Hawking says physics proves there is no time for "Gawd".

Late, I know, but it is interesting that the thread title claiming 'Hawking says physics proves' when, in fact, Hawking said nothing of that sort whatsoever....

Outright lie, physics can never prove or disprove God, physics has nothing to do with God whatsoever.

Hawking not only HAS been wrong in his "math" but has also acknowledged his errors.

The other day I was referring the book [1] of Stephen Hawking to note his observation on the second law of thermodynamics. The copy is a new one and I had to work through to locate that observation. While doing so I had another opportunity to see how he thinks. Stephen Hawking is described by Daily Express " One of the brilliant scientific minds since Einstein". Hawking initially thought that collapsing phase of the universe looked like the time reverse of the expanding phase. He writes ," I realized that I had made a mistake:…… ".
-- To err is human : dmrsekhar blogs on sulekha, Personal blogs, dmrsekhar blog from india

Great. Show me the math you claim to have looked at.

If you have access to physics journals just look up his papers on black holes, the math is not new, all that is new is his claim that it disproves God.

Which one of the papers claims that black holes disprove God? Does that paper have a title or is it just a generic paper that can never actually be referenced or read?

Like who?

Like his students, editors, and everyone else that does things like that for people like him.

Do any of them have names? Which ones checked the math in question - the math you refuse to show me?

You implied that I did.

Just because you infer doesn't mean I implied.

Pointing out that Hawking has never been wrong when he is talking about his math is evidence of his credibility, not a lack of evidence of anything.
How do you know he's never been wrong? You've checked all his math?

Because you can't tell me why the area of a circle is equal to the square on a line equal to the quadrant of the circumference.

So that's why the math we're talking about can't actually be inspected? Interesting.
I thought you said you already read Einstein's general theory of relativity.
There are hundreds of papers written on the subject. which one are you talking about?

In fact, I recall once pointing out that it wasn't about what you think it is. If you haven't I can provide a link, but it does lead me to wonder what you were doing trying to argue about something you haven't read.

A link to what? You claimed GR only allows for a collapsing universe. I'm asking you to show me how that's true. I'm guessing your only answer is another fallacious appeal authority.[
Get back to me after you read Einstein's work
How come I have to read it but you don't?
If I recall correctly, inflation was first proposed in the early 1980s to explain the homogenous appearance of the universe. I definitely recall a problem with monopoles and inflation. Not sure what any of that has to do with the cosmological constant though, want to clue me in on what you think it is?

See paragraph at bottom of page 11
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...g43TCQ&usg=AFQjCNEYgdRFCGu31W8S5DcPcZ6Qqqyj7A

Last edited:
Hawking not only HAS been wrong in his "math" but has also acknowledged his errors.

The other day I was referring the book [1] of Stephen Hawking to note his observation on the second law of thermodynamics. The copy is a new one and I had to work through to locate that observation. While doing so I had another opportunity to see how he thinks. Stephen Hawking is described by Daily Express " One of the brilliant scientific minds since Einstein". Hawking initially thought that collapsing phase of the universe looked like the time reverse of the expanding phase. He writes ," I realized that I had made a mistake:…… ".
-- To err is human : dmrsekhar blogs on sulekha, Personal blogs, dmrsekhar blog from india

Which is why I specifically said Hawking has never been wrong about what his math says.

Late, I know, but it is interesting that the thread title claiming 'Hawking says physics proves' when, in fact, Hawking said nothing of that sort whatsoever....

Outright lie, physics can never prove or disprove God, physics has nothing to do with God whatsoever.

Logic is not an option when rdean starts a thread.

Which one of the papers claims that black holes disprove God? Does that paper have a title or is it just a generic paper that can never actually be referenced or read?

I used to think you practiced being stupid, now I know it comes naturally.

Do any of them have names? Which ones checked the math in question - the math you refuse to show me?

How is pointing out that his math on black holes has pretty much always shown that time collapses inside them not showing you something? If you actually study cosmology you have access to the journals that publish Hawking's papers, If you don't feel free to admit you lied and we can proceed from there.

Just because you infer doesn't mean I implied.

That was almost witty.

How do you know he's never been wrong? You've checked all his math?

Gee, where did I say he has never made a math mistake?

So that's why the math we're talking about can't actually be inspected? Interesting.

No, that is why I won't go through it for you. If you got past Euclidean geometry in school you would have realized that I just said that pi is equal to 4 and called me on it.

:eusa_whistle:

There are hundreds of papers written on the subject. which one are you talking about?

I refer you to Einstein's theory of relativity and you wonder which paper I am talking about? Did he publish it hundreds of times?

A link to what? You claimed GR only allows for a collapsing universe. I'm asking you to show me how that's true. I'm guessing your only answer is another fallacious appeal authority.

I said Einstein's theory only allows a collapsing universe? When? Where?

Do you, or do you not, need a link to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity? You are the one that claims to be a student of cosmology, i would think you would have a copy in your personal library.

I do.

How come I have to read it but you don't?

Because I am not the one asking which paper I am referring to when I point out what it said.

Is there something in there about when inflation was first introduced I missed? I did notice that Part IV starting on page 17 talks about the monopole problem.

Which is why I specifically said Hawking has never been wrong about what his math says.

To correct one's self, one must have been wrong in the first place.

So your suggestion kind of defies logic.

I trust Hawking when he says that the math, as he currently understands it, shows that time does not exist in a black hole. That does not make his math right, it just means I trust him to understand the math as it currently applies to the universe.

I trust Hawking when he says that the math, as he currently understands it, shows that time does not exist in a black hole. That does not make his math right, it just means I trust him to understand the math he does.

That's not what you had said. YOU had said he doesn't make mathematical mistakes.

He had to have made a mistake if he found it necessary to offer a correction.

And his understanding of the math is clearly more likely to be right than yours or mine. By far. But that does not make him infallible. I mean, it's not like he's the Pope. :cool:

I trust Hawking when he says that the math, as he currently understands it, shows that time does not exist in a black hole. That does not make his math right, it just means I trust him to understand the math he does.

That's not what you had said. YOU had said he doesn't make mathematical mistakes.

I don't think I did, if I did I misstated the point.*

And his understanding of the math is clearly more likely to be right than yours or mine. By far. But that does not make him infallible. I mean, it's not like he's the Pope. :cool:

This is what I am trusting in. I will also point out that, even if his math is right, it doesn't actually prove that God could not have existed before the big bang.

*I am quite willing to admit I am wrong if you insist on digging up a post where I said Hawking does not make mistakes in math. I am not going to insist I didn't say it so feel free to take this qualified admission of my mistake in lieu of actually digging up my post. :cool:

I don't think I did, if I did I misstated the point.*

This is what I am trusting in. I will also point out that, even if his math is right, it doesn't actually prove that God could not have existed before the big bang.

*I am quite willing to admit I am wrong if you insist on digging up a post where I said Hawking does not make mistakes in math. I am not going to insist I didn't say it so feel free to take this qualified admission of my mistake in lieu of actually digging up my post. :cool:

I am not going digging either. If I was wrong, well then: up mine!

:D

Forum List

Back