Hawaii Ends Universal Child Health Care 7 Months After Start

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
FOXNews.com - Hawaii Ends Universal Child Health Care 7 Months After Start - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

Hawaii Ends Universal Child Health Care 7 Months After Start
Saturday, October 18, 2008

HONOLULU — Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

State officials said Thursday they will stop giving health coverage to the 2,000 children enrolled by Nov. 1, but private partner Hawaii Medical Service Association will pay to extend their coverage through the end of the year without government support.

"We're very disappointed in the state's decision, and it came as a complete surprise to us," said Jennifer Diesman, a spokeswoman for HMSA, the state's largest health care provider. "We believe the program is working, and given Hawaii's economic uncertainty, we don't think now is the time to cut all funding for this kind of program."

More...

Sadly the ones that didn't need it just blew it for the ones that did.
In my state we have socialized medicine for every child if you cannot get them health care and if you can they will also pay your premium if you cannot! It is more important to make sure children have health care then any other bullshit reason people can come up with. Maybe they should organize their system alittle better then dropping it completly.

In FL we have a program called Florida Healthy Kids. It's not Medicaid but it's socialized medical insurance based on your income and what you can afford to pay.

My daughter was on it before I could afford health insurance for her.

It's a shame that Hawaii's budget constraints caused them to have to end this program because I believe ALL children deserve health insurance.

I can't wait for Obama to force us into it if he is elected...

WOOHOO!

Forum List

Back