Health Plans Must Provide Some Preventive Tests at No Cost

It's a little known fact that before this law was passed, there wasn't an employer mandate. In fact, there still isn't until 2014. For all the years employer-based coverage has dominated health insurance in the United States, there hasn't been an employer mandate. If you dropped coverage for your employees any time in the past, there was no fine at all levied on you. Not a "negligible" $2,000 per employee fine (and following that characterization of the fine, I'd hope not to see future threads from you about how terrible a burden this fine is for businesses), no fine at all.

Why do you think employers offered coverage in the past and offer it today?

Because it is a legacy from WW2 when employers were limited in salary they could offer but unlimited in perks. So to attract people they offered health insurance. The insurance premiums are treated as an expense to the business and thus deductible but not treated as salary to the employee so not taxable. That makes it a cheap way to attract better employees for less money than offering comparable salaries.
Personally I would get rid of the tax benefit and cut payroll taxes across the board.

Exactly. It's part of the benefit package and is relatively more attractive (generally to employers and employees alike) than equivalent wages because of the tax treatment of employer-sponsored health insurance benefits. The notion that you can simply ax health benefits to save money ignores the fact that they're part of the employee's compensation package and eliminating the health benefit would require raising wages to compensate.

Quantum Windbag,
Your inability to express yourself using appropriate language is not excusable. With no cause that I discern, you described me as a “liar’. If not by first grade, our society expects more mature behavior from our children before they leave the second grade of elementary school. Even if you had no one to instruct you, intelligent children absorb civility as they mature. I suppose your mother tried to raise you better. Parents try but some children refuse to learn.

Wow, talk about dense. Didn't you argue that preventative tests are going to reduce costs? Why does everyone have to pay more if costs are reduced? Could it possibly be because the idea that preventative tests do not reduce overall costs if they are applied en masse to everyone?

Windbag,
. . . in response to your message #57, I’ve selected some specific lines from this thread’s prior posts that addressed this specific comment.

[Your concentration is apparently limited or you can’t be expected to read too many words].

*** Excerpted from message #35:
. . . . “Mr. Pear, (the author of the NY Times article, “Health plans must provide some preventive tests at no costs”) understated the net expense as “no cost”. The consensus of the medical profession is because many insurers now requiring copayments for the selected preventive medical procedures, our nation’s aggregate net healthcare expenses are greater and the conditions of patients are worse (than otherwise)”.

*** Excerpted from message #44:
. . . . “The preventive medical procedures recommended by the USPSTF are based upon more factors than the just patients’ ages. The procedures were recommended with regard to their cost, the medical risks integral to the procedures themselves, the tests ability to decrease the aggregate net long term expenses of our government, the insurers, the insurance purchasers and patients. There’s also some consideration for extending the quality of life and life spans”.

No one is mandating that anyone submit to e tests but as a taxpayer I’m opposed to greater government expense because someone who has medical insurance but is unwilling or unable to co-pay for one of the recommended preventive medical procedures.

*** Transcript of message #46:
“Windbag,
. . . I iterate that I’m opposed to greater government expense because someone having medical insurance is unwilling or unable to co-pay for one of the recommended preventive medical procedures.

These regulations are applicable to all USA medical insurers and they create no competitive disadvantage. The immediate expense increases that are estimated to be 1.5% can be passed on to insurance purchasers. No insurance company will go out of business due to these regulations.

Due to these regulation changes there will be an aggregate medium to long term decrease of expenses o all. If you’re an adult doesn’t understand this logic, no amount of additional education is likely to help your case. Don’t waste your money on further schooling”.

Respectfully, Supposn".

Quantum Windbag,
.............. Your inability to express yourself using appropriate language is not excusable. With no cause that I discern, you described me as a “liar’. If not by first grade, our society expects more mature behavior from our children before they leave the second grade of elementary school. Even if you had no one to instruct you, intelligent children absorb civility as they mature. I suppose your mother tried to raise you better. Parents try but some children refuse to learn.

................ Please point to where I said I was being dumped.

Windbagm this is excerpted from your message #48:
. . . “As I previously explained in this thread that 1.5%, even if accurate, does not apply to everyone. As quite a few people will be dumped from their existing plans and into health exchanges, subsidized by the government, they will end up with 0 cost to themselves in co pays and insurance premiums, and more cost to your precious wallet. If you actually get to keep your insurance your costs will also go up to cover the new requirements, again more cost to your precious wallet”.

Exactly. It's part of the benefit package and is relatively more attractive (generally to employers and employees alike) than equivalent wages because of the tax treatment of employer-sponsored health insurance benefits. The notion that you can simply ax health benefits to save money ignores the fact that they're part of the employee's compensation package and eliminating the health benefit would require raising wages to compensate.

Not really. Especially if everyone is doing it.
The health insurance benefit has value, but it has a limited value. When the cost exceeds that value, it ceases to be valuable. Once employers think they can get away with dumping the liability on the government they will do so. Especially in a recession when there are many qualified workers for those jobs.

Quantum Windbag,

.................... Your inability to express yourself using appropriate language is not excusable. With no cause that I discern, you described me as a “liar’. If not by first grade, our society expects more mature behavior from our children before they leave the second grade of elementary school. Even if you had no one to instruct you, intelligent children absorb civility as they mature. I suppose your mother tried to raise you better. Parents try but some children refuse to learn.

....................... I am going to loose my coverage, which I shopped long and hard for, because the terms of the plan I like will cost me more than they are worth to me, because the company is going to be forced to accept everyone who applies, regardless of their risk, and regardless of preexisting conditions. that wonderful idea will raise my costs, even though I do not have those conditions, and specifically understand that if it suddenly turns out that I have a long term disease that I do not know about, it is not their responsibility to cover it. Since I actually have a problem that might flare up, that predates my purchase of the policy, their potential liability has now increased based on what they already know about me, just like it has for anyone who has ever had chicken pox.

This entire paragraph is irrelative to the topic of this thread which is regulations prohibiting insurers requiring co-payments for specified preventive medical procedures.

Quantum Windbag,

.................... Your inability to express yourself using appropriate language is not excusable. With no cause that I discern, you described me as a “liar’. If not by first grade, our society expects more mature behavior from our children before they leave the second grade of elementary school. Even if you had no one to instruct you, intelligent children absorb civility as they mature. I suppose your mother tried to raise you better. Parents try but some children refuse to learn.

....................... I am going to loose my coverage, which I shopped long and hard for, because the terms of the plan I like will cost me more than they are worth to me, because the company is going to be forced to accept everyone who applies, regardless of their risk, and regardless of preexisting conditions. that wonderful idea will raise my costs, even though I do not have those conditions, and specifically understand that if it suddenly turns out that I have a long term disease that I do not know about, it is not their responsibility to cover it. Since I actually have a problem that might flare up, that predates my purchase of the policy, their potential liability has now increased based on what they already know about me, just like it has for anyone who has ever had chicken pox.

This entire paragraph is irrelative to the topic of this thread which is regulations prohibiting insurers requiring co-payments for specified preventive medical procedures.

If you did not want a discussion about the real world affects of regulation then you should have written your little blurb in a journal, and not posted it in a forum.

I notice also that you still cannot address the points I make.

The CBO exposed the prevenative testing lie Obama was preaching to sell the healthcare plan. Prevenative testing increases the overall cost far more than any savings from early diagnosis of expensive illness.

For example, many observers point to cases in which a simple medical test, if given early enough, can reveal a condition that is treatable at a fraction of the cost of treating that same illness after it has progressed. In such cases, an ounce of prevention improves health and reduces spending—for that individual. But when analyzing the effects of preventive care on total spending for health care, it is important to recognize that doctors do not know beforehand which patients are going to develop costly illnesses. To avert one case of acute illness, it is usually necessary to provide preventive care to many patients, most of whom would not have suffered that illness anyway. Even when the unit cost of a particular preventive service is low, costs can accumulate quickly when a large number of patients are treated preventively. Judging the overall effect on medical spending requires analysts to calculate not just the savings from the relatively few individuals who would avoid more expensive treatment later, but also the costs for the many who would make greater use of preventive care.

The CBO exposed the prevenative testing lie Obama was preaching to sell the healthcare plan. Prevenative testing increases the overall cost far more than any savings from early diagnosis of expensive illness.

For example, many observers point to cases in which a simple medical test, if given early enough, can reveal a condition that is treatable at a fraction of the cost of treating that same illness after it has progressed. In such cases, an ounce of prevention improves health and reduces spending—for that individual. But when analyzing the effects of preventive care on total spending for health care, it is important to recognize that doctors do not know beforehand which patients are going to develop costly illnesses. To avert one case of acute illness, it is usually necessary to provide preventive care to many patients, most of whom would not have suffered that illness anyway. Even when the unit cost of a particular preventive service is low, costs can accumulate quickly when a large number of patients are treated preventively. Judging the overall effect on medical spending requires analysts to calculate not just the savings from the relatively few individuals who would avoid more expensive treatment later, but also the costs for the many who would make greater use of preventive care.

Yes. As is typical of the administration, things that "sound good" fall apart in the light of logic and fact. Greenbeard perversely argues that a government program which has no mandate to be self sustaining,and will be forced to take high risk/low income patients will somehow not lead to them being subsidized with taxpayer funds, will not result in higher rates among private insurers, and will not ultimately result in worse health care for the rest of us. This is nothing more than wishful thinking.

.................Personally I would get rid of the tax benefit
(and the legal mandate upon employers?) ..................

Rabbi, this is one of those too rare points within a topic upon which you and I concur. I do agree that government should not mandate employers’ be responsible for their employees healthcare insure.

Refer to the Government healthcare forum’s message #3 of the thread, “Medicare is USA’s golden standard of public healthcare”.

Respectfully, Supposn

I'll show you my relevant legislative text if you show me yours.

Proving what? Do you say that SS was not designed to be an "insurance program" and self sustaining? Do you deny that it is anything but today?
And you have not shown, despite repeated challenges, any government program that was initially self sustaining and remains that way today.

Proving what? Do you say that SS was not designed to be an "insurance program" and self sustaining?

Show me the relevant text showing Social Security was originally intended to be financed by current beneficiaries.

Of course you can't because it wasn't. It's always been financed through a payroll tax on non-beneficiaries. In other words, its financing mechanism has never been comparable to the financing mechanism of the proposed public option.

Of course it will. And just so we all know who is going to administer this Obamanation:

Berwick is the CMS administrator. This story is primarily about commercial insurance plans. Two different domains.

"at no cost".

I love it. Absolutely nothing comes for no cost. Anywhere. For anything. For any reason.

That means no cost-sharing at the point of care. If you're getting evidence-based preventive care, you won't be charged a copay or pay coinsurance. It's designed, obviously, to encourage people to take advantage of preventive care. It doesn't mean they're no longer paying premiums for their insurance.

The first cut in the execution of the private health care industry.

And done by unconstitutional presidential fiat no less! How peachy is that shit?

This provision is in the text of the law (SEC. 2713. COVERAGE OF PREVENTIVE HEALTH SERVICES). Rulemaking is always done because legislation instructs the Secretary to do so in administering a given piece of a law, its not unconstitutional nor is it simply done on a whim.

Berwick?

Why is that name so familiar?

Oh, right!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Kevz_9lsw[/ame]

Last edited:
And we can have faith in the programs because we know it was thoughtfully crafted and it's not a tax...wait, this just it, Obama now says it is a tax!

I guess Pelosi was right, we really did have to read the bill to see what was in it.

Kiss my, in response to your message *68, which you began with
. . . “The CBO exposed the prevenative testing lie Obama was preaching to sell the healthcare plan. Prevenative testing increases the overall cost far more than any savings from early diagnosis of expensive illness.“ I refer you back to this transcript of message #44:

The simple fact that is the AMA, and many other groups, are coming down against routine screening of everyone for everything because unnecessary testing drives up health insurance costs, yet you are trying to argue this is going to save me money. It is a lot more cost effective to base testing on a risk screening than on age.

Quantum Windbag,
. . . excepted from: http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstfab.htm :

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), first convened by the U.S. Public Health Service in 1984, and since 1998 sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), is the leading independent panel of private-sector experts in prevention and primary care. The USPSTF conducts rigorous, impartial assessments of the scientific evidence for the effectiveness of a broad range of clinical preventive services, including screening, counseling, and preventive medications. Its recommendations are considered the "gold standard" for clinical preventive services.

The mission of the USPSTF is to evaluate the benefits of individual services based on age, gender, and risk factors for disease; make recommendations about which preventive services should be incorporated routinely into primary medical care and for which populations; and identify a research agenda for clinical preventive care.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The preventive medical procedures recommended by the USPSTF are based upon more factors than the just patients’ ages. The procedures were recommended with regard to their cost, the medical risks integral to the procedures themselves, the tests ability to decrease the aggregate net long term expenses of our government, the insurers, the insurance purchasers and patients. There’s also some consideration for extending the quality of life and life spans.

No one is mandating that anyone submit to e tests but as a taxpayer I’m opposed to greater government expense because someone who has medical insurance but is unwilling or unable to co-pay for one of the recommended preventive medical procedures.

Respectfully, Supposn

WASHINGTON — The White House on Wednesday issued new rules requiring health insurance companies to provide free coverage for dozens of screenings, laboratory tests and other types of preventive care.
. . . The new requirements promise significant benefits for consumers — if they take advantage of the services that should now be more readily available and affordable.

The idiocy of their bright idea is that they are not taking into account human nature, specifically American nature. Americans generally want to smoke like stacks, eat like hogs, and drink like fish, then get Big Daddy to pick up the tab for fixing them. I have no problem with doing whatever you wish to your own body, but I do resent the hell out of paying for someone else's stupid ass because he neglected his own health. Get all the free screenings you want, but you really don't have much of a need if you take decent care of your own needs and avoid unhealtlhy habits.

Forum List

Back