He saved six soldiers’ lives — with a child’s toy

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
When he needed a way to help ensure his brother would come home safe from tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan, Ernie Fessenden didn’t resort to rocket science. Instead, he turned to toys.

Teaming up with local hobby store owner Kevin Guy, the Rochester, Minn., resident employed some good old-fashioned American ingenuity to solve the problem. And their simple invention, using a toy truck, has saved the lives of six soldiers.

g-tdy-110809-remote-truck2-4a.grid-8x2.jpg

He saved six soldiers

Way to go guys :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Its surprising in that the Army has been working on remote control robots for years to do this very same mission. You would think there would be more off the shelf cars deployed

Its surprising in that the Army has been working on remote control robots for years to do this very same mission. You would think there would be more off the shelf cars deployed

I'm not one bit surprised.
When I was a Staff Sergeant I was the controller on Duty of the emergency Action Communications system for 7th Corps in Germany. The Brigade Commander walked in and told me to call a lit of people he had and tell them to meet us there in the SYSCON (Systems Control).

When the LTC, Major, Captain and 2 Technicians arrived we all put our heads together and invented/ built an Fm radio Relay system. All from scratch, off the shelf parts.

My bet is it's done all the time, but we don't hear about it.........

What can you say to ignorant Americans who never served and depend on video games for their information about the Military. I smell a rat in this case. A toy that weighs less than a pound with a 6 inch clearance would hardly set off a network of trip wires designed to catch the 2 ft bumper of a Humvee.

What can you say to ignorant Americans who never served and depend on video games for their information about the Military. I smell a rat in this case. A toy that weighs less than a pound with a 6 inch clearance would hardly set off a network of trip wires designed to catch the 2 ft bumper of a Humvee.

Again you haven't a clue. Go do a tour in Afghanistan then come back and tell us all about how the trip wires would be up high enough off the ground that you would see them at bumper level.......

You hide the trip wires as close to the ground as possible so that they aren't seen and so that a tire would set it off. Not a bumper. Could even have been a small stick sticking up out of the ground where a tire might hit it.

But you know all about how a story printed by Military.com is BS.... Do share some more of your stupidity with us.

The off the shelf approach is frowned on by all Military Branch research and development. Not because the Military doesn't think it will work, but because it is not hardened or prepared for use by the military.

A toy truck may work just fine and then it may meet some obstacle that a refined military device would be prepared to defeat.

It is a GOOD thing that local units can and do use off the shelf stuff, but it is not a good thing if the Military took to buying them in mass without testing and modification.

The off the shelf approach is frowned on by all Military Branch research and development. Not because the Military doesn't think it will work, but because it is not hardened or prepared for use by the military.

A toy truck may work just fine and then it may meet some obstacle that a refined military device would be prepared to defeat.

It is a GOOD thing that local units can and do use off the shelf stuff, but it is not a good thing if the Military took to buying them in mass without testing and modification.

True, and sometimes it just doesn't work.................

Great, after half a century the Army has trip wires figured out. What's next?

Can't be thankful for the saved lives, can ya, asshole??

Fucking idiOt
:evil:
neg incoming

New Topics

Forum List

Back