Heart to Palin - Quit using our song BITCH!

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Sen. John McCain's use of the Heart song "Barracuda" after his acceptance speech Thursday night is causing heartburn with the Seattle-based rock group.

Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson posted a message today on their Web site condemning the use of their 1977 hit at the Republican convention. The song was played when McCain, the party's presidential nominee, was joined onstage after the speech by his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

The sisters said their representatives, Universal Music Publishing and SONY BMG, have sent a cease-and-desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign to not use the song as the congratulatory theme for Palin.

Local News | Heart to McCain campaign: stop using "Barracuda" | Seattle Times Newspaper

• Banned
They probably shoulda went with Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walkin"

what.. that ANOTHER republican thought they could go ahead and use an artists music without nary the slightest effort in asking permission?

yea.. gosh.. thats so fucking rare.

there's a shock.... not

The idiots did that with Springsteen's BITUSA, also. They really should learn to ask first so they don't get embarrassed.

BTW, one should also question the gravitas of a presidential Candidate who thinks Barracuda is an appropriate song with which to represent themselves and their campaign, not to mention the sexism in applying that to thw woman VP candidate.

Tells you what she was picked for, though.

Let me think, " Heart" Heart" oh yes the Wilson sisters from back in the 70's great band living off royalities for what? the last 30 years or so? Good marketing thing though if I were living off that sort of thing to get in the new's get my song played before millions , then tell them to stop playing it? great idea! I guess they didnt get their .99 cents from itunes are pissed now. Little point though, what if Sarah Palin went to her itunes account and d/l it? I guess that means she has to destroy her iPod too because she didnt somehow get blessed by them to put in on there either? Amazing, all they really had to do was put a big OLD " I VOTE FOR OBAMA tag voice over on the song and well no d/l there. *laughs* This stuff is makes me laugh.

Hell, seems to me that the RNC should get fined for stealing music so blatantly for the sake of political gain....

Let me think, " Heart" Heart" oh yes the Wilson sisters from back in the 70's great band living off royalities for what? the last 30 years or so? Good marketing thing though if I were living off that sort of thing to get in the new's get my song played before millions , then tell them to stop playing it? great idea! I guess they didnt get their .99 cents from itunes are pissed now. Little point though, what if Sarah Palin went to her itunes account and d/l it? I guess that means she has to destroy her iPod too because she didnt somehow get blessed by them to put in on there either? Amazing, all they really had to do was put a big OLD " I VOTE FOR OBAMA tag voice over on the song and well no d/l there. *laughs* This stuff is makes me laugh.

Actually, you dumb bastard, buying the music doesn't mean I can make money off of it by using it as an endorsement.

AND, it's not like everyone in America forgot who the fuck HEART was until two days ago thanks to the RNC.

you desperate pussies make me laugh.

Me too.

I think we need to have a little chat about licensing...

Do you think your purchase of a song allows you to play it over the public airways?

Try again... because, guess what, if they don't want some "pitbull in lipstick" tarring their song, they have that right. They aren't pissed about the money... they're disgusted by the candidate.

Notice, for instance, that Springsteen objected when Reagan misappropriated his song, but is perfectly happy with Obama using a different one.

There's a reason for that.

whatsa matter? Toby Kieth didn't put an album out this year?

Like I said.. the RNC should receive a hefty fine for such blatant use of stolen artwork for the sake of political gain.

Hey.. .it's cool...

let Obama use Charlie Daniels "In America" without permission and we'll see em scream to fucking christ almighty that the mans musical legacy has been soiled by liberals.

Hey.. .it's cool...

let Obama use Charlie Daniels "In America" without permission and we'll see em scream to fucking christ almighty that the mans musical legacy has been soiled by liberals.

And they would be right!

I think we need to have a little chat about licensing...

Do you think your purchase of a song allows you to play it over the public airways?

Try again... because, guess what, if they don't want some "pitbull in lipstick" tarring their song, they have that right. They aren't pissed about the money... they're disgusted by the candidate.

Notice, for instance, that Springsteen objected when Reagan misappropriated his song, but is perfectly happy with Obama using a different one.

There's a reason for that.

Exactly, did they just forget about copyright laws all of the sudden? Why allow it to be played without permission this once while 40 million people watch, but not allow everyone else to play literally any song without permission from some type of music label.

And does the artist get a penny from the royalties to play on national television? Nope.

You know , I was always told the the last resort of a desperate person is to resort to name calling without facts. Seems to be an epidemic with the Democrats. So let's review here for the sake of those that need to be educated because . I suppose humor is too high a concept for some to grasp. First, I suppose I was watching a different RNC last night when the song was played but I didn't see, and "Heart" CD's passed out on burned CD's to solicit donations, as well as the song used for any purpose other than it's entertainment value. It's called making an "assumption", in your fervor and little I hesitate to call you a democrat because even they apply logic, so will call you left-wing nut job how's that?, to label me and to label the RNC you should read the post as an attept at humor, meaning, that I thought Heart was a great band still do. but therer opinion does not mean a thing? Is that too simple for you ? or want me to break it down for you some more so you can understand it a little better?

You know , I was always told the the last resort of a desperate person is to resort to name calling without facts. Seems to be an epidemic with the Democrats. So let's review here for the sake of those that need to be educated because . I suppose humor is too high a concept for some to grasp. First, I suppose I was watching a different RNC last night when the song was played but I didn't see, and "Heart" CD's passed out on burned CD's to solicit donations, as well as the song used for any purpose other than it's entertainment value. It's called making an "assumption", in your fervor and little I hesitate to call you a democrat because even they apply logic, so will call you left-wing nut job how's that?, to label me and to label the RNC you should read the post as an attept at humor, meaning, that I thought Heart was a great band still do. but therer opinion does not mean a thing? Is that too simple for you ? or want me to break it down for you some more so you can understand it a little better?

Let me try to break it down for YOU... an artist has the right to control the use of his or her songs. But keep being patronizing about something you clearly know nothing about just because it suits your partisan agenda.

End of story...

Forum List

Back