Hawaiin mega-tsumami

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
While the present eruptions are negatively affecting a lot of people, there is a result that would be the worst disaster in recorded history. Not likely at this time, but it will eventually happen.

Well, if I were interested in going to Hawaii, yes, I would be. Same as visiting Yellowstone. Things will happen in both places that will be catastrophic, but probably not in a time frame that would affect me or my great-great-great-grandchildren.

Well, if I were interested in going to Hawaii, yes, I would be. Same as visiting Yellowstone. Things will happen in both places that will be catastrophic, but probably not in a time frame that would affect me or my great-great-great-grandchildren.

It's gambling really. Do you want to die the day it happens or a month later?

It's gambling really. Do you want to die the day it happens or a month later?
If you are talking about the mega-tsunami, then if you survive the first day, you are ok. Yellowstone? Ouch!

Dang.... I thought I read recently that that was a possibility.... part of that whole island just falling into the sea and causing a huge wave. Wouldn't that proceed hundreds of miles inland?

I'm astonished that there aren't at least a couple hundred protesters marching around the volcano to stop the environmental impact and the spewing of toxic gasses into the atmosphere.

The Hawaii legislature should pass a bill declaring the Island a Lava Free Zone.

I'm astonished that there aren't at least a couple hundred protesters marching around the volcano to stop the environmental impact and the spewing of toxic gasses into the atmosphere.
I am constantly astonished at the stupidity that people like you post. The situation in Hawai is quite serious for the people that live there, and, sometime, probably not soon, will be very serious for a lot of other people.

I am constantly astonished at the stupidity that people like you post. The situation in Hawai is quite serious for the people that live there, and, sometime, probably not soon, will be very serious for a lot of other people.
What's stupid is building your home next to a volcano.

I wonder how far inland a 100 foot wave would travel inland? Say coastal California? Wooooo doggie!
Not far....land rises with the coastal mtns rather quickly...tho the beach cities will get it. We live about 8 miles inland as the crow flies but already well above 100 feet with hills between us and the coast.

While the present eruptions are negatively affecting a lot of people, there is a result that would be the worst disaster in recorded history. Not likely at this time, but it will eventually happen.

Actually, the tsunami would be small. Not enough rock movement and a small area. For comparison. the 2004 tsunami off Indonesia was caused by a slab of sea floor the size of California moving up.

And I am flabbergasted by the stupidity that folks like you post... Seeing how you are so much smarter than everyone else, just exactly what is it you want done? Go ahead old socks, save the day...

Mother Nature is everywhere and you don't out run her... Whether it be a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, drought, floods, cyclones, wild fires, blizzards, etcetera etcetera etcetera...

Do you live in the US? Then you are probably next to a volcano that could affect you. It is called Yellowstone. And anyone living on the West Coast north of the California border is next to several volcanoes.

And I am flabbergasted by the stupidity that folks like you post... Seeing how you are so much smarter than everyone else, just exactly what is it you want done? Go ahead old socks, save the day...

Mother Nature is everywhere and you don't out run her... Whether it be a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, tsunami, drought, floods, cyclones, wild fires, blizzards, etcetera etcetera etcetera...
And what the fuck are you trying to say, numbnuts? That there is not evidence of many of these tsunamis in the past? That we should just ignore such evidence, and not learn as much as we can so we might be able to see something like this coming? What are you trying to say?

Do you live in the US? Then you are probably next to a volcano that could affect you. It is called Yellowstone. And anyone living on the West Coast north of the California border is next to several volcanoes.
Not as close as the homes near this volcano. I'm in Spokane. No volcanoes, no earthquakes, floods, hurricanes or tornadoes. I'm smart.

On Friday afternoon at 415 pm a tornado touched down in western Spokane County near Fairchild Air Force Base.

A preliminary storm survey conducted by personnel at National Weather Service Spokane concluded that this tornado ranks as an F0 tornado on the Fujita Scale. The survey team observed shingles blow of roofs, some shallow rooted trees that were uprooted, and damage to two doors on a shed, all indicative of an F0 tornado with peak winds approaching 72 miles per hour.

Tornadoes in Washington are quite rare, with an average of only 1 tornado each year in the state. See http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/cae/svrwx/tornadobystate.htm for details.

Here is a detailed explanation of the events:

After reviewing the radar data, it concludes that the tornado may have been produced by at least three separate processes acting in conjunction.The dominant one was the cyclonic line-end vortex on the northern end of the N/S "bowing" line segment. This vortex was within the pcpn band, not ahead of it as with classic supercell tornadoes (under updraft and rain-free cloud base). At the time of the tornado, a weak echo region was visible in this vortex.

Another process would be the merging of two separate storm clusters... the southern "bowing" line segment and the more E/W storm to the north (the storm the initial SVR was issued for). This merger could be analogous to a cold front-warm front occlusion...enhancing cyclonic vorticity and rapidly converting horizontal vorticity into vertical vorticity through vortex stretching by the updraft at the point of occlusion.

No tornadoes, eh. LOL

Forum List

Back