Hawaiin mega-tsumami

And I live in one of the two cities on the mainland that has an active volcano in it's city limits. Yes, I would like to be warned in advance if there was a problem developing there.

I live just 200 miles to the East of you, I know full well that Mt. Hood is NOT currently active as the LAST eruptive event was in 1907. It is also 54 Air miles to the EAST of Portland which prevailing winds from the southwest carry away the gases to the NE.

There is very little danger to you, stop the drama Queen bullcrap!

By the way you LIED over Mt. Tabor that is within your city limits is a long EXTINCT Volcano.
Dumb fuck, that is not the volcano that I referenced. Mt. Hood is not in the city limits of Portland. And the other city in the mainland that has an active volcano within it's city limits is also in Oregon.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

How did you miss this?

" ...It is also 54 Air miles to the EAST of Portland...."

and this from the post you quoted.

"By the way you LIED over Mt. Tabor that is within your city limits is a long EXTINCT Volcano."

Here is YOUR lie, which you still haven't backed up with evidence:

"And I live in one of the two cities on the mainland that has an active volcano in it's city limits."

You claimed it was active, I showed that it has been EXTINCT for 300,000 years.

You are truly laughable.

And I live in one of the two cities on the mainland that has an active volcano in it's city limits. Yes, I would like to be warned in advance if there was a problem developing there.

I live just 200 miles to the East of you, I know full well that Mt. Hood is NOT currently active as the LAST eruptive event was in 1907. It is also 54 Air miles to the EAST of Portland which prevailing winds from the southwest carry away the gases to the NE.

There is very little danger to you, stop the drama Queen bullcrap!

By the way you LIED over Mt. Tabor that is within your city limits is a long EXTINCT Volcano.
Dumb fuck, that is not the volcano that I referenced. Mt. Hood is not in the city limits of Portland. And the other city in the mainland that has an active volcano within it's city limits is also in Oregon.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

How did you miss this?

" ...It is also 54 Air miles to the EAST of Portland...."

and this from the post you quoted.

"By the way you LIED over Mt. Tabor that is within your city limits is a long EXTINCT Volcano."

Here is YOUR lie, which you still haven't backed up with evidence:

"And I live in one of the two cities on the mainland that has an active volcano in it's city limits."

You claimed it was active, I showed that it has been EXTINCT for 300,000 years.

You are truly laughable.
Dormant, not extinct.

Mt. Tabor's Volcanic History

The last known eruption in this group was 50K, and that is recent in geological time. More information on the why of this volcanics.

Volcanoes to Vineyards

Would a tsunami from the Hawaiin Islands affect Portland? Well, the water front at Portland is only 20 ft above sea level, so there would be a tidal bore up the Columbia, and that would damage parts of Portland.

Would a tsunami from the Hawaiin Islands affect Portland? Well, the water front at Portland is only 20 ft above sea level, so there would be a tidal bore up the Columbia, and that would damage parts of Portland.

That is actually a highly unlikely scenario. There are miles of turns in the river before you ever get to Portland. The energy from the tidal bore would be dissipated along the river edges.

Hazards geologist: tsunami waves generally don't travel far up rivers
Well, I hope that you and these geologists are correct. Of course, a mega-tsunami would be larger than the subduction tsunami.

It's all about energy dissipation. The more corners in a river the Bore has to navigate, the less energy it has to to do damage further up the river. Think of the corners in the river as a crumple zone in a car. Modern cars are designed to collapse in a collision, those crumple zones dissipate the energy and that in turn prevents damage to the passenger cell. Simple physics.

So long as the waves don't act like a soliton.

Soliton - Wikipedia

History[edit]
In 1834, John Scott Russell describes his wave of translation.[nb 1] The discovery is described here in Scott Russell's own words:[nb 2]

I was observing the motion of a boat which was rapidly drawn along a narrow channel by a pair of horses, when the boat suddenly stopped – not so the mass of water in the channel which it had put in motion; it accumulated round the prow of the vessel in a state of violent agitation, then suddenly leaving it behind, rolled forward with great velocity, assuming the form of a large solitary elevation, a rounded, smooth and well-defined heap of water, which continued its course along the channel apparently without change of form or diminution of speed. I followed it on horseback, and overtook it still rolling on at a rate of some eight or nine miles an hour, preserving its original figure some thirty feet long and a foot to a foot and a half in height. Its height gradually diminished, and after a chase of one or two miles I lost it in the windings of the channel. Such, in the month of August 1834, was my first chance interview with that singular and beautiful phenomenon which I have called the Wave of Translation.[2]

Scott Russell spent some time making practical and theoretical investigations of these waves. He built wave tanks at his home and noticed some key properties:

• The waves are stable, and can travel over very large distances (normal waves would tend to either flatten out, or steepen and topple over)
  • The speed depends on the size of the wave, and its width on the depth of water.
  • Unlike normal waves they will never merge – so a small wave is overtaken by a large one, rather than the two combining.
  • If a wave is too big for the depth of water, it splits into two, one big and one small.
Scott Russell's experimental work seemed at odds with Isaac Newton's and Daniel Bernoulli's theories of hydrodynamics. George Biddell Airy and George Gabriel Stokes had difficulty accepting Scott Russell's experimental observations because they could not be explained by the existing water wave theories. Their contemporaries spent some time attempting to extend the theory but it would take until the 1870s before Joseph Boussinesq and Lord Rayleigh published a theoretical treatment and solutions.[nb 3] In 1895 Diederik Korteweg and Gustav de Vries provided what is now known as the Korteweg–de Vries equation, including solitary wave and periodic cnoidal wave solutions.[3][nb 4]

An animation of the overtaking of two solitary waves according to the Benjamin–Bona–Mahony equation – or BBM equation, a model equation for (among others) long surface gravity waves. The wave heights of the solitary waves are 1.2 and 0.6, respectively, and their velocities are 1.4 and 1.2.
The upper graph is for a frame of reference moving with the average velocity of the solitary waves.
The lower graph (with a different vertical scale and in a stationary frame of reference) shows the oscillatory tail produced by the interaction.[4] Thus, the solitary wave solutions of the BBM equation are not solitons.
In 1965 Norman Zabusky of Bell Labs and Martin Kruskal of Princeton University first demonstrated soliton behavior in media subject to the Korteweg–de Vries equation (KdV equation) in a computational investigation using a finite difference approach. They also showed how this behavior explained the puzzling earlier work of Fermi, Pasta, Ulam, and Tsingou.[5]

In 1967, Gardner, Greene, Kruskal and Miura discovered an inverse scattering transform enabling analytical solution of the KdV equation.[6] The work of Peter Lax on Lax pairs and the Lax equation has since extended this to solution of many related soliton-generating systems.

Note that solitons are, by definition, unaltered in shape and speed by a collision with other solitons.[7] So solitary waves on a water surface are near-solitons, but not exactly – after the interaction of two (colliding or overtaking) solitary waves, they have changed a bit in amplitude and an oscillatory residual is left behind.[8]

Solitons are also studied in quantum mechanics, thanks to the fact that they could provide a new foundation of it through de Broglie's unfinished program, known as "Double solution theory" or "Nonlinear wave mechanics". This theory, developed by de Broglie in 1927 and revived in the 1950s, is the natural continuation of his ideas developed between 1923 and 1926, which extended the wave-particle duality introduced by Einstein for the light quanta, to all the particles of matter.

Don't know if this would happen, but should it happen, it would change the whole picture. Maybe some model testing is in order.

Forum List

Back