Healthy Relationships

5stringJeff said:
..... But what this pastor talks about is so, so, so important, and I think very few men get it. Husbands are supposed to put their wives' needs above their own. Husbands are supposed to act with their wives' outcomes in mind.
How many men do you know right now who actually DO this? (not including yourself)

I believe men have abused this authority for centuries. I think that is part of the reason for women's lib. ( not that I condone their practices) But women have gotten sick of men lording their power over them. What if men had truly been leaders of their families?

Joz said:
How many men do you know right now who actually DO this? (not including yourself)

I believe men have abused this authority for centuries. I think that is part of the reason for women's lib. ( not that I condone their practices) But women have gotten sick of men lording their power over them. What if men had truly been leaders of their families?

In the same way, women have come to view their submission as 'weakness - to be avoided'.

Either BOTH play their roles, or frustration happens. This thread, actually, is perhaps the best argument against Christian-sanctioned Homosexual marriage; if both are the husband things are gonna be bad. If one is 'male' they are 'husband' by default. Even if one of the two is forsaking his birthright - his gender-specific responsibilities. That man will live in frustration and spritual ambiguity and junk.

The ClayTaurus said:
Fair enough. Name me one situation of equality where one person has authority over the other. The idea of submission in marriage ultimately can not be called "equal." Because it is not. And from the sounds of it, most of you wouldn't want it to be. Perhaps changing the word equal to something else would alleviate most of the confusion. At this point I'm fairly convinced its mostly a matter of semantics.
I think you're right; it probably IS semantics. And if "equal" means "same," then I agree; husband and wife are not equal. They do not have the SAME authority. But they do have the same VALUE.

Joz said:

I know several couples of the top of my head well enough to say that they are making their best efforts to run their marriage in this fashion - men showing loving, serving leadership, and women showing loving respect for that leadership.

mom4 said:
I think you're right; it probably IS semantics. And if "equal" means "same," then I agree; husband and wife are not equal. They do not have the SAME authority. But they do have the same VALUE.

:thewave:

The ClayTaurus said:
True enough. The question then becomes, who is more responsible for such a misconception of religion? The non-believers who easily buy into it, or those within the religion to dispel the rumors and explain the finer points?

In my opinion both are equally responsible.

dmp said:
In the same way, women have come to view their submission as 'weakness - to be avoided'.

Either BOTH play their roles, or frustration happens. This thread, actually, is perhaps the best argument against Christian-sanctioned Homosexual marriage; if both are the husband things are gonna be bad. If one is 'male' they are 'husband' by default. Even if one of the two is forsaking his birthright - his gender-specific responsibilities. That man will live in frustration and spritual ambiguity and junk.
EXCELLENT point. You're really having a day of great insights. :)

dmp....In the same way, women have come to view their submission as 'weakness - to be avoided'.
Either BOTH play their roles, or frustration happens.

See here it is, you just summed up why. When there is no compromise there is constant friction. Ever notice the best sports teams have the best cooperation within the organization, and the best leadership?

Forum List

Back