He talk's to God you know!

MtnBiker said:
I wonder how someone can type with a soldier sitting on their back??

Anyway my thoughts on this thread.

still-retarded.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MtnBiker said:
I wonder how someone can type with a soldier sitting on their back??

that's his way of "supporting our troops", i.e. defaming them and lumping the many decent ones who did their duty with the few who broke the law....

BTW.... arguing on the Internet may do some good.... perhaps someone will read these threads and learn something from them.... before I started posting on these boards, I knew little about the Constitution, the whys and where fores of Roe vs. Wade and many other issues.... in a way, we are carrying on an ancient tradition started by the ancient Greeks, i.e. debating issues of the day, except now we do it across time zones instead of across a room.

KarlMarx said:
BTW.... arguing on the Internet may do some good.... perhaps someone will read these threads and learn something from them.... before I started posting on these boards, I knew little about the Constitution, the whys and where fores of Roe vs. Wade and many other issues.... in a way, we are carrying on an ancient tradition started by the ancient Greeks, i.e. debating issues of the day, except now we do it across time zones instead of across a room.

Well said! more is accomplished when done in a respectable manner.

KarlMarx said:
that's his way of "supporting our troops", i.e. defaming them and lumping the many decent ones who did their duty with the few who broke the law....

I personally find that avatar disgusting!! To me that say's a lot about a person..... :puke3:

KarlMarx said:

You're right Karl, there is a great deal to be learned on the net, the key is finding that "place" to do so..for the most part this is a great place, I for one try to ignore the AOL, Yahoo chat room mentality that drops in every so often. But I must admit, sometimes I like to slam them. :eek:

KarlMarx said:
in a way, we are carrying on an ancient tradition started by the ancient Greeks, i.e. debating issues of the day, except now we do it across time zones instead of across a room.

Yeah, maybe. But Plato, Socrates, Pythagorus and the rest were smart, whereas we are..................well............?

Nuc said:
Yeah, maybe. But Plato, Socrates, Pythagorus and the rest were smart, whereas we are..................well............?
Speak for yourself..Besides that my guess is those you mentioned were no smarter than a great many "average Joes" are today. Just a thought.

Mr. P said:
Speak for yourself..Besides that my guess is those you mentioned were no smarter than a great many "average Joes" are today. Just a thought.

Somehow I doubt they'll be teaching USMB in 2 or 3 thousand years.

KarlMarx said:
Not the USMB, but what is being discussed here, certainly will be.

I hope we will develop space technology to the point that we can colonize other planets, because this one won't be here in 2 or 3 thousand years.

MtnBiker said:
Why is that?

If not some other cataclysmic event upstaging it, global warming.

Since the anti-science forces don't want to acknowledge it, and since the solution is science, we are in deep shit.

It'll take science to colonize other planets as well. So the solution is in opposition with the problem. It's a catch 22. If humanity is going to survive we will have to overcome science phobia in space, while being assaulted by it on earth. What's the likelihood of that happening?

Nuc said:
If not some other cataclysmic event upstaging it, global warming.

Since the anti-science forces don't want to acknowledge it, and since the solution is science, we are in deep shit.

It'll take science to colonize other planets as well. So the solution is in opposition with the problem. It's a catch 22. If humanity is going to survive we will have to overcome science phobia in space, while being assaulted by it on earth. What's the likelihood of that happening?
When you consider that humanity is over 2 million years old and that we've weathered many ice ages.... the specter of global warming doesn't seem so scary.

Anyway, if you believe that humanity can't withstand global warming (which is supposed to increase the mean temperature of the Earth by only a few degrees Centigrade), why do you believe that humanity can withstand colonizing other planets, where the mean temperatures can be anywhere from several hundred degrees above zero C (as in Mercury and Venus), to several hundred below C (as in Mars and the outer planets)?

Certainly, travel to any planet outside of our solar system is currently beyond the reach of our technology and perhaps is impossible. Considering that nothing travels faster than the speed of light and that the nearest star is 4.3 Light Years away, colonization of other worlds is going to be very difficult. Even if you could find a way to travel close to the speed of light, the fact that it will take many years to get there (assuming that there is an Earth like planet nearby) makes the whole idea of colonizing other star systems very unlikely.

MtnBiker said:
Nuc, when you say that this planet will not be here in 2 or 3 thousand years, do you mean earth or humanity?

I mean Earth will not be habitable by humanity. It might still be here.

KarlMarx said:
When you consider that humanity is over 2 million years old and that we've weathered many ice ages.... the specter of global warming doesn't seem so scary.

Anyway, if you believe that humanity can't withstand global warming (which is supposed to increase the mean temperature of the Earth by only a few degrees Centigrade), why do you believe that humanity can withstand colonizing other planets, where the mean temperatures can be anywhere from several hundred degrees above zero C (as in Mercury and Venus), to several hundred below C (as in Mars and the outer planets)?

Certainly, travel to any planet outside of our solar system is currently beyond the reach of our technology and perhaps is impossible. Considering that nothing travels faster than the speed of light and that the nearest star is 4.3 Light Years away, colonization of other worlds is going to be very difficult. Even if you could find a way to travel close to the speed of light, the fact that it will take many years to get there (assuming that there is an Earth like planet nearby) makes the whole idea of colonizing other star systems very unlikely.

Regardless of whether or not we will be able to get to and/or colonize other planets, if we don't think of another option, such as a space station, humanity might not be able to survive.

MtnBiker said:
Got it, thanks. Is humanity causing the Earth's unhabitable conditions?

I can see where you're going with this. And to save you your next post, I am not a scientist, but my wife is a very high ranking scientist who has worked for the Smithsonian, AMNH, the Pentagon and NASA. Her friends and colleagues have equal credentials. They are all unanimous in thinking that global warming is caused and/or exacerbated by humanity. I'll take their word for it rather than the opinions of someone on a message board.

Nuc said:
I can see where you're going with this. And to save you your next post, I am not a scientist, but my wife is a very high ranking scientist who has worked for the Smithsonian, AMNH, the Pentagon and NASA. Her friends and colleagues have equal credentials. They are all unanimous in thinking that global warming is caused and/or exacerbated by humanity. I'll take their word for it rather than the opinions of someone on a message board.

I'm not a scientist either, I do believe that the Earth can withstand anything the human race can do to it. Perhaps in time we will make conditions impossible for us but in one form or another life will continue on Earth.

Forum List

Back