Health Nazis

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
On Monday Mayor Michael Bloomberg unveiled a new plan targeting your health -- and your taste buds.

And it could have companies cutting down a key ingredient in your meals.

New York City's new war on salt is reminiscent of its pioneer smoking ban, decision to regulate trans-fats in restaurants, and mandatory posting of calorie content. It's an ambitious initiative by our admittedly salt-aholic mayor to coax a voluntary 25 percent reduction in salt content in our food over the next five years.

Bloomberg, however, was adamant Monday, saying salt is a menace ranked with tobacco and asbestos.

NYC Asks Food Manufacturers To Cut Salt Content - wcbstv.com

The war on obesity will soon heat up in New Jersey. The Assembly Monday OK'd a bill that would require chain restaurants to provide caloric information for any food or beverage item listed on its menu. Information on saturated and trans fat, carbohydrates and sodium content would have to be provided to customers upon request.

Under the bill, any chain retail food establishment that fails to provide information would be liable for a civil penalty ranging from $50 to $100 for the first offense, and a penalty of $250 to $500 for the second or any subsequent offense.

New Jersey 101.5 FM - NJ Fires Another Salvo in the War on Obesity

I found both these articles interesting in light of our recent discussion on smoking bans. Are we headed toward a total nanny state where the govt. tells us what we can eat?

"My body, my choice" or "Your health, social problem"?

The war on obesity will soon heat up in New Jersey. The Assembly Monday OK'd a bill that would require chain restaurants to provide caloric information for any food or beverage item listed on its menu. Information on saturated and trans fat, carbohydrates and sodium content would have to be provided to customers upon request.

That's right...your body, your choice.

This information would allow you to make a decision as to what you want to consume.

Unless you let a man impregnate you, then it's NOT your choice. You are obligated to spend $200,000 to raise a child.

Child Cost Calculator

Xotoxi - then you would agree with me that young girls should be completely informed about an abortion procedure? Wouldn't a video be helpful in the interest of "informed consent"?

From allowing people to actually have some idea what they're paying for and eating to abortion? Talk about thread drift! :lol:

Xotoxi - then you would agree with me that young girls should be completely informed about an abortion procedure? Wouldn't a video be helpful in the interest of "informed consent"?

First of all, abortion has nothing to do with food.

Secondly, if a video of ANY surgical procedure was shown as part of "informed consent", no surgery would ever be performed.

Have you ever seen a knee replacement?

Why, so you can impose YOUR beliefs onto her? Hey, maybe if you inform her about birth control and safe sex she will never have to make that decision...

They show videos of birth including C-sections in school. So I take that as a "no". Hamburgers - serious decision Abortion - no biggie

Back to topic - I have not eaten a Cinnabon since I found out the calories. I'm sure I'm not alone. This new law will destroy some of these chains. Some people may think that is in the greater good. I don't. On account of the recession and all.

This is just a small step in controlling our food supply in the near future. Heads up people.

They show videos of birth including C-sections in school. So I take that as a "no". Hamburgers - serious decision Abortion - no biggie

Back to topic - I have not eaten a Cinnabon since I found out the calories. I'm sure I'm not alone. This new law will destroy some of these chains. Some people may think that is in the greater good. I don't. On account of the recession and all.

This is just a small step in controlling our food supply in the near future. Heads up people.

SO...you want to control a young girl by having her watch a gruesome video to lay enough guilt on her to conform to YOUR beliefs then why not make everyone watch a video of the damage to arteries and your heart caused by Cinnabons?

Do you really think that the new law will destroy these chains?

Do you really think that these people are going to change what they eat?

obesepair.jpg

Then again...maybe they should.

Just because they should does not equal "there oughta be a law"

And btw - I am pro choice I just think too many girls are led to believe "its no biggie" on account of no parents informed and all.

Just because they should does not equal "there oughta be a law"

And btw - I am pro choice I just think too many girls are led to believe "its no biggie" on account of no parents informed and all.

Sure. Let's include the option of showing a video of an abortion as part of informed consent.

However, just like in the case of restaurants making their nutritional information available for those who request it, the consumer/patient could opt NOT to request this information/view the video in making their choice.

On Monday Mayor Michael Bloomberg unveiled a new plan targeting your health -- and your taste buds.

New York City's new war on salt is reminiscent of its pioneer smoking ban, decision to regulate trans-fats in restaurants, and mandatory posting of calorie content. It's an ambitious initiative by our admittedly salt-aholic mayor to coax a voluntary 25 percent reduction in salt content in our food over the next five years.

Bloomberg, however, was adamant Monday, saying salt is a menace ranked with tobacco and asbestos.

Under the bill, any chain retail food establishment that fails to provide information would be liable for a civil penalty ranging from $50 to $100 for the first offense, and a penalty of $250 to $500 for the second or any subsequent offense.

I found both these articles interesting in light of our recent discussion on smoking bans. Are we headed toward a total nanny state where the govt. tells us what we can eat?

You don't want to know how much of that shit is in what you eat? You wingnuts always have something to complain about... stupid stuff.

I wonder how many pro-choice liberals campaigned for smoking bans?

I smell hypocrisy...

Health Nazis? - yeah the Nazis were really concerned about the health of soooo many people.

Of course that will go hand in hand with NHC......

Forum List

Back