Health-Care Anger Has Deeper Roots

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
WASHINGTON -- Recent town-hall uproars weren't just about health care. They were also eruptions of concern that the government is taking on too much at once.

That suggests trouble for the president and his party, and fears of losses in next year's midterm election are likely to shape the Democrats' fall agenda.

At August's town-hall meetings, voters often started with complaints about health care, only to shift to frustrations about all the other things President Barack Obama and the Democrats have done or tried to do since January. The $787 billion economic-stimulus package, the government-led rescue of General Motors Corp. and climate-change legislation all came in for criticism.

"A lot of the anxiety we face here has less to do with health care and everything to do with the overall state of the economy and government," said Rep. Anthony Weiner, a New York Democrat.

"I have seen a level of dissatisfaction and even anger that I haven't experienced in the years that I've been a member of Congress," Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican, told an audience at a health-care meeting in Kansas City on Monday.

Although the election is still far off, political forecasters predict that Democrats could run into trouble in the 2010 midterm vote.

Health-Care Anger Has Deeper Roots - WSJ.com

Someone has been paying attention.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
If the economy picks up it won't matter.

What I find the most amusing is that it seems to be those on medicare that are the most vocal.

they are the minority anyway

I posted in this one and now its marked old too.

Most of what you have seen in the tea parties and the town halls is folks who were unhappy with the government to start with, but were promised hope and change and voted for it. Buyers remorse has set in, and now they're vocal.

So when the idiots of the world say "where were all these protesters during the eight years of boooooosh?" That's the answer. They were talking with their votes, and weren't listened to.

Keep thinking that. The republicans thought that those people screaming at them about their spending and their desire to give amnesty to illegal aliens were a fringe minority. 2006 told them the truth.

Keep thinking that. The republicans thought that those people screaming at them about their spending and their desire to give amnesty to illegal aliens were a fringe minority. 2006 told them the truth.
As did 2008.

See, this is the answer to the idiotic question, "where were the protesters" they were voting OUT incumbents! Then when "Hope and Change" came along they voted FOR it in droves, and can see now they were conned.

When the Con loses the Mark, the Mark sometimes gets loudly vocal.

'Let them eat cake' is not a winning formula.
It worked well for Bush.
It did?

It passed his agenda?

There is off shore drilling for oil, god in all the schools, tort reform and war with iran?
Not everything...war with Iraq and torture are pretty good accomplishments for him.

Let them eat cake worked even better for Ronnie, though.

I honestly don't see health care for all as a bad thing...and it does make me laugh that people on medicare are the largest group against it.

It worked well for Bush.
It did?

It passed his agenda?

There is off shore drilling for oil, god in all the schools, tort reform and war with iran?
Not everything...war with Iraq and torture are pretty good accomplishments for him.

I honestly don't see health care for all as a bad thing...and it does make me laugh that people on medicare are the largest group against it.
Why do you believe bringing up Bush will somehow help you on criticsms of Obama, especially to someone like me who opposed Bush his entire time in office.

Bush is gone Ravi.

Obama is now President, and he is WORSE then Bush was.

You still haven't admitted it, in fact you sound like the Bushbots I used to argue with during Chimp's time, only they would use 'Clinton.'

It did?

It passed his agenda?

Why do you believe bringing up Bush will somehow help you on criticsms of Obama, especially to someone like me who opposed Bush his entire time in office.

Bush is gone Ravi.

You still haven't admitted it, in fact you sound like the Bushbots I used to argue with during Chimp's time, only they would use 'Clinton.'
Forgive me, I'll never speak his name again. :lol:

I just spoke with a Laroucheite who set up shop on a corner of our town. As far as I know, they ain't from round these parts. They HATE Obama. Their sign said something about Obama KILLING GRANNY, and the literature was not just about health care, but about bailouts, and government intrusion into private lives.

The libs who are pointing fingers at the Republicans and the insurance companies, may be targeting the wrong enemy. These folks seem to have a pretty serious network.

Bush is gone Ravi.

You can say it all you want, it makes you look silly is why i brought it up.

You seem to believe saying 'bush' is a magic bullett that will slay all criticism of the horrible president we have now.

If only things were so simple.

The truth is people have been building up this anger for years, the endless waste and constant hypocrisy form both political parties and many are fed up with it.

You can keep laughing and yelling 'bush' but that won't help your guy retain power nor will it pass his agenda.

I just spoke with a Laroucheite who set up shop on a corner of our town. As far as I know, they ain't from round these parts. They HATE Obama. Their sign said something about Obama KILLING GRANNY, and the literature was not just about health care, but about bailouts, and government intrusion into private lives.

The libs who are pointing fingers at the Republicans and the insurance companies, may be targeting the wrong enemy. These folks seem to have a pretty serious network.

LaRouche ALERT, LaRouche ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you didn't give them any money or contact info, These people are major loonies.
Their motto should be 'Nut Jobs are Us'.

Bush is gone Ravi.

You can say it all you want, it makes you look silly is why i brought it up.

You seem to believe saying 'bush' is a magic bullett that will slay all criticism of the horrible president we have now.

If only things were so simple.

The truth is people have been building up this anger for years, the endless waste and constant hypocrisy form both political parties and many are fed up with it.

You can keep laughing and yelling 'bush' but that won't help your guy retain power nor will it pass his agenda.
My point was that the Republicans have coasted for years on let them eat cake. That is their party platform. Pointing out past presidents agendas is not a moot issue.

And again, I think the "anger" is manufactured bs by the Republicans and the insurance lobbyists. Most seniors on medicare today are conservatives and none of them will give up their medicare. You've got Michael Steele on national tv declaring he's going to protect medicare.

You are easily snowed, it seems, as they are.

If the economy picks up none of this will matter.

If the economy picks up it won't matter.

What I find the most amusing is that it seems to be those on medicare that are the most vocal.

The folks NOW on Medicare have for the most part been paying into Medicare since 1966. They consider it to be a "social contract", and they have honored their obligation to make those payments. Their children are now middle aged, and are concerned that their elders get their benefits, for which they've paid, and are entitled. Some might also be concerned that they'll have to step in financially or be faced with a financial/medical dilemma; this issue tracks with those two groups.

As they consider those issues they begin to consider all the other issues their government is involved in that can and will affect them, and they become increasingly alarmed, and feel they need to be listened to. Ignoring them or ridiculing them makes them more vocal and determined to get the attention of their representatives. Continue being “amused” Ravi, but it seems to be a misplaced reaction/interpretation. I suspect that reaction is shared by many clueless elitist Democrats.

Last edited:
Those on Medicare voice opposition for one really good reason, Medicare is a fine example of how fucked up our government can get with medical insurance, those on Medicare know full well what a "government" option means. It's the private portions that Bush forced us to take that have actually served our need better, while Medicare itself suffers when the government runs out of money.

Forum List

Back