Heart Attack Symptoms

A friend died of a heart attack recently. He deeply cut his left hand six weeks prior that wasn't healing properly. He started having pains up and down his left arm that he attributed to his wound. He went to several doctors and had an MRI but no one could find what was wrong. He had an impending sense of doom, giving the EA emergency contact numbers in case anything happened. In his last days, he complained about being unable to sleep. Then he died.

He had all the symptoms of a heart attack but we all missed it. We were all distracted by his cut.

The moral is if you have the symptoms, don't be fooled by distractions. Had I or anyone had the sense to recognize what was staring us all in the face, he'd be alive today.

Sorry about your friend. This will serve as a reminder to me not to discount anyone's symptoms even when they don't seem related to the chief complaint.

Toro
He had an impending sense of doom ...

Apparently, this is very common with MI victims. Interesting.

With the symptoms you describe, its surprising that no one thought to order an EKG or blood work.

geauxtohell, I just learned that I have been living with the wrong diagnosis for more than 30 years. The condition I have causes extreme but is easily treatable. What I thought I had is not so easily treated and I was looking at really miserable surgery. Just for the heck of it, I decided to get another opinion. If any one of many doctors or ancillary personnel had ever questioned the original diagnosis, it might have been found a long time ago.

We all tend to look for horses but sometimes, hoof beats really are zebras.

Glad you ordered that test.

Forum List

Back