He does it again

the woman is japanese
What??

Could you enlighten me with a link, because I don't see that anywhere. Unless her mother was japanese, you're wrong, because her father was italian.

And even if she were of Japanese ancestry, why bow to an American mayor? Does he bow like that to Senator Inoe? (sp)
Even though he is a rabid lib, the good senator is one I would bow too. One of the real heros of the last world war.

the woman is japanese
What??

Could you enlighten me with a link, because I don't see that anywhere. Unless her mother was japanese, you're wrong, because her father was italian.

And even if she were of Japanese ancestry, why bow to an American mayor? Does he bow like that to Senator Inoe? (sp)
Even though he is a rabid lib, the good senator is one I would bow too. One of the real heros of the last world war.

If the woman is of japanese ancestry I could understand the gesture.

People here picking this apart because the degree of bow is more than typical of asians is ridiculous.

Has anyone seen how horribly just about every president salutes? Being a former military member, it actually embarrasses me that presidents don't perfect that.

And Bush planted his lips on the lips of the saudi king and walked holding hands with him.

This was not all that long after Saudi men highjacked planes and flew them into the WTC towers.

Are you implying 'this woman' will use her influence to set terrorists in motion now?

You really do posess a convoluted logic pattern dont you?

Im saying this is all false outrage from a pack of people who dont really care about anything but being partisans seeing their guy planted one on the lips of a saudi King and thought that was fine and defended it.

This is Pam:

400px-Mayor_Pam_Iorio.JPG

Pam Iorio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why is he bowing to her? She is not asian. Her parents are italian from what I can gather.

http://moxywomen.com/article.php?id=38

Last edited:
the woman is japanese
What??

she looks japanese to me in that first pic, guess I was wrong. But the other thing is that he just bent down to look at something and wasn't bowing at all. doesn't matter, anything obama does the partisans will complain about

We are not ruled in the USA, he "represents" the USA in his duties .
and he"S going a good job of representing this country by showing other cultures respect.

Sad the same can't be said for some of you here, and people wonder why many in the world have a stereotype of americans being arrogant.

You do realize that this woman is the Mayor of Tampa. Tampa, Florida. Florida of the U.S. of A. :cuckoo:

I didn't as it wasn't clear from the post, but in general my point still stands as how many times people go nuts over him bowing to saudis or to japanese, which is relevant to this thread "he did it again"

the woman is japanese
What??

she looks japanese to me in that first pic, guess I was wrong. But the other thing is that he just bent down to look at something and wasn't bowing at all. doesn't matter, anything obama does the partisans will complain about

The president just happened to bend down and look at something at the very moment he was shaking the woman's hand? I seriously doubt someone as socially honed as Obama is would commit such a faux pas of etiquette, knowing full well the cameras are on him.

This being said though, I don't have as much of an issue with it as the rest of the righties in here. I'm more concerned about how horribly most presidents salute.

I'm not going to believe this until I see the video. It's too easy to take a picture of say him looking down, bending down, or anything as such and turn it into something else.

Looks can be deceiving.

People here picking this apart because the degree of bow is more than typical of asians is ridiculous.

Has anyone seen how horribly just about every president salutes? Being a former military member, it actually embarrasses me that presidents don't perfect that.

Agreed. Though I'm not a former military member, I just don't get why they're not any good at it.

Agreed. Though I'm not a former military member, I just don't get why they're not any good at it.

It's not even close to being difficult. Obama does seem to have a pretty nice snap to his salute though. WAY better than Bush's was.

But still not within military customs. I would expect presidents to perfect it, being as how it takes about 5 minutes of practice and represents the utmost in respect among military members. He is of course the highest ranking military official, being the CinC.

It's not even close to being difficult. Obama does seem to have a pretty nice snap to his salute though. WAY better than Bush's was.

But still not within military customs. I would expect presidents to perfect it, being as how it takes about 5 minutes of practice and represents the utmost in respect among military members. He is of course the highest ranking military official, being the CinC.

Or use the internet:

How to Salute | eHow.com

:eusa_whistle:

Or use the internet:

How to Salute | eHow.com

:eusa_whistle:

Tilting the hand slighly so that the back of it faces outward a bit is definitely something almost EVERYONE fucks up.

The rest, which your link doesn't say, is that the portion of the arm from shoulder to elbow should be perfectly parallel to the ground, and from the elbow to the fingertips the arm should be at a 45 degree angle.

If the elbow is slouching, or the hand is not facing outward a bit, it's a really ugly salute, and to me, is not only lazy but disrespectful.

What??

If you are trying to respect the culture, you should at the very least try and fit in the cultural norm. Doing it in such a way that it shows you know less than nothing about the culture seems to me to be deliberately dissing them by satire

If you are trying to respect the culture, you should at the very least try and fit in the cultural norm. Doing it in such a way that it shows you know less than nothing about the culture seems to me to be deliberately dissing them by satire

And just about every president that can't properly perform a salute, which is THEIR OWN culture, being that they are CinC?

Here's Obama:

obama%20boards%20marine%20one%20with%20salute.jpg

Notice the hand slightly cupped, so to speak, and the elbow sagging? That's better than most presidents I've seen, but still bad form.

Here's Bush:

bush_w_salute.jpg

Head tilted, fingers not even touching the brow, elbow really sagging low. It's like a fucking cartoon. The guy is the most senior military official, at the very least he should present arms properly.

Here's Reagan:

529zge32.jpg

That's just sad.

Here's Clinton:

CLINTON_SALUTE.jpg

Fingertips way off the brow, hand not straight.

Sorry, but this concerns me more than screwing up some OTHER culture's show of respect.

Yeah, he should hold his hand and walk along with stars in his eyes. like your hero W did with the Saudi.

The President is not liked by a lot of ppl in this country and this is just one of the many opportunities to try and show that he is less of the person who should have been elected to his office. I for one could care less if he bowed or stooped...it's irrevelant. At the same time, President Obama is going to be made fun of, lied on, accused of, and whatever else throughout his Presidency so what difference does it make. It's not going to stop!!:eusa_whistle:

Tilting the hand slighly so that the back of it faces outward a bit is definitely something almost EVERYONE fucks up.

The rest, which your link doesn't say, is that the portion of the arm from shoulder to elbow should be perfectly parallel to the ground, and from the elbow to the fingertips the arm should be at a 45 degree angle.

If the elbow is slouching, or the hand is not facing outward a bit, it's a really ugly salute, and to me, is not only lazy but disrespectful.

Paulie, when I went through Basic Military Training, one of the first things I learned is that military personnel can and do salute differently, especially--in a negative context--when the forearm and elbow are perfect, but the hand is bent and looks horrible or the palm is noticeable. This tends to be what I see from time-to-time.

My salute, when I bring my fist across my midsection, have my palm straight and facing towards me, and have my middle finger in the appropriate location, tends to have a slight sagging in my elbow. I've practiced it quite a bit, and that's just how it is.... As with many things in Basic Military Training, my MTI (Military Training Instructor) would correct it once, and then after realizing that that is just how my elbow was, would leave it alone. The same would go for other MTIs as well...

When I graduated, I was a bit self-conscious about it, and when I brought it up to my father (who served years ago), he also remarked that many of the military personnel--including the MTIs--had different saluting styles, and that I shouldn't overanalyze it. Officers would just appreciate the sentiment.

To this day, when I salute an officer, I have not been corrected, nor have I been accused of being "lazy" or "disrespectful," which I most certainly am NOT.

In the future, I hope you will remember this before you ignorantly judge another military member as being "lazy" or "disrespectful" for having a slightly sagging elbow. I noticed that you did not critique the Master Sergeant/E-7 next to President Bush for having a slightly sagging elbow. When you are in full service dress, try to touch your elbow to your back.... when the tailor laughs at you for being an idiot and ripping your uniform, remember this post. Thanks....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back