He spells out their mentality very well

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
good insight into why white southerners are the way they are

Lies I learned as a Southerner: Racism, the Confederate flag and why so many white Southerners revere a symbol of hatred

Because of this searing ordeal, Southerners had and continue to have a radically different historical narrative than the remainder of America. We have distorted our history to fit the Myth of the Lost Cause and it is this history which explains our obsession with the Civil War. Most Americans find both our narrative and our obsession with the war inexplicable

All the misinformation I absorbed seemed right to me until my early twenties when my indoctrination began to slowly melt away — although that process took ten years. Like many Southerners, as I grew older and read and studied unbiased accounts of the Civil War, I rejected the idolization of the Confederacy. Dropped out of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and admitted the truth to myself: the South started the Civil War with South Carolina leading the way.

Why did the South of our youth imbue us with such false knowledge? Because the memory of the Confederate defeat shaped Southern culture then and now

Over time we learned that after believing in Jesus Christ, our second most important moral and spiritual task was to uphold the honor of South Carolina and our native South. Be prepared to fight anyone if they insulted our heritage, most especially the Confederacy. Such insults were assaults on our honor as Southerners, something we are very touchy about.

Lies I learned as a Southerner: Racism, the Confederate flag and why so many white Southerners revere a symbol of hatred

good insight into why white southerners are the way they are

Because of this searing ordeal, Southerners had and continue to have a radically different historical narrative than the remainder of America. We have distorted our history to fit the Myth of the Lost Cause and it is this history which explains our obsession with the Civil War. Most Americans find both our narrative and our obsession with the war inexplicable

All the misinformation I absorbed seemed right to me until my early twenties when my indoctrination began to slowly melt away — although that process took ten years. Like many Southerners, as I grew older and read and studied unbiased accounts of the Civil War, I rejected the idolization of the Confederacy. Dropped out of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and admitted the truth to myself: the South started the Civil War with South Carolina leading the way.

Why did the South of our youth imbue us with such false knowledge? Because the memory of the Confederate defeat shaped Southern culture then and now

Over time we learned that after believing in Jesus Christ, our second most important moral and spiritual task was to uphold the honor of South Carolina and our native South. Be prepared to fight anyone if they insulted our heritage, most especially the Confederacy. Such insults were assaults on our honor as Southerners, something we are very touchy about.

Every time I see a new Guano thread, I can't help but think of my favorite Game of Thrones quote:

085a0fa1d47b2438313c80bf0373d59662e7bf2923d00ffe38469c83096466ff.jpg

Forum List

Back