Hawaii Health Dept Unable To Come Up With Obama's Birth Records For AZ Sec Of State

It's difficult to accept Burnett's assertion that he is "not a birther" on its face. What is meant by the term "birther" if not someone who does not accept the available evidence that Obama was born in Hawaii?

Even putting aside this disingenuity, Burnett seems to be a bald-faced liar. The Hawaii provision he cites (http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol06_ch0321-0344/HRS0338/HRS_0338-0018.htm) lists twelve categories of person entitled to the record:

(1) The registrant;

(2) The spouse of the registrant;

(3) A parent of the registrant;

(4) A descendant of the registrant;

(5) A person having a common ancestor with the registrant;

(6) A legal guardian of the registrant;

(7) A person or agency acting on behalf of the registrant;

(8) A personal representative of the registrant's estate;

(9) A person whose right to inspect or obtain a certified copy of the record is established by an order of a court of competent jurisdiction;

(10) Adoptive parents who have filed a petition for adoption and who need to determine the death of one or more of the prospective adopted child's natural or legal parents;

(11) A person who needs to determine the marital status of a former spouse in order to determine the payment of alimony;

(12) A person who needs to determine the death of a nonrelated co-owner of property purchased under a joint tenancy agreement; and

(13) A person who needs a death certificate for the determination of payments under a credit insurance policy.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but unless "partisan opponent who holds elective office in a state where the registrant is running for President" falls into one of those categories, I believe Hawaii is not allowed, much less required, to respond to Burnett's request.

Well, unless you live in Arizona, it's really none of your frigging business what type of person our Secretary of State is or isn't. He's got the job, he's got the authority to ask, they're bound by law to respond, end of story.

Perhaps you'd like to show me where in the law it states that Hawai'i is allowed to ignore requests for verification from a duly-elected official of another state "if he's personally planning to vote for someone we don't like".

Good Lord, I hope Arizona's not going to have to sue Hawai'i, or something.

They will just leave Owebama off the ballot due to non-compliance, I reckon.

The Sec. of State already caved. He overstepped and realized his shot at governor was going up in flames.

Bennett, who is exploring a 2014 gubernatorial run, told The Republic on Friday that he made the request on behalf of a constituent who was unable to make the request himself. Bennett said Hawaii statute provides for out-of-state government officials to request such information, but prohibits residents from obtaining it.

Bennett, who is Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's Arizona campaign co-chairman, asked that Hawaii officials provide "verification" of Obama's birth in lieu of a certified copy of the president's birth certificate.

Bennett, a Republican, said he could not recall the name of the constituent who made the request, but the question of Obama's birth appears to stem from questions about the president's citizenship. Hawaiian officials have repeatedly confirmed Obama's birth in their state but some continue to believe he was born in Kenya, his father's homeland.

AND THEN:

Bennett said he will likely cancel a scheduled 4 p.m. news conference because he is traveling in southern Arizona.

Arizona Secretary of State Bennett seeks verification of Obama's citizenship

It seems the AZ Governor doesn't agree.

AZ Secretary of State Ken Bennett released the following statement on Friday regarding Obama's birth certificate.
First, I have been on the record since 2009 that I believe the president was born in Hawaii. I am not a birther. At the request of a constituent, I asked the state of Hawaii for a verification in lieu of certified copy. We're merely asking them to officially confirm they have the president's birth certificate in their possession and are awaiting their response.

Bennett has endorsed Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and serves as his Arizona campaign co-chair.

On Friday, when Gov. Jan Brewer was asked about the president's birth certificate, she had the following to say.

I don't know the details about it but there's been controversy regarding where he was born. I, in fact, believe that he was born in Hawaii, and I've had the opportunity to speak with the prior governor and she indicated to me with all due process and trustworthiness that indeed she'd seen the birth certificate, it was a valid birth certificate so that's the story from where I know it.

AZ secretary of state: 'I am not a birther' - KCTV 5

I've had the opportunity to speak with the prior governor and she indicated to me with all due process and trustworthiness that indeed she'd seen the birth certificate, it was a valid birth certificate so that's the story from where I know it.

Correct me if I am wrong doesn't Hawaii deny everybody but the person on the certificate access to their birth record documents? And didn't the New Hawaii Governor state he wasn't allowed access last year after he made the comment that he would show obama's has a BC?

Now how did she get access to the BC?
Agreed. She apparently lied for the president or she broke Hawaii privacy statutes. In fact it is the latter. I remember Lingle on the Rusty Humphries show in 2009 and she told the audience that he was born at Kapiolani Hospital. She was asked by reporters how she got access and her office nor Hawaii Dept of Health never responded after that.

It seems the AZ Governor doesn't agree.

AZ Secretary of State Ken Bennett released the following statement on Friday regarding Obama's birth certificate.
First, I have been on the record since 2009 that I believe the president was born in Hawaii. I am not a birther. At the request of a constituent, I asked the state of Hawaii for a verification in lieu of certified copy. We're merely asking them to officially confirm they have the president's birth certificate in their possession and are awaiting their response.

Bennett has endorsed Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and serves as his Arizona campaign co-chair.

On Friday, when Gov. Jan Brewer was asked about the president's birth certificate, she had the following to say.

I don't know the details about it but there's been controversy regarding where he was born. I, in fact, believe that he was born in Hawaii, and I've had the opportunity to speak with the prior governor and she indicated to me with all due process and trustworthiness that indeed she'd seen the birth certificate, it was a valid birth certificate so that's the story from where I know it.

AZ secretary of state: 'I am not a birther' - KCTV 5

I've had the opportunity to speak with the prior governor and she indicated to me with all due process and trustworthiness that indeed she'd seen the birth certificate, it was a valid birth certificate so that's the story from where I know it.

Correct me if I am wrong doesn't Hawaii deny everybody but the person on the certificate access to their birth record documents? And didn't the New Hawaii Governor state he wasn't allowed access last year after he made the comment that he would show obama's has a BC?

Now how did she get access to the BC?
Agreed. She apparently lied for the president or she broke Hawaii privacy statutes. In fact it is the latter. I remember Lingle on the Rusty Humphries show in 2009 and she told the audience that he was born at Kapiolani Hospital. She was asked by reporters how she got access and her office nor Hawaii Dept of Health never responded after that.

She looked, to get some dirt, realized it was legit and tried to save Republicans from making bigger fools of themselves. It didn't seem to work. Hahahaha.

My favorIte part......

In a radio interview today, Bennett said he is just doing his job of making sure “that those people whose names are on the ballot have met the qualifications for the office they are seeking.” He says he has been trying for eight weeks to get documents from Hawaii.
Matt Roberts, Bennett’s spokesman, said in an email that Bennett had not asked for Romney’s Michigan birth certificate because “This was simply in response to some constituents asking us to ask Hawaii,” he said.

If Hawaii states they can't provide one or don't have one, that would be very compelling supporting evidence for the findings of Sheriff Joe's investigation.

It's difficult to accept Burnett's assertion that he is "not a birther" on its face. What is meant by the term "birther" if not someone who does not accept the available evidence that Obama was born in Hawaii?

Even putting aside this disingenuity, Burnett seems to be a bald-faced liar. The Hawaii provision he cites (http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol06_ch0321-0344/HRS0338/HRS_0338-0018.htm) lists twelve categories of person entitled to the record:

(1) The registrant;

(9) A person whose right to inspect or obtain a certified copy of the record is established by an order of a court of competent jurisdiction;

(10) Adoptive parents who have filed a petition for adoption and who need to determine the death of one or more of the prospective adopted child's natural or legal parents;

(11) A person who needs to determine the marital status of a former spouse in order to determine the payment of alimony;

(12) A person who needs to determine the death of a nonrelated co-owner of property purchased under a joint tenancy agreement; and

(13) A person who needs a death certificate for the determination of payments under a credit insurance policy.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but unless "partisan opponent who holds elective office in a state where the registrant is running for President" falls into one of those categories, I believe Hawaii is not allowed, much less required, to respond to Burnett's request.

Well, unless you live in Arizona, it's really none of your frigging business what type of person our Secretary of State is or isn't. He's got the job, he's got the authority to ask, they're bound by law to respond, end of story.

Perhaps you'd like to show me where in the law it states that Hawai'i is allowed to ignore requests for verification from a duly-elected official of another state "if he's personally planning to vote for someone we don't like".

Absolutely, I'd be happy to show you where in the law it states that Hawaii will not release the records to someone like Burnett. If you'd read my link you would have seen:

§338-18 Disclosure of records. (a) To protect the integrity of vital statistics records, to ensure their proper use, and to ensure the efficient and proper administration of the vital statistics system, it shall be unlawful for any person to permit inspection of, or to disclose information contained in vital statistics records, or to copy or issue a copy of all or part of any such record, except as authorized by this part or by rules adopted by the department of health.
(b) The department shall not permit inspection of public health statistics records, or issue a certified copy of any such record or part thereof, unless it is satisfied that the applicant has a direct and tangible interest in the record. The following persons shall be considered to have a direct and tangible interest in a public health statistics record:
(1) The registrant;

So, again, unless Burnett is claiming that he falls into one of the 13 categories or some other exception mentioned in the rules (I confess I haven't read every Hawaiian law, myself) Hawaiian law seems to forbid the release of the birth certificate to him. You seem to have a different interpretation, and I would be delighted to hear you explain it.

You say that Burnett's actions are none of my "friggin business". While this is of course literally true I nevertheless assert the right to discuss them. I feel perfectly comfortable discussing state officials from different states; I've even been known to discuss the actions of private citizens. Burnett, who has made his comments publicly, hardly has a moral or legal privacy claim to assert here.

But your suggestion that Burnett's actions cannot affect me is false. He seems to be considering (or more likely, pretending to consider) keeping Obama off the ballot in Arizona. That could affect the disposition of a federal office that holds some interest to me.

If the former governor said she saw the birth certificate then Hawaii privacy statutes were broken. She didn't have a tangible interest. Obama himself allegedly had to get a waiver from the new director of health Loretta Fuddy to release it to him. The certificate might have been valid but what was on it?

As far as I know, Lingle never said she saw the birth certificate. You seem to be referring to when she said(http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/05/hawaii_gov_lingle_answers_the.html)

You know, during the campaign of 2008, I was actually in the mainland campaigning for Sen. McCain. This issue kept coming up so much in the campaign, and again I think it's one of those issues that is simply a distraction from the more critical issues that are facing the country. And so I had my health director, who is a physician by background, go personally view the birth certificate in the birth records of the Department of Health, and we issued a news release at that time saying that the president was, in fact, born at Kapi'olani Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii. And that's just a fact. And yet people continue to call up and e-mail and want to make it an issue. And I think it's, again, a horrible distraction for the country by those people who continue this. ... It's been established. He was born here.

Since the Hawaii Director of Health is part of the Hawaii Department of Health, for him or her to view the certificate would not constitute "disclosure" and so I don't see how a law would have been violated. If one had, it would be very embarrassing for the Republicans. After all, it would be a Republican official campaigning for McCain illegally abusing her office to spy on Obama.

Earlier this evening it has been learned...

Ariz. Sec. of State Wants to See Proof of Obama’s Citizenship - ABC News

In a statement just released, Bennett says:

“First, I have been on the record since 2009 that I believe the president was born in Hawaii. I am not a birther. At the request of a constituent, I asked the state of Hawaii for a verification in lieu of a certified copy. We’re merely asking them to officially confirm they have the president’s birth certificate in their possession and are awaiting their response.”

nothing about Hawaii not having a cert. even Sean Hannity says he believes Obama was born in USA.

I'll stop feeding the troll now.

:lol:

If Hawaii states they can't provide one or don't have one, that would be very compelling supporting evidence for the findings of Sheriff Joe's investigation.

You can't really be that dumb.

READ THIS: snopes.com: Barack Obama Birth Certificate
Snopes has been debunked by a authoritative entity called the Maricopa County Sheriffs Department. Also Snopes has been caught scrubbing their articles before and changing them when it suits them. I believe they are left leaning.

You can't really be that dumb.

READ THIS: snopes.com: Barack Obama Birth Certificate
Snopes has been debunked by a authoritative entity called the Maricopa County Sheriffs Department. Also Snopes has been caught scrubbing their articles before and changing them when it suits them. I believe they are left leaning.

That is sooo funny...

Response to Zebest

Earlier this evening it has been learned that Arizona's Secretary of State Ken Bennett asked Hawaii's Dept Of Health 8 weeks ago to get him Obama's birth documents in order to verify he is a natural born Citizen before going on the ballot this fall. Hawaii has not responded at all. He asked if they had a certified copy of his certificate of live birth on file. They won't respond. This scenario is fixing to get interesting. I mean, we have a legitiment Secretary of the State of Arizona asking for a simple task to be done by the Hawaiian Dept of Health and they don't reply. This is troubling, especially after what was discovered and released yesterday from Breitbarts team showing that in 1991 Obama presented himself as Kenyan Born shopping for a publisher for his autobiography.What do you think the reason Hawaii is stonewalling? According to Hawaii Dept of Health Statute HRS 338-18, the Arizona Sec if State has the right to the documents. See here:

g) The department shall not issue a verification in lieu of a certified copy of any such record, or any part thereof, unless it is satisfied that the applicant requesting a verification is:

(1) A person who has a direct and tangible interest in the record but requests a verification in lieu of a certified copy;

(2) A governmental agency or organization who for a legitimate government purpose maintains and needs to update official lists of persons in the ordinary course of the agency's or organization's activities;

(3) A governmental, private, social, or educational agency or organization who seeks confirmation of a certified copy of any such record submitted in support of or information provided about a vital event relating to any such record and contained in an official application made in the ordinary course of the agency's or organization's activities by an individual seeking employment with, entrance to, or the services or products of the agency or organization;

In a radio interview today, Bennett said he is just doing his job of making sure “that those people whose names are on the ballot have met the qualifications for the office they are seeking.” He says he has been trying for eight weeks to get documents from Hawaii.

It may have something to do with this.

Obama-Column.png

This is just breaking news--already gone viral on the internet.

Note from Senior Management:
Andrew Breitbart was never a "Birther," and Breitbart News is a site that has never advocated the narrative of "Birtherism." In fact, Andrew believed, as we do, that President Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on August 4, 1961. Yet Andrew also believed that the complicit mainstream media had refused to examine President Obama's ideological past, or the carefully crafted persona he and his advisers had constructed for him.

It is for that reason that we launched "The Vetting," an ongoing series in which we explore the ideological background of President Obama (and other presidential candidates)--not to re-litigate 2008, but because ideas and actions have consequences. It is also in that spirit that we discovered, and now present, the booklet described below--one that includes a marketing pitch for a forthcoming book by a then-young, otherwise unknown former president of the Harvard Law Review. It is evidence--not of the President's foreign origin, but that Barack Obama's public persona has perhaps been presented differently at different times.
Breitbart News has obtained a promotional booklet produced in 1991 by Barack Obama's then-literary agency, Acton & Dystel, which touts Obama as "born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii."

The booklet, which was distributed to "business colleagues" in the publishing industry, includes a brief biography of Obama among the biographies of eighty-nine other authors represented by Acton & Dystel.

It also promotes Obama's anticipated first book, Journeys in Black and White--which Obama abandoned, later publishing Dreams from My Father instead. Obama’s biography in the booklet is as follows (image and text below):

Barack Obama, the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review, was born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii. The son of an American anthropologist and a Kenyan finance minister, he attended Columbia University and worked as a financial journalist and editor for Business International Corporation. He served as project coordinator in Harlem for the New York Public Interest Research Group, and was Executive Director of the Developing Communities Project in Chicago’s South Side. His commitment to social and racial issues will be evident in his first book, Journeys in Black and White.

The booklet, which is thirty-six pages long, is printed in blue ink (and, on the cover, silver/grey ink), using offset lithography. It purports to celebrate the fifteenth anniversary of Acton & Dystel, which was founded in 1976.
The Vetting - Exclusive - Obama's Literary Agent in 1991 Booklet: 'Born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii'

Last edited:
Earlier this evening it has been learned that Arizona's Secretary of State Ken Bennett asked Hawaii's Dept Of Health 8 weeks ago to get him Obama's birth documents in order to verify he is a natural born Citizen before going on the ballot this fall. Hawaii has not responded at all. He asked if they had a certified copy of his certificate of live birth on file. They won't respond. This scenario is fixing to get interesting. I mean, we have a legitiment Secretary of the State of Arizona asking for a simple task to be done by the Hawaiian Dept of Health and they don't reply. This is troubling, especially after what was discovered and released yesterday from Breitbarts team showing that in 1991 Obama presented himself as Kenyan Born shopping for a publisher for his autobiography.What do you think the reason Hawaii is stonewalling? According to Hawaii Dept of Health Statute HRS 338-18, the Arizona Sec if State has the right to the documents. See here:

g) The department shall not issue a verification in lieu of a certified copy of any such record, or any part thereof, unless it is satisfied that the applicant requesting a verification is:

(1) A person who has a direct and tangible interest in the record but requests a verification in lieu of a certified copy;

(2) A governmental agency or organization who for a legitimate government purpose maintains and needs to update official lists of persons in the ordinary course of the agency's or organization's activities;

(3) A governmental, private, social, or educational agency or organization who seeks confirmation of a certified copy of any such record submitted in support of or information provided about a vital event relating to any such record and contained in an official application made in the ordinary course of the agency's or organization's activities by an individual seeking employment with, entrance to, or the services or products of the agency or organization;

That IS odd. I mean, they already published the damn thing, right? That's what they told us. So why don't they just send it to him? I believe they ARE required by law to respond to his request.

Good Lord, I hope Arizona's not going to have to sue Hawai'i, or something.

How do you reconcile your belief that Hawaii is required to respond to Burnett's request with the language I cited above?

You are wrong to say that Hawaii published Obama's birth certificate: Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The White House published Obama's long-form birth certificate. So far as I know Hawaii never made it public, they only released it to Obama's lawyer. Hawaii (and presumably most other states) have strict laws about releasing records, and presumably they aren't affected by whether the record has already been posted on the internet. I reiterate my belief that Hawaii cannot legally comply with Burnett's request.

First of all, what am I supposed to reconcile?

Bennett said Hawaii statute provides for out-of-state government officials to request such information, but prohibits residents from obtaining it.

Arizona Secretary of State Bennett seeks verification of Obama's citizenship

Seems pretty straightforward to me. As the Secretary of State for Arizona, Mr. Bennett certainly meets the qualifications listed above.

Second, I never said Hawai'i published his birth certificate. I said "they" published it; I didn't specify which "they" I meant, because I didn't consider it particularly important. The relevant point was that it's already been published and everyone's seen it, so why spend 8 weeks being cagey about issuing the verification in response to a legitimate request by an official from another state?

I would suspect that Arizona can pass laws regarding elections for state offices, but probably not for federal offices because of the supremacy clause, and the full faith and credit clause. If Arizona wants a copy she should go to the courts, and I wonder if the Court would even take the case?

Actually, dear, states can very much pass laws as to how one gets on its ballots, even in Presidential elections.

In this case, however, there's no special law involved. EVERY state official in charge of overseeing elections is in charge of making sure the people on the ballot are qualifed to be on the ballot, whether it means verifying eligibility in terms of citizenship or age or what-have-you, or verifying signatures on petitions to put the name on the ballot, or whatever.

Mr. Bennett is not doing anything unusual, or outrageous, or even odd. He's doing his job.

Nor does this have anything to do with the courts. This is not a legal dispute. The various states routinely make information requests of each other on all manner of issues, although the responding state doesn't usually make it into such a big deal by stonewalling.

Forum List

Back