Heartbreaking moment with my daughter...

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Yesterday around noon my daughter came inside with her new best-buddy, Madison. She and Madison are the same age, and both are big-sisters to little brothers about the same age. Their parents live down the street in a house with the same floorplan.

The girls were beaming as they came to me,

"Daddy! Can I move in with Madison?? Her mom said it was okay!"

'Uh...ask your mother...'

"Mommy!!" alaina asked, "Madison's mom said I can move in with them!"

'Great, honey! Clean your room before you pack - but don't take too many toys, because we'll have to get another girl to replace you' Mary replied.

Alaina and Madison went off to Alaina's room and started 'packing'. When they were finished they came down stairs to where I was playing Gran Turismo 3™ on my PS2™.

"Bye Daddy!" Alaina said to me

'Well, I suppose you can call me Darin now..since I won't be your Daddy anymore...' I said.

Alaina thought for a few seconds...

"But I can come back home -"

'Honey,' I interupted, 'if you are moving out, Madison's house will be your new home. I love you and wouldn't dream of stopping you, if this is what you REALLY want to do. Just know that I'll miss you completely, and I'll always love you.'

By this time her lower lip was starting to pertrude...

"But Daddy...I don't WANT to miss you"

'Sorry honey - your mind is made up; you want a 'new' family'

Her eyes welling up with tears - she hugs me tightly

(in full-cry voice)" I don't WANT a new Daddy - I want YOU to be my Daddy! I don't want to live with Madison!"

As she was hugging, my mind went on fast-forward about 13-14 years. I imagined hugging my daughter, having a very similiar conversation with her. I imaged her dressed in sweat pants with a (Insert College Logo)-sweatshirt up front, her suitcases by her side. I thought to myself, "My God - how will I ever be able to let her GO???"

We stayed hugging for a few minutes when Madison says 'Maybe you can just have a sleep over, Alaina?'

Alaina says thru tears/snot, "Yeah Daddy! That way you can still be my daddy!!"

'Okay love - I'm SOO happy you've decided to stay living here. We'd all miss you something awful if you left', i managed, fighting back tears of my own.

Alaina and Madison turned to leave - to go ask Madison's mom about the sleep-over. As Alaina was walking out, I asked her 'Who loves you, babe?'

"Daddy Does!!" she replied, right on cue.

:D

:(

She's going to grow up, become a woman, and leave. I'm excited for that to happen; excited for all the experiences she'll get to enjoy. I'm terrified however, of letting go of the single most perfect little girl in my life.

(sigh) Being a Daddy is a blessing/curse...But more 'blessing' I think.

- d

Yup...I never knew the definition of bittersweet before I had my son.

Good way to handle it...made her realize it on her own. What a good way, especially during the teen aged years.

DKSuddeth said:
:cry: now look what you did. You got tears on my keyboard.

I'm glad nobody walked in my office whilst I was typing that...

"Darin? are you crying over part of the Strategic Plan?"

'Yeah...designing a matrix to track change ALWAYS chokes me up..."

-=d=- said:

Go ahead, play the song "butterfly kisses" while typing that. I dare ya, double dog dare ya.

Eldest child moved out a few years back, we are enticing her back with candy, flowers, and money. Boy is just 18, we are leaning heavilly on the car keys. Youngest is 14 and we are just trying to get the barricades in place.

Good gracious, Darin, that choked me up!! Mine are only 3 and I swear I have those same thoughts, LOL!! My husband laughs and says to let them at least start kindergarten before I have them married and us with grandchildren, LOL!!

-=d=- said:
hehe....speaking of KGarten...Alaina starts 3 September...I'm taking the day off...day of mourning, etc.
Then you need to do something special so it will be a happy memory, LOL!! Leave early to take her to school, but stop off and have a first day of school breakfast. Hey, I wanna do that! LOL!!

UsaPride said:
Then you need to do something special so it will be a happy memory, LOL!! Leave early to take her to school, but stop off and have a first day of school breakfast. Hey, I wanna do that! LOL!!

Good call :)

"Wide Open Spaces" always chokes me up. Geez, now my bottom lip is quivering :cry: My daughter is starting gr.1 in a few weeks, I wouldn't trade the last 6 years I spent with her for ANYTHING.

My girl is starting Kindergarten this Sept too...and Darin..I know EXACTLY how you feel!!

Its different for us guys....were not used to it. :)

-=d=- said:

:rotflmao::rotflmao:
:rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Because I know what you're doing, that is absolutely hilarious!

Great story though... makes me sad for you in a heartwarming kind of way, especially since I know what a sweetheart your daughter is. :)

gop_jeff said:
:rotflmao::rotflmao:
:rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Because I know what you're doing, that is absolutely hilarious!

Great story though... makes me sad for you in a heartwarming kind of way, especially since I know what a sweetheart your daughter is. :)

Thank you sir...you're a sweetheart too. really.

:)

I'm not sure I can say what I want, some of you know why, but I'm going to try.

Each stage of your child's development is exciting. From their first steps, to that first day of school to that first date. And each event tugs at your heart but only for a while. You are training that child to be a grown-up. A responsible, independant person who can make it thru this life. What an honor that is!!! To be able to see that child live the life they have chosen with the person they have chosen and be happy. There will be hills & valleys like we all go thru but they will have YOU. Just because they grow up doesn't mean you stop being their parent, the relationship just changes. So when they are grown not only do you have an adult child, you have a wonderful friend!

Joz said:
I'm not sure I can say what I want, some of you know why, but I'm going to try.

Each stage of your child's development is exciting. From their first steps, to that first day of school to that first date. And each event tugs at your heart but only for a while. You are training that child to be a grown-up. A responsible, independant person who can make it thru this life. What an honor that is!!! To be able to see that child live the life they have chosen with the person they have chosen and be happy. There will be hills & valleys like we all go thru but they will have YOU. Just because they grow up doesn't mean you stop being their parent, the relationship just changes. So when they are grown not only do you have an adult child, you have a wonderful friend!
Now that got me crying!! That's beautiful Joz, thank you!!!

Sorry. I cried as I typed it.

I remember when my youngest son Zachary ( now deceased) was about 9 or 10. He & his brother were having one of those days where they were just 'at it' with each other. Finally I said to him, "You're gonna drive me crazy"!
And without skipping a beat he answered, "But, that's my job".

Sometimes, on those days, it's hard to remember why we had kids!

Forum List

Back