Health-care law will add $340 billion to deficit

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
So much for ObamaCare lowering the deficit. Of course, it still amazes me anyone was stupid enough to believe that in the first place.

President Obama’s landmark health-care initiative, long touted as a means to control costs, will actually add more than $340 billion to the nation’s budget woes over the next decade, according to a new study by a Republican member of the board that oversees Medicare financing.

The study is set to be released Tuesday by Charles Blahous, a conservative policy analyst whom Obama approved in 2010 as the GOP trustee for Medicare and Social Security. His analysis challenges the conventional wisdom that the health-care law, which calls for an expensive expansion of coverage for the uninsured beginning in 2014, will nonetheless reduce deficits by raising taxes and cutting payments to Medicare providers.

The 2010 law does generate both savings and revenue. But much of that money will flow into the Medicare hospitalization trust fund — and, under law, the money must be used to pay years of additional benefits to those who are already insured. That means those savings would not be available to pay for expanding coverage for the uninsured.

“Does the health-care act worsen the deficit? The answer, I think, is clearly that it does,” Blahous, a senior research fellow at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center, said in an interview. “If one asserts that this law extends the solvency of Medicare, then one is affirming that this law adds to the deficit. Because the expansion of the Medicare trust fund and the creation of the new subsidies together create more spending than existed under prior law.”

Health-care law will add $340 billion to deficit, new study finds - The Washington Post

Your surprised dems are dumb enough to believe that you can add 30 million to the welfare rolls , have civil servants run it and its going to be less costly and more effecient ???

clueless imbeciles

Kinda reminds me of BushII's pill bill.
With no negotiating of drug prices with the manufacturers.

And who was that guy theyr fired for pretty accurately predicting it's true cost?

Bush III....

Last edited:
ROTFL so now republicans are saing Obamacare will increase the deficit because they decide that half of the measures in the bill that reduce the deficit should not be counted. It is re3ally sad how stupid people like the original poster are so guilble that if republicans told him cutting military spending increased the deficit they'd believe it

ROTFL so now republicans are saing Obamacare will increase the deficit because they decide that half of the measures in the bill that reduce the deficit should not be counted. It is re3ally sad how stupid people like the original poster are so guilble that if republicans told him cutting military spending increased the deficit they'd believe it

I have no idea what you just said kid, but it touched my heart........

Balancing the budget is not the same thing as paying off the national debt. Balancing the budget is possible and paying off the national debt is mathematically impossible.
But i don't know how it is possible .

Balancing the budget is not the same thing as paying off the national debt. Balancing the budget is possible and paying off the national debt is mathematically impossible.
any comment

It's not impossible. There is just simply no will to do it among the people or the politicians.

So much for ObamaCare lowering the deficit. Of course, it still amazes me anyone was stupid enough to believe that in the first place.

President Obama’s landmark health-care initiative, long touted as a means to control costs, will actually add more than $340 billion to the nation’s budget woes over the next decade, according to a new study by a Republican member of the board that oversees Medicare financing.

The study is set to be released Tuesday by Charles Blahous, a conservative policy analyst whom Obama approved in 2010 as the GOP trustee for Medicare and Social Security. His analysis challenges the conventional wisdom that the health-care law, which calls for an expensive expansion of coverage for the uninsured beginning in 2014, will nonetheless reduce deficits by raising taxes and cutting payments to Medicare providers.

The 2010 law does generate both savings and revenue. But much of that money will flow into the Medicare hospitalization trust fund — and, under law, the money must be used to pay years of additional benefits to those who are already insured. That means those savings would not be available to pay for expanding coverage for the uninsured.

“Does the health-care act worsen the deficit? The answer, I think, is clearly that it does,” Blahous, a senior research fellow at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center, said in an interview. “If one asserts that this law extends the solvency of Medicare, then one is affirming that this law adds to the deficit. Because the expansion of the Medicare trust fund and the creation of the new subsidies together create more spending than existed under prior law.”

Health-care law will add $340 billion to deficit, new study finds - The Washington Post

Hmmm . . . how much did Bush's senior discount prescription program add?

Either both of our parties work together, or the GOP is going to end up in the toilet.

Having state Government control Health Care so everyone is covered, has resulted in Massachussetts becoming the highest in Health Care cost over any other state in the nation. Why should a national government health care option be any different, and not follow the same deficit path?

On December 8, 2003 President Bush signed the Medicare bill into law following a contentious debate in Congress and an unusually long roll call vote.1 Weeks after the signing, the White House's 2004 budget request estimated the price of the Act at over $540 billion. This request was 35% higher than the $395 billion Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimate that was used to pitch the bill to lawmakers.

True Cost of Medicare Drug Bill Hidden | Union of Concerned Scientists

Having state Government control Health Care so everyone is covered, has resulted in Massachussetts becoming the highest in Health Care cost over any other state in the nation. Why should a national government health care option be any different, and not follow the same deficit path?

link.

Actually health care costs DECREASED after Mass refroms
Ezra Klein - Massachusetts provides evidence that health-care reform lowers insurance premiums
-Evidence from Mass shows that costs will drop by 55%, though Mass has less cost controls and reductions then the ACA. Cost to drop 50% in non-group market. In the next 4 years.

Furthermore all the analysis show Obamacare causing health costs to decrease
Ezra Klein - Does health-care reform bend the cost curve up?
^Health care reform (ACA) reduces total national health care spending by .1% a year while at the same time expanding coverage to 35 million people.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2010/05/pdf/system_spending.pdf
^Cutler/Davis estimates that the ACA will reduce the deficit by 250billion more than the CBO for a total of 400 billion.
The Impact of Health Reform on Health System Spending
^Analysis concludes that health reform will expand health insurance for 35million people while simultaneously reducing overall health spending by around 2% (or .2% yearly)
This analysis does not include savings, from reduced job lock, less ER visits, and increased productivity/lifetime earnings.

Come back when you've got a clue

Ezra Klein - Massachusetts provides evidence that health-care reform lowers insurance premiums
-Evidence from Mass shows that costs will drop by 55%, though Mass has less cost controls and reductions then the ACA. Cost to drop 50% in non-group market. In the next 4 years.

^Health care reform (ACA) reduces total national health care spending by .1% a year while at the same time expanding coverage to 35 million people.

^Cutler/Davis estimates that the ACA will reduce the deficit by 250billion more than the CBO for a total of 400 billion.
^Analysis concludes that health reform will expand health insurance for 35million people while simultaneously reducing overall health spending by around 2% (or .2% yearly)
This analysis does not include savings, from reduced job lock, less ER visits, and increased productivity/lifetime earnings.

Good advice

The cost of health insurance for many Americans this year climbed more sharply than in previous years, outstripping any growth in workers’ wages and adding more uncertainty about the pace of rising medical costs.

A new study by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit research group that tracks employer-sponsored health insurance on a yearly basis, shows that the average annual premium for family coverage through an employer reached $15,073 in 2011, an increase of 9 percent over the previous year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/b...ply-this-year-study-shows.html?pagewanted=all

Reporting from Sacramento — Fewer California companies offered their workers health insurance last year, and the ones that did charged employees more for their coverage.

That's among the findings of an annual California Employer Health Benefits Survey released Wednesday by the California HealthCare Foundation, a research and grant-making nonprofit organization.

According to the survey, premiums for employer health insurance plans have risen 153.5% since 2002, a rate that's more than five times the increase in California's inflation rate.

In the last two years alone, the proportion of state employers offering coverage to workers fell to 63% from 73%, the survey said.

"This is a departure from previous years and could be an early sign of future changes," the foundation report noted in commentary on data collected between July and October 2011 in interviews with 770 private firm benefit managers.

The steady rise in costs during a prolonged economic downturn contributed to decisions by about a quarter of employers to either reduce benefits or increase cost sharing for employees in 2011. A slightly smaller percentage, 22%, opted to make workers pay more of the share of the higher premiums.

Health insurance is expected to take even more money out of workers' pockets this year. The survey indicated that 36% of California firms said they were either "very" or somewhat" likely to raise the amount that their staff paid in premiums in 2012.

Survey shows California healthcare costs rising, benefits shrinking - Los Angeles Times

Ezra Klein (born May 9, 1984) is a liberal American blogger and columnist for The Washington Post, a columnist for Bloomberg, and a contributor to MSNBC

Ezra Klein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good advice

The cost of health insurance for many Americans this year climbed more sharply than in previous years, outstripping any growth in workers’ wages and adding more uncertainty about the pace of rising medical costs.

A new study by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit research group that tracks employer-sponsored health insurance on a yearly basis, shows that the average annual premium for family coverage through an employer reached $15,073 in 2011, an increase of 9 percent over the previous year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/b...ply-this-year-study-shows.html?pagewanted=all

Reporting from Sacramento — Fewer California companies offered their workers health insurance last year, and the ones that did charged employees more for their coverage.

That's among the findings of an annual California Employer Health Benefits Survey released Wednesday by the California HealthCare Foundation, a research and grant-making nonprofit organization.

According to the survey, premiums for employer health insurance plans have risen 153.5% since 2002, a rate that's more than five times the increase in California's inflation rate.

In the last two years alone, the proportion of state employers offering coverage to workers fell to 63% from 73%, the survey said.

"This is a departure from previous years and could be an early sign of future changes," the foundation report noted in commentary on data collected between July and October 2011 in interviews with 770 private firm benefit managers.

The steady rise in costs during a prolonged economic downturn contributed to decisions by about a quarter of employers to either reduce benefits or increase cost sharing for employees in 2011. A slightly smaller percentage, 22%, opted to make workers pay more of the share of the higher premiums.

Health insurance is expected to take even more money out of workers' pockets this year. The survey indicated that 36% of California firms said they were either "very" or somewhat" likely to raise the amount that their staff paid in premiums in 2012.

Survey shows California healthcare costs rising, benefits shrinking - Los Angeles Times

Ezra Klein (born May 9, 1984) is a liberal American blogger and columnist for The Washington Post, a columnist for Bloomberg, and a contributor to MSNBC

Ezra Klein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh I see so because some one is liberal the sky is red. Dumbass. Like all conservative you reject reality mostly because you are to pathetic to accept that you hold a world view similar to that of a 2 year old

Oh I see so because some one is liberal the sky is red. Dumbass.

I never said that. You did.

Like all conservative

I am not a conservative.

you reject reality mostly because you are to pathetic to accept that you hold a world view similar to that of a 2 year old

Speaking of two year olds, kind of like you calling me a dumb ass because I put up articles that discredited Mr. Klein's claims?

:dig:

Oh I see so because some one is liberal the sky is red. Dumbass.

I never said that. You did.
Jesus you and your Business degree don't even know what a metaphor is..

Like all conservative

I am not a conservative.[/quote]
Stupid whatever same difference

you reject reality mostly because you are to pathetic to accept that you hold a world view similar to that of a 2 year old

Speaking of two year olds, kind of like you calling me a dumb ass because I put up articles that discredited Mr. Klein's claims?

:dig:[/QUOTE]
ROTFL only a dumbass thinks being a liberal is discrediting someone. I am awaiting for your stupid response that will be something like "Obamacare increases the deficit because we shouldn't count all the measure it takes to decrease the deficit" Which was what your original post was

:dig:
ROTFL only a dumbass thinks being a liberal is discrediting someone.

I didn't say that. I said the articles I posted discredited his claims.

I am awaiting for your stupid response that will be something like "Obamacare increases the deficit because we shouldn't count all the measure it takes to decrease the deficit" Which was what your original post was

I never said that either. I also didn't write the Washington Post article. If you have issues with what was presented in it then perhaps you should take that up with the author.

Forum List

Back