Healthcare Spending and Life Expectancy

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
healthscatter2.png

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Healthcare Spending and Life Expectancy

We spend much more than any other country and yet our life expectancy is below the majority of countries that spend less.

Am I reading that right?

Nope.

Just supplying information.
What you're supplying is a stale non sequitur used by partisan hacks.

Americans spend lots of money on medical procedures that have nothing whatsoever to do with life expectancy. Moreover, lifestyle choices (i.e. chronic overeating) have far more to do with life expectancy, than what the society as a whole spends on medical services.

You're way smarter than this, dude.

Nope.

Americans spend lots of money on medical procedures that have nothing whatsoever to do with life expectancy. Moreover, lifestyle choices (i.e. chronic overeating) have far more to do with life expectancy, than what the society as a whole spends on medical services.

My, my, aren't we defensive. Somebody might say that that response is partisan. Not me, of course...

That regression line is a pretty close fit. That's a helluva lot of tummy tucks and meals at IHOP to produce such a significant outlier as that.

I think you and I both know there's more to it than that.

Nope.

That's absurd.

The vast majority of medical procedures affect life expectancy to some extent.

Last edited:
Nope.

My, my, aren't we defensive. Somebody might say that that response is partisan. Not me, of course...

That regression line is a pretty close fit. That's a helluva lot of tummy tucks and meals at IHOP to produce such a significant outlier as that.

I think you and I both know there's more to it than that.
Defensive nothing.

I said you were using an non sequitur used by hacks, not necessarily that you were acting as one yourself.

Elective surgeries are only one aspect of the amount of money spent on medical services, and the fact that there are numerous other unrelated factors that play into life expectancy still stands.

Simply put, the life expectancy angle is a total red herring.

Nope.

That's absurd.

The vast majority of medical procedures affect life expectancy to some extent.
Right....Lasik, boob jobs, liposuction, hair transplants add sooooooo much to life expectancy. :rolleyes:

Dingbat.

I wonder how car accidents figure in also. Doubt if there are too many 3 car families in most of those places.

And Ravi - I do believe in common sense gun control.

Defensive nothing.

I said you were using an non sequitur used by hacks, not necessarily that you were acting as one yourself.

Elective surgeries are only one aspect of the amount of money spent on medical services, and the fact that there are numerous other unrelated factors that play into life expectancy still stands.

Saying that healthcare spending and life span is a total red herring is pretty silly. Drop healthcare spending to zero and I'm willing to bet that life expectancy ain't going to remain constant.

Of course, getting more facelifts and eating lots of Ho-Hos does have some effect on this graph. But do the math. The Danes live as long as Americans yet spend about $4000 per capita less than Americans on healthcare annually. With 310 million Americans, that is a difference of $1.24 trillion for the same outcome. Now, I'm sure eating lots herring and breathing in sea salt is healthy, but that's a lot of coin to explain away as lifestyle and elective surgery.

If you could quantify your argument, it would be appreciated.

Defensive nothing.

Saying that healthcare spending and life span is a total red herring is pretty silly. Drop healthcare spending to zero and I'm willing to bet that life expectancy ain't going to remain constant.

Of course, getting more facelifts and eating lots of Ho-Hos does have some effect on this graph. But do the math. The Danes live as long as Americans yet spend about $4000 per capita less than Americans on healthcare annually. With 310 million Americans, that is a difference of $1.24 trillion for the same outcome. Now, I'm sure eating lots herring and breathing in sea salt is healthy, but that's a lot of coin to explain away as lifestyle and elective surgery.

If you could quantify your argument, it would be appreciated.

Denmark - Obesity rate 9.5%
United Sates - Obesity rate 30.6%

Do ya think that might matter?

Forum List

Back