HBO's 'Watchmen' recreates the 1921 Tulsa race massacre, exposing viewers to an ugly chapter

Have you heard of the Tulsa Race Riot? (Greenwood OK AKA the Black Wall Street)

• Yes and I'm African American

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Yes and I'm not African American

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No and I'm African American

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No and I'm not African American

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
There are Twitter comments embedded in this new article which mention details I never new about the Tulsa "Race Riot" aside from the commentary about how classifying it as a race riot instead of an act of domestic terrorism makes it sound as if this was something caused by the blacks or that they brought upon themselves. I was confounded to read that the white mob looted the black banks and the insurance companies refused to cover their losses. They also mention the airborn acts via planes.

The facts of the Tulsa massacre appeared to have been unknown to many "Watchmen" viewers, who expressed their disbelief on social media.

191021-hbo-watchmen-mn-1035_e33b9d3c329b71db67e563ef374822f0.fit-760w.jpg

Dajour Ashwood, Steven Norfleet and Alexis Louder in a scene from "Watchmen."Mark Hill / HBO

Oct. 21, 2019, 8:57 AM PDT

By Daniel Arkin

The premiere of HBO's "Watchmen" was packed with allusions to the dense mythology of the landmark 1980s graphic novel that inspired it, thrilling fans and newcomers alike. But a solemn nod to a real-world event appears to have left the greatest impression on viewers.

The pilot episode opened with a stylized, searing recreation of the Tulsa race massacre of 1921, a two-day explosion of violence in which white Oklahomans killed hundreds of African-Americans and burned businesses in a prosperous district known as "Black Wall Street." The bloody attack is considered "the single worst incident of racial violence in American history," according to the Oklahoma Historical Society.

The facts of the Tulsa massacre — bullets flying, buildings aflame — appeared to have been unknown to many "Watchmen" viewers who expressed their disbelief on social media. Some said they were appalled to first learn of the event through a superhero-themed television show, while others blamed the country's educational system for failing to highlight it in history curricula.

The attack, coming amid the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan and racial terror through much of the country, was not widely reported at the time. "News reports were largely squelched, despite the fact that hundreds of people were killed and thousands left homeless," History.com says in an overview of the violent siege.

The unsettling recreation of the Tulsa massacre helped set the tone for the "Watchmen" series, which has been described by creator Damon Lindelof ("Lost," "The Leftovers") as an ambitious "remix" of the celebrated 12-part comic series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

The original comic confronted the Cold War and the specter of nuclear annihilation. But the provocative new series, set 30 years after the events of the original, is expected to tackle racism and white supremacy, centering on an American-African woman (Regina King's Sister Night) living in an alternate — but painfully familiar — version of recent American history.

Opinion | "Watchmen" is one of the year’s most fascinating entertainment experiments

American history is replete with ugly chapters, as is the history of every nation ever conceived.

The trick to civilization is not to let those chapters define who you are, but to continually learn from, and not repeat them in the future.

American history is replete with ugly chapters, as is the history of every nation ever conceived.

The trick to civilization is not to let those chapters define who you are, but to continually learn from, and not repeat them in the future.
Problem is that rehashing those incidents creates great opportunity for marxists to give the impression that they’re recent and thereby help usurp the culture.

There are Twitter comments embedded in this new article which mention details I never new about the Tulsa "Race Riot" aside from the commentary about how classifying it as a race riot instead of an act of domestic terrorism makes it sound as if this was something caused by the blacks or that they brought upon themselves. I was confounded to read that the white mob looted the black banks and the insurance companies refused to cover their losses. They also mention the airborn acts via planes.

The facts of the Tulsa massacre appeared to have been unknown to many "Watchmen" viewers, who expressed their disbelief on social media.

191021-hbo-watchmen-mn-1035_e33b9d3c329b71db67e563ef374822f0.fit-760w.jpg

Dajour Ashwood, Steven Norfleet and Alexis Louder in a scene from "Watchmen."Mark Hill / HBO

Oct. 21, 2019, 8:57 AM PDT

By Daniel Arkin

The premiere of HBO's "Watchmen" was packed with allusions to the dense mythology of the landmark 1980s graphic novel that inspired it, thrilling fans and newcomers alike. But a solemn nod to a real-world event appears to have left the greatest impression on viewers.

The pilot episode opened with a stylized, searing recreation of the Tulsa race massacre of 1921, a two-day explosion of violence in which white Oklahomans killed hundreds of African-Americans and burned businesses in a prosperous district known as "Black Wall Street." The bloody attack is considered "the single worst incident of racial violence in American history," according to the Oklahoma Historical Society.

The facts of the Tulsa massacre — bullets flying, buildings aflame — appeared to have been unknown to many "Watchmen" viewers who expressed their disbelief on social media. Some said they were appalled to first learn of the event through a superhero-themed television show, while others blamed the country's educational system for failing to highlight it in history curricula.

The attack, coming amid the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan and racial terror through much of the country, was not widely reported at the time. "News reports were largely squelched, despite the fact that hundreds of people were killed and thousands left homeless," History.com says in an overview of the violent siege.

The unsettling recreation of the Tulsa massacre helped set the tone for the "Watchmen" series, which has been described by creator Damon Lindelof ("Lost," "The Leftovers") as an ambitious "remix" of the celebrated 12-part comic series by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

The original comic confronted the Cold War and the specter of nuclear annihilation. But the provocative new series, set 30 years after the events of the original, is expected to tackle racism and white supremacy, centering on an American-African woman (Regina King's Sister Night) living in an alternate — but painfully familiar — version of recent American history.

Opinion | "Watchmen" is one of the year’s most fascinating entertainment experiments

That would have been the wrong time period to classify it as domestic terrorism. Contrary to popular belief there is nothing that indicates that African Americans were at fault in any way by calling it a race riot. The KKK infested the state in 1920. Jack Walton put parts of the state under martial law. He was impeached.
STRICT MARTIAL LAW LIFTED

If you go back and read the newspapers there are front page articles where Col. Markham is telling the Klan--we will find you and you will leave.

It's not hidden information. It's starting to look like every generation figures out it happened and it's a new thing all over again.

They are looking for the mass graves
Crews nearing end in search for mass graves from Tulsa Race Massacre

Problem is that rehashing those incidents creates great opportunity for marxists to give the impression that they’re recent and thereby help usurp the culture.
So its best to pretend it never happened? foh

Obviously the best course of action would be to move the fuck on already and stop wallowing in it but nah

Lots of good info on thhttps://www.britannica.com/event/Tulsa-race-riot-of-1921e 21 Tulsa riot.

https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

1921 Tulsa Race Massacre - Tulsa Historical Society & Museum

Lots of other sites on the 21 riots.

I investigated this a couple of years ago. I was reading a book called Cold Blue and they mentioned the 21 riot in it and I wanted to see if it really was a riot or just fiction for the book.

Boy was I surprised. It was an actual riot in which many were killed and parts of the city, Greenwood, were destroyed.

This sets the tone for the entire Watchmen series. It intends to take the whites are evil blacks are good mythos as far as it can. I changed the channel midway through the riot scene. I did read that the producer thinks he can use this to force whites to examine white guilt. This did not make the list of must see.

Best to give already crazy blacks another excuse to kill elderly whites.

That is nothing compared to the slaughter of Blacks among themselves in the Democrat controlled inner city shitholes of this country.

I like the original Watchmen. However, I heard this filthy ass HBO series was going to be a "hate Whitey" piece of Libtard Hollywood shit so I passed on watching..

No. Just make sure that half the program includes the civil rights movement, welfare, democrat neosegregation and ghetto culture that has prevailed because of that.

I like the original Watchmen. However, I heard this filthy ass HBO series was going to be a "hate Whitey" piece of Libtard Hollywood shit so I passed on watching..

The 'original Watchman' is a comic book series from the '80s by Alan Moore.

Watchmen%2C_issue_1.jpg

Obviously the best course of action would be to move the fuck on already and stop wallowing in it but nah
Wallowing?? 99 out a hundred Americans never heard of the event...you call that wallowing? Or are you upset that it has been brought to light in a way that makes the fact that it happened a bit more known? Hell..I'd bet a C note that most of the 'yes' votes in the poll by Non-African Americans are lies.

But not to worry..we'll rant about it for a few days..and then it will be buried again.

Wallowing indeed.

The 'original Watchman' is a comic book series from the '80s by Alan Moore.

Watchmen%2C_issue_1.jpg

I liked that movie. It was treated unfairly by the same critics who have nothing but good things to say about every damn marvel movie.

Nope..not hate whitey..hate racist White Supremacists--yeah, probably..but that's a GOOD thing.

Wallowing?? 99 out a hundred Americans never heard of the event...you call that wallowing? Or are you upset that it has been brought to light in a way that makes the fact that it happened a bit more known? Hell..I'd bet a C note that most of the 'yes' votes in the poll by Non-African Americans are lies.

But not to worry..we'll rant about it for a few days..and then it will be buried again.

Wallowing indeed.
Its mostly an unproven conspiracy theory. I laughed when i saw US warplanes bombing Tulsa in episode 1. Never happened and there is no proof that it did. Ive also seen plenty of sources with ridiculously inflated numbers of deaths.

Wallowing indeed.

for a couple decades at least the entire western world has been self destructing in atonement for stuff that happened before any of us were even born.

In 1943, Los Angles was torn apart by rioting between Hispanic youths and GI's that has been named "The Zoot Suit Riots".

No deaths reported but over 150 injuries.

That sad chapter was made into a comedy bit by Steven Spielberg for his not so successful film, "1941".

1941.jpg

Depicting racial tensions in the name of entertainment isn't always a good thing.

Wallowing indeed.
Its mostly an unproven conspiracy theory. I laughed when i saw US warplanes bombing Tulsa in episode 1. Never happened and there is no proof that it did. Ive also seen plenty of sources with ridiculously inflated numbers of deaths.

Tulsa race riot - Wikipedia
Oklahoma Bombing: Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 - InfoBarrel

As far as I've been able to discover..you are right..no US airplanes bombed Tulsa..however..a number of privately owned planes did fire-bomb and strafe black citizens...this has been confirmed by numerous accounts. There is some debate as to whether or not high explosives were used, (nitroglycerin). As for the show's depiction of the event..it is fiction, after all, right?

Attack by air
"Numerous eyewitnesses described airplanes carrying white assailants, who fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes, and fleeing families. The privately owned aircraft were dispatched from the nearby Curtiss-Southwest Field outside Tulsa.[45]

Law enforcement officials later said that the planes were to provide reconnaissance and protect against a "Negro uprising".[45] Law enforcement personnel were thought to be aboard at least some flights.[1][page needed] Eyewitness accounts, such as testimony from the survivors during Commission hearings and a manuscript by eyewitness and attorney Buck Colbert Franklin discovered in 2015, said that on the morning of June 1, at least "a dozen or more" planes circled the neighborhood and dropped "burning turpentine balls" on an office building, a hotel, a filling station, and multiple other buildings. Men also fired rifles at young and old black residents, gunning them down in the street.[45][7]

Richard S. Warner concluded in his submission to The Oklahoma Commission that contrary to later reports by claimed eyewitnesses of seeing explosions, there was no reliable evidence to support such attacks.[1]:107 Warner noted that while a number of newspapers targeted at black readers heavily reported the use of nitroglycerin, turpentine and rifles from the planes, many cited anonymous sources or second-hand accounts.[1]:107 Beryl Ford, one of the preeminent historians of the disaster, concluded from her large collection of photographs that there was no evidence of any building damaged by explosions.[1]:106 Danney Goble commended Warner on his efforts and supported his conclusions.[1]:6 State representative Don Ross (born in Tulsa in 1941), however, dissented from the evidence presented in the report concluding that bombs were in fact dropped from planes during the violence.[1]:prologue;viii

William Joseph Simmons, Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, was appointed head of The Knights of the Air on May 20, 1921. The organization was described as a fraternal organization for former air force officers. A spokesperson for the organization publicly denounced the Ku Klux Klan and denied any connection.[46]"

Forum List

Back