Healthcare Bill Hit Parade!!

If they are here legally and are paying taxes on all that they are earning while here jr, then I do not see a problem with them being able to be a part of this program.

So all the workers that travel over the Mexican border to work in the US shouldn't be covered under UHC, correct? Since, they don't pay US income taxes....

that would be my understanding jr....

at least not in this segment of the law, i believe?

i am not ruling out they would not be covered somewhere else in this massive bill though!

Non resident aliens only pay taxes while living in the US.

Definition of Non-Resident and Resident Alien for Tax Purposes
Non-resident aliens are taxed on earnings received while living in the U.S. Non-resident aliens (Visa type F-1 and J-1) are exempt from FICA (Social Security tax). If the Visa type is F-1 or J-1, the non-resident alien may be exempt from federal taxes only if the country the alien previously lived in before arriving in the U.S. has negotiated an income tax treaty with the U.S. government.

tsk tsk Care young lady, you did of course read the language yes? The key word is SHALL NOT APPLY and in the absence of languange in the bill containing any specific provisions barring coverage or proof reguired to attain such coverage guess what?

The Commissioner shall establish standards for the
23 coordination and subrogation of benefits and reimburse24
ment of payments in cases involving individuals and mul25
tiple plan coverage.

So it is up to the commissioner to decide...

further,

‘‘(A) NON-TRADITIONAL INDIVIDUALS.—
6 Pursuant to such memorandum the State shall
7 accept without further determination the enroll8
ment under this title of an individual deter9
mined by the Commissioner to be a non-tradi10
tional Medicaid eligible individual. The State
11 shall not do any redeterminations of eligibility
12 for such individuals unless the periodicity of
13 such redeterminations is consistent with the pe14
riodicity for redeterminations by the Commis15
sioner of eligibility for affordability credits
16 under subtitle C of title II of division A of the
17 America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of
18 2009, as specified under such memorandum.

It just so happens Care like the cap and trade scheme I actually as boring as it may seem read these bills and see what a gigantic mess it will create. The Alien issue is not the biggest issue with the bill, in fact that to me was a given that Illegal Aliens would be covered because under the "public option" there is no way for the Federal Govt. to verify status on this and at the same time shut off funding for programs that provide for such verification. What is important in this legislation though is that it's quite clear that the people who are going to pay for it is pretty much everyone that has a job or gets an income.

if you only read the words in the act, without reading or looking up the definition of the words, your time will be fruitless navy!

HINT!
in this one, look up what non-traditional medicaid means...

Care

C) NON-TRADITIONAL MEDICAID ELIGIBLE INDIVIDUAL.--The term ''non-traditional Medicaid eligible individual'' means a Medicaid eligible individual who is not a traditional Medicaid eligible individual.

thats in the bill too Care in case you were wondering...

So is this..

3) AUTOMATIC ENROLLMENT OF MEDICAID EL-IGIBLE INDIVIDUALS INTO MEDICAID.--The Commissioner shall provide for a process under which an individual who is described in section 202(d)(3) and has not elected to enroll in an Exchange-participating health benefits plan is automatically enrolled under Medicaid.

So to answer your question yes I am aware of the terms, generally when they write thse bills they do me the favor of actually adding the definitions in them which saves some time. I had a little practice at reading some of this garbage they produce when legislation comes up before congress on Aviation matters.

I found this provision rather interesting on pg. 21

(3) BY FAMILY ENROLLMENT.—By family en16
rollment (such as variations within categories and
17 compositions of families) so long as the ratio of the
18 premium for family enrollment (or enrollments) to
19 the premium for individual enrollment is uniform, as
20 specified under State law and consistent with rules
21 of the Commissioner.

In other words employee premiums must be based on the individual. No longer can employers structure their health plans to save benefit expenses. The part in bold is "big brother"....LOL

I see your starting to get the picture jr, it's pretty interesting when you actually read the bill and start to understand the difference between the marketing talk and the real thing. Whats even more interesting is after doing so , when you hear people saying such nonsense as only the rich will pay for it over and over do so in the hopes just like congress does on a regular basis that they don't read the bill.

C) NON-TRADITIONAL MEDICAID ELIGIBLE INDIVIDUAL.--The term ''non-traditional Medicaid eligible individual'' means a Medicaid eligible individual who is not a traditional Medicaid eligible individual.

So is this..

3) AUTOMATIC ENROLLMENT OF MEDICAID EL-IGIBLE INDIVIDUALS INTO MEDICAID.--The Commissioner shall provide for a process under which an individual who is described in section 202(d)(3) and has not elected to enroll in an Exchange-participating health benefits plan is automatically enrolled under Medicaid.

So to answer your question yes I am aware of the terms, generally when they write thse bills they do me the favor of actually adding the definitions in them which saves some time. I had a little practice at reading some of this garbage they produce when legislation comes up before congress on Aviation matters.

a "non traditional" medicaid person is a person that does not have the traditional medicaid coverage, but a basic minimal insurance plan covering them, a nontraditional plan.....that's my understanding.

(B) suspension of enrollment of individuals
17 under such plan after the date the Commis18
sioner notifies the entity of a determination
19 under paragraph (1) and until the Commis20
sioner is satisfied that the basis for such deter21
mination has been corrected and is not likely to
22 recur;

There was a huge debate on this in the committe the other day and Mr. Waxman when asked about this issue just say there and said " I don't think it means that" This is page 44 and and is a serious bone of contention with a lot of blue dogs, and republicans in the committee. We all remember the phrase "IF YOU LIKE YOUR INSURANCE YOU CAN KEEP IT" right?

21 of the Commissioner.

In other words employee premiums must be based on the individual. No longer can employers structure their health plans to save benefit expenses. The part in bold is "big brother"....LOL

I believe this says, that whatever discounted group rate, your employer has negotiated for YOU, the insurance company CAN NOT charge you a higher rate for your family than they did for you, just because they do not work for the same company as you, if you decide to cover them with your insurance....

This is a GOOD measure, if I am correct on this....which I believe I am, from the wording of it.

So is this..

a "non traditional" medicaid person is a person that does not have the traditional medicaid coverage, but a basic minimal insurance plan covering them, a nontraditional plan.....that's my understanding.

While I understand your reasoning Care thats not what the language of the bill says though. In the bill a non-tradional person in the absence of a clearly defined set of paramenters is whatever the commissioners says it is. So let's say for example the Commissioner happens to be appointed by a Republican, comes into office and says, "all person(s) making less than 50,000 a year are no longer non-traditional and therefor are not automatically enrolled. Or perhaps we can say this a Democrat appointee will say the reverse EVERYONE making less than 10,000 a year is now non-traditional. See what I mean?

I see your starting to get the picture jr, it's pretty interesting when you actually read the bill and start to understand the difference between the marketing talk and the real thing. Whats even more interesting is after doing so , when you hear people saying such nonsense as only the rich will pay for it over and over do so in the hopes just like congress does on a regular basis that they don't read the bill.

Over a thousand pages is a little taxing though....:eek:

I guess that's why this bill is so wordy and repetitive. The authors are hoping that people won't read this.

So is this..

While I understand your reasoning Care thats not what the language of the bill says though. In the bill a non-tradional person in the absence of a clearly defined set of paramenters is whatever the commissioners says it is. So let's say for example the Commissioner happens to be appointed by a Republican, comes into office and says, "all person(s) making less than 50,000 a year are no longer non-traditional and therefor are not automatically enrolled. Or perhaps we can say this a Democrat appointee will say the reverse EVERYONE making less than 10,000 a year is now non-traditional. See what I mean?

If you are still implying that this is coverage for illegal immigrants, I believe you are off base.

Nontraditional medicaid is medicaid delivered in a non traditional manner....to those who are ALREADY ELIGIBLE for medicaid...

Here is one of the programs that is considered nontraditional that some of the states are using:

Cash and Counseling, a Non-Traditional Medicaid Program, Is Adopted by More States
June 3rd, 2008 · No Comments

Many states are now giving Medicaid-eligible seniors a monthly stipend they can use to hire family, friends and/or professionals to care for them at home. The program, called Cash and Counseling, already exists in 15 states and is expected to be implemented soon in 18 more.

Cash and Counseling offers Medicaid consumers who have disabilities more choices about how to get help at home. Specifically, it gives frail elders and adults with disabilities the option to manage a flexible budget and decide for themselves what mix of goods and services will best meet their personal care needs. Cash and Counseling participants may use their budgets to hire their own personal care aides as well as purchase items or services, including home modifications that help them live independently. By redirecting personal assistance funds from agencies to consumers themselves, Cash and Counseling allows people to hire whomever they want to provide their care. The services paid for by the state are all part of the consumer’s authorized care plan. What’s different is that, in many cases, family members and friends chosen by the consumer are providing those services instead of an agency worker.The counseling side of Cash and Counseling provides consumers with assistance in planning their budgets, keeping up with the paperwork required to pay an employee’s wages and withhold taxes, and accounting for expenditures.

A website discussing the Cash and Counseling Program in general can be found here - Cash & Counseling Home

TOP STORY

Tuesday, February 22, 2005
States try offering more choice in long-term care
By Kathleen Murphy, Staff Writer

Under an innovative program called "cash and counseling," 15 states will give money to poor elderly and disabled people so they can hire caregivers directly rather than have the state choose who bathes, feeds and dresses them.

State Medicaid programs traditionally have selected home-care workers. Cash and counseling offers an alternative by giving consumers a choice about who provides care. With the nation's long-term care costs mounting as Americans live longer, states are experimenting with such programs to encourage greater use of home care instead of more expensive nursing home care, one of the fastest growing costs in the taxpayer-funded Medicaid program.

Arkansas, Florida and New Jersey tried cash-and-counseling programs as an experiment in the 1990s. Because of the program's success in cutting Medicaid costs, the program spread last October to 11 more states: Alabama, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington and West Virginia.

In all of those states, the program and participants' allowances rely on grants sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation of Princeton, N.J., a philanthropy devoted exclusively to U.S. health care.

Twenty-one states competed for the grants last year. An advisory committee recommended finalists to foundation trustees and the federal government, who jointly selected grant recipients. Proposals were judged on how well they articulated a vision and targeted the elderly and on whether the governor and legislative leaders supported the program.

Illinois was turned down for a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant but appealed for and won a $350,000 grant from the Retirement Research Foundation, a Chicago philanthropy that funds programs for older adults, to start a cash-and-counseling program. Illinois, which will become the 15th state to start a program, will contract this year with the cash-and-counseling national program office at the Boston College Graduate School of Social Work to establish the program in accordance with federal Medicaid guidelines.

How states care for the elderly is increasingly important because baby boomers, now between the ages of 40 and 59, represent more than 30 percent of the populations of 17 states. By 2029, according to Census Bureau figures, all 78 million baby boomers will be age 65 or over. With growing numbers of elderly people, more Americans are expected to need long-term care.

A typical cash-and-counseling program recipient gets an allowance of $200 to $1,400 per month; the amount varies by state.

Allowing consumers to select their own caregivers was cheaper or no more expensive than Medicaid's traditional in-home services based on a review of all states' programs, said Kevin Mahoney, director of the cash-and-counseling national program office.

In Arkansas, the first state to try the program in 1998, about 75 percent of participants hired family members -- spouses are excluded -- to provide care. Most others hired friends, neighbors or acquaintances.

Arkansas participants were more satisfied with home-care services, had increased access to paid care, had fewer unmet needs and experienced improved quality of life, according to a study by Mathematica Policy Research Inc., a Princeton, N.J., group that conducts research and surveys for state governments.

The data so far have shown that "people who managed their own care ended up using hospitals and nursing homes at lower rates than people who received care from agencies, which produced cost savings," said Herb Sanderson, director of the Arkansas Division of Aging and Adult Services.

With traditional Medicaid personal care, patients more often ended up in hospitals or nursing homes because of worker shortages, Sanderson said. Allowing patients to hire family members expanded the worker pool, Sanderson said.

Last month Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue (R) endorsed cash and counseling and a legislative proposal that would make the state eligible to participate in the program.

21 of the Commissioner.

I believe this says, that whatever discounted group rate, your employer has negotiated for YOU, the insurance company CAN NOT charge you a higher rate for your family than they did for you, just because they do not work for the same company as you, if you decide to cover them with your insurance....

This is a GOOD measure, if I am correct on this....which I believe I am, from the wording of it.

so long as the ratio of the
18 premium
for family enrollment (or enrollments) to
19 the premium for individual enrollment is uniform

That verbiage means insurance premiums for employers are to be charged by the individual.

21 of the Commissioner.

18 premium

That verbiage means insurance premiums for employers are to be charged by the individual.

It would be interesting to get congress members on record concerning this provision though. If employers aren't able to deflect family coverage costs, then this will have a terrible effect on business in the US.

21 of the Commissioner.

18 premium

this means that insurance companies CAN NOT charge employers a higher rate, for the family members of the individual, that's all...so even if the wife has a preexisting condition like diabetes, the insurance company CAN NOT charge the employer a higher risk rate for the family member than the discounted rate the employer negotiated for his own employees...

that's all it means.

18 premium

this means that insurance companies CAN NOT charge employers a higher rate, for the family members of the individual, that's all...so even if the wife has a preexisting condition like diabetes, the insurance company CAN NOT charge the employer a higher risk rate for the family member than the discounted rate the employer negotiated for his own employees...

that's all it means.

Can you kindly post where this section refers to pre-existing conditions?

Under this plan, Substance abuse disorder benefits are to be equivalent with mental health benefits....wow
pg.23 line 19 and 20
PARITY IN MENTAL HEALTH AND SUBSTANCE
20 ABUSE DISORDER BENEFITS

So now Alcohol abuse treatment will be covered by this UHC....
AA meetings and court ordered driving improvement courses could technically be covered under this provision, since they are a result of a substance abuse disorder.
I wonder if this provision will save health care dollars?

Last edited:
More BS...
pg.24 lines 18-24
A qualified health benefits plan
19 shall meet a medical loss ratio as defined by the Commis20
sioner.
For any plan year in which the qualified health
21 benefits plan does not meet such medical loss ratio, QHBP
22 offering entity shall provide in a manner specified by the
23 Commissioner for rebates to enrollees of payment suffi24
cient to meet such loss ratio.

The Commissioner....commissioner...aka big brother determines these rebates.

Oh yeah, if rebates are being paid to enrollees then where does the money come from to cover members needing treatment.

11 SEC. 242. AFFORDABLE CREDIT ELIGIBLE INDIVIDUAL.
12 (a) DEFINITION.—
13 (1) IN GENERAL.—For purposes of this divi14
sion, the term ‘‘affordable credit eligible individual’’
15 means, subject to subsection (b), an individual who
16 is lawfully present in a State in the United States
17 (other than as a nonimmigrant described in a sub18
paragraph (excluding subparagraphs (K), (T), (U),
19 and (V)) of section 101(a)(15) of the Immigration
20 and Nationality Act)—

SECTIONS 101 DEFINITIONS

K) an alien who is the fiancee or fiancé of a citizen of the United States and who seeks to enter the United States solely to conclude a valid marriage with the petitioner within ninety days after admission, and the minor children of such fiancee or fiancé accompanying him or following to join him;

K) an immigrant who has served honorably on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States after October 15, 1978, and after original lawful enlistment outside the United States (under a treaty or agreement in effect on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph) for a period or periods aggregating-

(T) an offense relating to a failure to appear before a court pursuant to a court order to answer to or dispose of a charge of a felony for which a sentence of 2 years' imprisonment or more may be imposed; and

(U) an attempt or conspiracy to commit an offense described in this paragraph.

The term applies to an offense described in this paragraph whether in violation of Federal or State law and applies to such offense in violation of the law of a foreign country for which the term of imprisonment was completed within the previous 15 years. Notwithstanding any other provision of law (including any effective date), the term applies regardless of whether the conviction was entered before, on, or after the date of enactment of this paragraph.

15) The term "immigrant" means every alien except an alien who is within one of the following classes of nonimmigrant aliens

(A)(i) an ambassador, public minister, or career diplomatic or consular officer who has been accredited by a foreign government recognized de jure by the United States and who is accepted by the President or by the Secretary of State, and the members of the alien's immediate family;

(ii) upon a basis of reciprocity, other officials and employees who have been accredited by a foreign government recognized de jure by the United States, who are accepted by the Secretary of State, and the members of their immediate families; and

(iii) upon a basis of reciprocity, attendants, servants, personal employees, and members of their immediate families, of the officials and employees who have a nonimmigrant status under (i) and (ii) above;

(B) an alien (other than one coming for the purpose of study or of performing skilled or unskilled labor or as a representative of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media coming to engage in such vocation) having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning and who is visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure;

(C) an alien in immediate and continuous transit through the United States, or an alien who qualifies as a person entitled to pass in transit to and from the United Nations Headquarters District and foreign countries, under the provisions of paragraphs (3), (4), and (5) of section 11 of the Headquarters Agreement with the United Nations (61 Stat. 758);

(D)(i) an alien crewman serving in good faith as such in a capacity required for normal operation and service on board a vessel, as defined in section 258(a) (other than a fishing vessel having its home port or an operating base in the United States), or aircraft, who intends to land temporarily and solely in pursuit of his calling as a crewman and to depart from the United States with the vessel or aircraft on which he arrived or some other vessel or aircraft;

(ii) an alien crewman serving in good faith as such in any capacity required for normal operations and service aboard a fishing vessel having its home port or an operating base in the United States who intends to land temporarily in Guam and solely in pursuit of his calling as a crewman and to depart from Guam with the vessel on which he arrived;

Sorry Care but the wording of the bill says otherwise, in fact it seems to indicate that while some are not covered in the sense that criminal Illegal Immigrants are not, it does seem to suggest that a vast majority are, through several back door rules, the most noteable of which is the commissioner(s) ability to set the status of a group as he or she see's fit and with the exceptions clause. I do apprectiate you making me work a little on this though.

12 (a) DEFINITION.—
20 and Nationality Act)—

SECTIONS 101 DEFINITIONS

K) an alien who is the fiancee or fiancé of a citizen of the United States and who seeks to enter the United States solely to conclude a valid marriage with the petitioner within ninety days after admission, and the minor children of such fiancee or fiancé accompanying him or following to join him;

K) an immigrant who has served honorably on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States after October 15, 1978, and after original lawful enlistment outside the United States (under a treaty or agreement in effect on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph) for a period or periods aggregating-

(T) an offense relating to a failure to appear before a court pursuant to a court order to answer to or dispose of a charge of a felony for which a sentence of 2 years' imprisonment or more may be imposed; and

The term applies to an offense described in this paragraph whether in violation of Federal or State law and applies to such offense in violation of the law of a foreign country for which the term of imprisonment was completed within the previous 15 years. Notwithstanding any other provision of law (including any effective date), the term applies regardless of whether the conviction was entered before, on, or after the date of enactment of this paragraph.

15) The term "immigrant" means every alien except an alien who is within one of the following classes of nonimmigrant aliens

(A)(i) an ambassador, public minister, or career diplomatic or consular officer who has been accredited by a foreign government recognized de jure by the United States and who is accepted by the President or by the Secretary of State, and the members of the alien's immediate family;

(ii) upon a basis of reciprocity, other officials and employees who have been accredited by a foreign government recognized de jure by the United States, who are accepted by the Secretary of State, and the members of their immediate families; and

(iii) upon a basis of reciprocity, attendants, servants, personal employees, and members of their immediate families, of the officials and employees who have a nonimmigrant status under (i) and (ii) above;

(B) an alien (other than one coming for the purpose of study or of performing skilled or unskilled labor or as a representative of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media coming to engage in such vocation) having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning and who is visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure;

(C) an alien in immediate and continuous transit through the United States, or an alien who qualifies as a person entitled to pass in transit to and from the United Nations Headquarters District and foreign countries, under the provisions of paragraphs (3), (4), and (5) of section 11 of the Headquarters Agreement with the United Nations (61 Stat. 758);

(D)(i) an alien crewman serving in good faith as such in a capacity required for normal operation and service on board a vessel, as defined in section 258(a) (other than a fishing vessel having its home port or an operating base in the United States), or aircraft, who intends to land temporarily and solely in pursuit of his calling as a crewman and to depart from the United States with the vessel or aircraft on which he arrived or some other vessel or aircraft;

(ii) an alien crewman serving in good faith as such in any capacity required for normal operations and service aboard a fishing vessel having its home port or an operating base in the United States who intends to land temporarily in Guam and solely in pursuit of his calling as a crewman and to depart from Guam with the vessel on which he arrived;

Sorry Care but the wording of the bill says otherwise, in fact it seems to indicate that while some are not covered in the sense that criminal Illegal Immigrants are not, it does seem to suggest that a vast majority are, through several back door rules, the most noteable of which is the commissioner(s) ability to set the status of a group as he or she see's fit and with the exceptions clause. I do apprectiate you making me work a little on this though.

illegal aliens ARE NOT aliens navy? do you think aliens are ILLEGAL aliens?

12 (a) DEFINITION.—
20 and Nationality Act)—

SECTIONS 101 DEFINITIONS

illegal aliens ARE NOT aliens navy? do you think aliens are ILLEGAL aliens?

Aren't aliens little green creatures with little bodies and big heads...LOL

Forum List

Back