also, i am not so sure they are competeing "for" their country. athletes, at least the ones i have known, compete for the competition...and while they proudly represent their country, it is not the reason they compete. look at galen rupp (go CCHS Rams. woooo-hooooo) and mo farah.

less than a handful every year compete under the olympic flag. this year there were four, and their circumstances were far different than those of the palestinian athletes.

there are no provisions in the IOC that says one must compete for a country particularly and as far as i can tell, the IOC recognises the palestinian olympic committee. i really don't see what the problem is?

all i am really saying is that i do not believe the olympics should be politicised and there would be, in my opinion, less political uproar were the palestinians allowed to march as palestinians than there would be if they were forced to compete as countryless athletes (and i believe there are some limitations as to the full participation of countryless athletes in the games).

also, as a supporter of the palestinian people, i can think of no better way to expose the injustice being done to them as an occupied, countryless people, than on the platform of the olympic games, but guess what...i do not believe in politicising the olympics, period.

the Palestinians are not a country......simple as that. Therefor should not be able to march or participate in the Olympics as a "country" .....

And for all of that......it still does not hinder a palestinian athlete who wants to compete in the games.....country or not... politics or not.

Good for the Aly Raisman....an American woman with Jewish heritage for doing a outstanding gold medal performance ...to the music of HER choice.

the IOC disagrees with you, as do i, regarding the palestinian athletes.

as for aly raisman, i have had, and still do have, nothing but praise for her, regardless of her religion, ethnicity, and nationality (yes, i know she was american). she conducted herself with a grace, dignity, and maturity beyond her years, not only in her performances on the floor, but in her behaviour of the floor as well. i have said as much many times. i think it was unfortunate that she be put in an uncomfortable position because of her religion that she seemed to not fully embrace. i think she wanted to compete, and would have been quite happy, competing as a gymnast, and not as a jewish gymnast, just as galen rupp and mo fareh were happy to compete as runners, and not as a catholic runner and muslim runner.

i have also stated i have no problem with her, or any athlete, who wishes to memorialise the munich tragedy doing so in their proper place and in an appropriate manner, but i think the IOC was not only right, but very wise, to not do so. i think in some of these threads, their (the IOC) reasoning can clearly be seen, with some posters going so far as imagining the killing of the palestinian athletes, and certainly the shaming of them, who were not even born forty years ago.

i am not even sure why we are discussing this. i have said all i have to say on the subect, perhaps more than i should have. jewish people have every right to be proud of aly and should be, but when that "pride" extends to denigrating athletes and peoples who are not jewish, they do a dis-service to this lovely young woman and wonderful athlete. i am sure you feel the same...i hope.

I understand the IOC digresses with me about the palestinians.... and i disagree with the IOC for bowing to political pressure.

The palestinians are a people...not a country.

Do you think the IOC would allow the Hmong or the Kurds in as "country" ....again they are a people not a country.

As for Aly Raisman.... she was the topic of the OP..... I also don't think she was "put into" any uncomfortable position. I am pretty sure she know full what her choice of music would stir. ....and she did us proud.

the Palestinians are not a country......simple as that. Therefor should not be able to march or participate in the Olympics as a "country" .....

And for all of that......it still does not hinder a palestinian athlete who wants to compete in the games.....country or not... politics or not.

Good for the Aly Raisman....an American woman with Jewish heritage for doing a outstanding gold medal performance ...to the music of HER choice.

the IOC disagrees with you, as do i, regarding the palestinian athletes.

as for aly raisman, i have had, and still do have, nothing but praise for her, regardless of her religion, ethnicity, and nationality (yes, i know she was american). she conducted herself with a grace, dignity, and maturity beyond her years, not only in her performances on the floor, but in her behaviour of the floor as well. i have said as much many times. i think it was unfortunate that she be put in an uncomfortable position because of her religion that she seemed to not fully embrace. i think she wanted to compete, and would have been quite happy, competing as a gymnast, and not as a jewish gymnast, just as galen rupp and mo fareh were happy to compete as runners, and not as a catholic runner and muslim runner.

i have also stated i have no problem with her, or any athlete, who wishes to memorialise the munich tragedy doing so in their proper place and in an appropriate manner, but i think the IOC was not only right, but very wise, to not do so. i think in some of these threads, their (the IOC) reasoning can clearly be seen, with some posters going so far as imagining the killing of the palestinian athletes, and certainly the shaming of them, who were not even born forty years ago.

i am not even sure why we are discussing this. i have said all i have to say on the subect, perhaps more than i should have. jewish people have every right to be proud of aly and should be, but when that "pride" extends to denigrating athletes and peoples who are not jewish, they do a dis-service to this lovely young woman and wonderful athlete. i am sure you feel the same...i hope.

I understand the IOC digresses with me about the palestinians.... and i disagree with the IOC for bowing to political pressure.

The palestinians are a people...not a country.

Do you think the IOC would allow the Hmong or the Kurds in as "country" ....again they are a people not a country.

As for Aly Raisman.... she was the topic of the OP..... I also don't think she was "put into" any uncomfortable position. I am pretty sure she know full what her choice of music would stir. ....and she did us proud.

i have said all i have to say and we disagree. anything i add would be superfluous.

As ususual Ima, you express your thoughts without thinking. Read this folks.

Aside from Phelps, Bolt and a few other Americans, no athletes make a dime (some countries give a few thou, but really it's nothing). NBC pays like $2Billion for the rights and the athletes get how much? Nada. To train non-stop for 4 years? What a fucking joke.
Ima why do you insist on broadcasting your stupidly to the entire world? Bolt makes about 30 million a year and Phelps much more after what he acheived in the last round. Most of the Gold medal winners move on to live very lucrative lives and become national heroes. And there are countries that have yet to win ANY medal.

Exactly, it's called the World Championships. It's where they make their money. Why bother to pretend to be inclusive when China, the US... spend $3Billion or something like that on their athlete programs. To go up against a guy who can't afford shoes and gets eliminated in the blink of an eye. Nice.

Eh, Ima. If they are even competing in the Olympics, please believe me, they can afford shoes.

Aside from Phelps, Bolt and a few other Americans, no athletes make a dime (some countries give a few thou, but really it's nothing). NBC pays like $2Billion for the rights and the athletes get how much? Nada. To train non-stop for 4 years? What a fucking joke.
Ima why do you insist on broadcasting your stupidly to the entire world? Bolt makes about 30 million a year and Phelps much more after what he acheived in the last round. Most of the Gold medal winners move on to live very lucrative lives and become national heroes. And there are countries that have yet to win ANY medal.

Exactly, it's called the World Championships. It's where they make their money. Why bother to pretend to be inclusive when China, the US... spend $3Billion or something like that on their athlete programs. To go up against a guy who can't afford shoes and gets eliminated in the blink of an eye. Nice.

Eh, Ima. If they are even competing in the Olympics, please believe me, they can afford shoes.

Man, it's happened, some doucherocket showed up once and the other athletes gave him some proper running shoes. And remember Eddy the Eagle? The Jamaican bobsledders? This time they had some douchesack from Saudi Arabia in Judo who lost in about 1.3 seconds.

Forum List

Back