Hayrack window boxes

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
hey gardeners!

This spring I bought four hayrack style window boxes. I filled them with potting soil and planted annuals. Question is: when the annuals die this autumn, should I remove the soil from the coco liners or just pull the dead plants out and put the whole deal in the basement for winter?

How many seasons can I expect to get from the coco liners before they should be replaced? How will I know it's time for new liners?

Remove the dead plants and recharge the potting soil next year.

The coco liners will fall apart over time.

Mulch them when they do.

hey gardeners!

This spring I bought four hayrack style window boxes. I filled them with potting soil and planted annuals. Question is: when the annuals die this autumn, should I remove the soil from the coco liners or just pull the dead plants out and put the whole deal in the basement for winter?

How many seasons can I expect to get from the coco liners before they should be replaced? How will I know it's time for new liners?

Pull everything out. Leaving the soil in will hasten the rotting.

When I hear the words "window box" I always think of this album:

ToledoWindowBox.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hey gardeners!

I did not consider how leaving the soil in the liner would hasten its rotting. good tip!

hey gardeners!

I did not consider how leaving the soil in the liner would hasten its rotting. good tip!

You can also buy replacement liners when they go. Although you should get quite a few years out of them. Here is a source I have used, but there are many

Well I tried to post a link but a message tells me I am not allowed to. :cuckoo:

gardenharvestsupply.com/category/coco-fiber-liners-basket-liners Now just add the http in front of it :lol:

You can also buy replacement liners when they go. Although you should get quite a few years out of them. Here is a source I have used, but there are many

Well I tried to post a link but a message tells me I am not allowed to. :cuckoo:

gardenharvestsupply.com/category/coco-fiber-liners-basket-liners Now just add the http in front of it :lol:

Thanks!

If you put the full planters in a dry place for the winter, they shouldn't rot. Although, it wouldn't hurt to dump the soil before storage.

It's always a good habit to remove dead plants at the end of each year, no matter if they're in containers, or the ground.

Different insects are attracted to different plants, and they'll lay eggs in the soil or on the leaves toward the end of the season. As well, there are a varitey of diseases/fungi that you will be removing when you discard the plants.

When I leave my coco planters out, the birds use the fibers for nesting in the spring. I've already hung the spent planters in the trees, and they don't last very long once the birds find them.

As was already suggested...you can replenish the soil next year, by dumping the planters into a wheel barrow, and mixing the soil with some fresh growing medium.

Forum List

Back