Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional, appeals court rules

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional, appeals court rules - latimes.com

Associated Press
May 31, 2012, 8:21 a.m.
An appeals court ruled Thursday that the heart of a law that denies a host of federal benefits to gay married couples is unconstitutional.

The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston said the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, discriminates against married same-sex couples by denying them federal benefits.
<more>

How about the Constitutionality of NOT applying those same federal benefits to "single" heterosexual people who are ALSO not making babies?

I don't know why the government recognizes any marriage..... There is nothing in the constitution about marriage..

No marriage is a right....

Besides, there is nothing stopping gays from engaging in civil contract.... That's all marriage is - a contract, at least legally - and in the eyes of the state/government.

Also, I don't like the federal government sticking their noses in state business. We have a Tenth Amendment for a reason - weather you agree or disagree with the Tenth it doesn't matter because it still exists - apparently the federal government doesn't respect the Tenth...

I don't know why the government recognizes any marriage..... There is nothing in the constitution about marriage..

No marriage is a right....

Besides, there is nothing stopping gays from engaging in civil contract.... That's all marriage is - a contract, at least legally - and in the eyes of the state/government.

Also, I don't like the federal government sticking their noses in state business. We have a Tenth Amendment for a reason - weather you agree or disagree with the Tenth it doesn't matter because it still exists - apparently the federal government doesn't respect the Tenth...

What have YOU personally done to get the government out of marriage?

Forum List

Back