Health care loophole would allow coverage limits

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack

Dec 11, 9:19 AM (ET)

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR

WASHINGTON (AP) - A loophole in the Senate health care bill would let insurers place annual dollar limits on medical care for people struggling with costly illnesses such as cancer, prompting a rebuke from patient advocates.

The legislation that originally passed the Senate health committee last summer would have banned such limits, but a tweak to that provision weakened it in the bill now moving toward a Senate vote.

As currently written, the Senate Democratic health care bill would permit insurance companies to place annual limits on the dollar value of medical care, as long as those limits are not "unreasonable." The bill does not define what level of limits would be allowable, delegating that task to administration officials.

Adding to the puzzle, the new language was quietly tucked away in a clause in the bill still captioned "No lifetime or annual limits."

The 2,074-page bill would carry out President Barack Obama's plan to revamp the health care system, expanding coverage to millions now uninsured and trying to slow budget-busting cost increases. A tentative deal among Senate Democrats to back away from creating a new government program to compete with private insurers appears to have overcome a major obstacle to the bill's passage.

Officials of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network said they were taken by surprise when the earlier ban on annual coverage limits was undercut, adding that they have not been able to get a satisfactory explanation.

"We don't know who put it in, or why it was put in," said Stephen Finan, a policy expert with the cancer society's advocacy affiliate.

My Way News - Health care loophole would allow coverage limits

It should be pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that "the health care bill" is totally out of control. You should have know that when Reid made the Second Louisiana Purchase!

Already cutting benefits? Unions screaming about tax on their middle class member's policies. Abortion coverage? Public option? If the premiums were going to be so good, just publish the rates.

Until these things are worked out, Congress has no business bringing the bill to the floor.

I agree. This thing is one giant clusterfuck. The Dems want to pass something, anything just so they can say how "Historic" it is. Its 2,000 pages of BS. Jeeze.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that "the health care bill" is totally out of control. You should have know that when Reid made the Second Louisiana Purchase!

I know. They're trying to make it more and more like private health care all the time.

I predicted this would happen. The opponents set out to make this happen.
The result being something that no one wants. Except perhaps the insurance/health care industry.

Dec 11, 9:19 AM (ET)

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR

Officials of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network said they were taken by surprise when the earlier ban on annual coverage limits was undercut, adding that they have not been able to get a satisfactory explanation.

"We don't know who put it in, or why it was put in," said Stephen Finan, a policy expert with the cancer society's advocacy affiliate.

My Way News - Health care loophole would allow coverage limits

FDL Action » Harry Reid Slips Lifetime Limit Into Senate Bill

People are asking who put this in the bill. The only person who could put this in the bill is Harry Reid. As Majority Leader, Reid alone is responsible for combining the bills that came from the Senate Finance Committee and the Senate HELP Committee into the bill that went to the floor of the Senate. But neither of those bills had a lifetime limit on benefits. That was manufactured solely by Reid–in violation of the promise made repeatedly by President Obama.

Reid is also manipulating procedure to keep the Dorgan drug reimportation amendment, which would save both the government and consumers hundreds of millions of dollars, from coming to a vote.

Notice that Reid never uses the powers he has against Joe Lieberman.

I wonder why?

Forum List

Back