Health-reform rally heckler says he's sorry and scared

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Health-reform rally heckler says he's sorry and scared | The Columbus Dispatch

The man who berated and tossed dollar bills at a man with Parkinson's disease during a health care protest last week says he is remorseful and scared.
"I snapped. I absolutely snapped and I can't explain it any other way," said Chris Reichert of Victorian Village, in a Dispatch interview.

In his first comments on an incident that went viral across the Internet and was repeatedly played on cable television news shows, Reichert said he is sorry about his confrontation with Robert A. Letcher, 60, of the North Side. Letcher, a former nuclear engineer who suffers from Parkinson's, was verbally attacked as he sat before anti-health care demonstrators in front of Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy's district office last week.

"He's got every right to do what he did and some may say I did too, but what I did was shameful," Reichert said. "I haven't slept since that day."

"I made a donation (to a local Parkinson's disease group) and that starts the healing process."

Earlier this week, Reichert, 40, denied any involvement in a confrontation featured in a Dispatch video that drew an emotional response from viewers across the country.

"I wanted this to go away, but it won't and I'm paying the consequences," Reichert said.

He said he's fearful for his family after reading comments about his actions on the Internet.

"I've been looking at the web sites," he said. "People are hunting for me."

"That was my first time at any political rally and I'm never going to another one," Reichert said.

"I will never ever, ever go to another one."

Interesting. Here's hoping he can continue his process without any threats and those who are equally angry at him will back off. No death threats are right.

No, they aren't. And it is nice that he is apologetic about his actions.

Indeed. I'm sure the man who he was throwing a dollar at would love to talk to him or least correspond through letters. That would probably help him in his healing process he's trying for.

Forum List

Back