Head or Heart

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Semper Fi & I have been discussing quite a few things this summer. We got around to head vs. heart decisions today. I told him that I think the head & heart have to agree. Like buying a piece of art or Jimmy Choo's (shoes). Either might speak to you saying "Buy me"! but if you can't afford the $500 then you pass it up. He says he thinks you take the info and go with the heart. Otherwise we're like robots; take the risk.
Any takers??

Regardless of the impetus for this question (don't want to upset any USMB member!), I will take a stab.

I think in certain things you follow your head and certain things you follow your heart. I know, I know. Seems like a cop out. But in all honesty, I've found that in different times in my life and in different situations both or either have served me well.

Take my decision to have a child: my head told me not to but I didn't listen. I listened to my heart. I now have the world's most wonderful 3.5 year old.

Take my decision to quit my job: my heart told me to do so but I didn't listen. Several months later (i.e., September 11th), there were extraordinary circumstances which made me happy I didn't.

So I don't think that answer is a cop out; for me, it's going to depend on the question.

I think it's both sometimes too. Then again, when the heart and the head come together, and you KNOW you are doing the right thing despite protest from others, that's a pretty powerful feeling. I tend to rely more on instinct, when I go against it, even though my brain supports it, I'm always wrong.

head. Not just cuz I'm a guy and we typically think with one of ours - but because if we are stable - secure - that stuff, our head will be in tune with our heart. And honestly, they always BOTH have to agree anyway, in the end. When we 'heart-want' something bad enough, we 'head-justify' it, and vice-versa.

When it's all said and done people are going to do what they are going to do - no sense in stressing out over decisions. The problem most ppl have is the inability to simply MAKE one, and not look back; then be prepared to handle the consequences.

:)

-=d=- said:
head. Not just cuz I'm a guy and we typically think with one of ours - but because if we are stable - secure - that stuff, our head will be in tune with our heart. And honestly, they always BOTH have to agree anyway, in the end. When we 'heart-want' something bad enough, we 'head-justify' it, and vice-versa.

When it's all said and done people are going to do what they are going to do - no sense in stressing out over decisions. The problem most ppl have is the inability to simply MAKE one, and not look back; then be prepared to handle the consequences.

:)

Think about this scenario: a man has raped your mom, your wife, your sisters, and your daughters. What would you do? I would kill them then kill them again. Not the smartest decision because you would have to face the consequences of murder. Heart simpley outweighs thought on that one. Heart and head havent agreed.

Semper Fi said:
.... Not the smartest decision because you would have to face the consequences of murder. ....

Only if you're caught.

Semper Fi said:
Think about this scenario: a man has raped your mom, your wife, your sisters, and your daughters. What would you do? I would kill them then kill them again. Not the smartest decision because you would have to face the consequences of murder. Heart simpley outweighs thought on that one. Heart and head havent agreed.

wha??

I may have missed your point, but I'll try. The question is NOT 'what DO we do' it's 'what SHOULD we do'. If somebody hurts one close to me, and I act out; striking them down, you can rest assured i've made up my mind. You are trying to find EVERY POSSIBLE situation where what I indicated in my first reply isn't accurate; I'd bet you could find circumstances where people 'didn't think', if that was important to you.

As a rule, we justify our heart actions with our head, e.g., "I killed that woman because she molested my daughter." Heart. Head. Agreement.

Semper Fi said:
Personally, my head would agree with that. I'd rather face life in prison or death by the state than live with myself being a complete wuss.

-=d=- said:
wha??

I may have missed your point, but I'll try. The question is NOT 'what DO we do' it's 'what SHOULD we do'. If somebody hurts one close to me, and I act out; striking them down, you can rest assured i've made up my mind. You are trying to find EVERY POSSIBLE situation where what I indicated in my first reply isn't accurate; I'd bet you could find circumstances where people 'didn't think', if that was important to you.

As a rule, we justify our heart actions with our head, e.g., "I killed that woman because she molested my daughter." Heart. Head. Agreement.

Logically, you should call the police, or work it out. In reality, yeah you would retaliate. I think heart plays more of a role in that one because you are acting out of love for your family members. If your brain woked more, you would most likely call the cops, or work it out, like we were taught in kindergarten. Then there are those who's mind would see this man as a dangerous criminal, and take it upon himself to subdue them (in that case, mind and heart would agree totally). At least its like that with most people.

Semper Fi said:
Logically, you should call the police, or work it out. In reality, yeah you would retaliate. I think heart plays more of a role in that one because you are acting out of love for your family members. If your brain woked more, you would most likely call the cops, or work it out, like we were taught in kindergarten. Then there are those who's mind would see this man as a dangerous criminal, and take it upon himself to subdue them (in that case, mind and heart would agree totally). At least its like that with most people.

...or they work out a logical way to kill the person, and not go to jail.

(shrug)

;)

My point is: Debating Head vs Heart is mostly useless because MOST people justify their actions (make internal justifications) of rage/passion/whatever.

-=d=- said:
...or they work out a logical way to kill the person, and not go to jail.

(shrug)

;)

My point is: Debating Head vs Heart is mostly useless because MOST people justify their actions (make internal justifications) of rage/passion/whatever.

Yeah but just because they justify it doesnt mean that their head and heart worked together. Admit it. There are times when I do something soley because my brain tells me it is the best choice. Other times my heart overweighs my logic. If your heart and brain are completely balanced, then congratulations, you're the perfect human!

Forum List

Back