Health Care Bill Gives Secretary of Health and Human Services a Blank Check???

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town

Interesting interview to watch.

I wish she gave some direction to make it easier to find this stuff in the bill. Does anyone possibly know where in the bill she specifically got that from, not that I dont trust politicians but ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true.

The HHS Secretary has huge, unchecked powers to make policy and spend money.

The Obama budget goes to great lengths to hide how much money the Obamanation will cost.

This is true.

The HHS Secretary has huge, unchecked powers to make policy and spend money.

The Obama budget goes to great lengths to hide how much money the Obamanation will cost.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true. Its what I expect from this administration, the senate/house it used to control when the bill was made, and the apollo alliance who wrote it.

Still "trust but verify" ;).

It's truly an ugly thing...and a big increase in the (Unconstitutional) Fourth Branch of Government: The Permanent Regulatory Bureaucracy.

A quick search of the Senate health bill will bring up "secretary" 2,500 times.

That's because Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius would be awarded unprecedented new powers under the proposal, including the authority to decide what medical care should be covered by insurers as well as the terms and conditions of coverage and who should receive it.

"The legislation lists 1,697 times where the secretary of health and humans services is given the authority to create, determine or define things in the bill," said Devon Herrick, a health care expert at the National Center for Policy Analysis.

For instance, on Page 122 of the 2,079-page bill, the secretary is given the power to establish "the basic per enrollee, per month cost, determined on average actuarial basis, for including coverage under a qualified health care plan."

The HHS secretary would also have the power to decide where abortion is allowed under a government-run plan, which has drawn opposition from Republicans and some moderate Democrats.

And the bill even empowers the department to establish a Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation that would have the authority to make cost-saving cuts without having to get the approval of Congress first.

"It's a huge amount of power being shifted to HHS, and much of it is highly discretionary," said Edmund Haislmaier, an expert in health care policy and insurance markets at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.

Haislmaier said one the greatest powers HHS would gain from the bill is the authority to regulate insurance. States currently hold this power, and under the Senate bill, the federal government would usurp it from them. This could lead to the federal government putting restrictions and changes in place that destabilize the private insurance market by forcing companies to lower premiums and other charges, he said.

HHS would become federal giant under Senate plan | Susan Ferrechio | Politics | Washington Examiner

Remember now,, every single solitary Republican voted against this shit!

Remember? The Party of Know? :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

thanks for the post boedicca. I've seen similar stuff but just wanted to find the specific part of the bill that opens up the money gates to this or future health and human services seceretaries.

Funny play on words willow ;)

Forum List

Back