Hawaii TSUNAMI!!!!

The Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management: Photo library - Tsunami

New Zealand has a warning out also. Cool charts showing where buoys are at that link. Also charts showing estimated arrival times like the one for Chile below.
chile-travel-time.jpg

Looks like it will be hitting the Oregon coast at about the same time. But the first wave isn't due until 11:00 am Hawaiin time. I thought.

This tsunami warning, and the steps we are taking to save lives is a damned good argument for why a literal interpretation of the Consitution is foolish.

You'll note that nowhere in the Constiution does it tell us to create this sort of emergency warning system, but I'm guessing one hell of a lot of people in Hawaii are happy that our government has decided that literalists' intepretations of what the government is assigned to do are ignored, right now.

I hate to politicize this thread, but this IS a PERFECT EXAMPLE of why I think constitutional literalists are sort of missing the point about what governments are for.

This tsunami warning, and the steps we are taking to save lives is a damned good argument for why a literal interpretation of the Consitution is foolish.

You'll note that nowhere in the Constiution does it tell us to create this sort of emergency warning system, but I'm guessing one hell of a lot of people in Hawaii are happy that our government has decided that literalists' intepretations of what the government is assigned to do are ignored, right now.

I hate to politicize this thread, but this IS a PERFECT EXAMPLE of why I think constitutional literalists are sort of missing the point about what governments are for.

Why do you assume such a system wouldn't exist without the Federal government?

In any case, the Federal government is Constitutionally charged with defense of the nation. This falls under that scope.

Forum List

Back