Hawaii can't catch a break; Mauna Loa Volcano now showing signs of unrest

What's interesting about Kilauea is that here in northern California, we've been having overcast weather every morning (weird for May) since this started and the same thing happened in the summer of 1991; Kilauea had a rowdy spurt and we got a burst of very cloudy, rainy weather (unheard of in summer here). Hawaii's volcanic activity must be having some effect on the jet stream that makes our weather cooler and cloudier than it's supposed to be for that time of year. I'm no scientist but maybe it's from countless tons of lava slamming into the ocean and sending gigantic plumes of various gasses into the atmosphere.

When you visit any volcanic Pacific island, the steep, jagged mountain landscapes and their strangely-shaped formations everywhere gives you an instant visual snapshot of the mind-blowing, earth-shaking violence that created these now peaceful, idyllic paradises.

What's interesting about Kilauea is that here in northern California, we've been having overcast weather every morning (weird for May) since this started and the same thing happened in the summer of 1991; Kilauea had a rowdy spurt and we got a burst of very cloudy, rainy weather (unheard of in summer here). Hawaii's volcanic activity must be having some effect on the jet stream that makes our weather cooler and cloudier than it's supposed to be for that time of year. I'm no scientist but maybe it's from countless tons of lava slamming into the ocean and sending gigantic plumes of various gasses into the atmosphere.

When you visit any volcanic Pacific island, the steep, jagged mountain landscapes and their strangely-shaped formations everywhere gives you an instant visual snapshot of the mind-blowing, earth-shaking violence that created these now peaceful, idyllic paradises.
Your experiencing what is called 'drop out'. Its caused by fine particulates and chemicals in the air and Kilauea is putting out a good amount of them.. Your right in that downwind path...

Your experiencing what is called 'drop out'. Its caused by fine particulates and chemicals in the air and Kilauea is putting out a good amount of them.. Your right in that downwind path...

Interesting. I knew it must be having at least some minor effect on us.

It should help drought conditions if they still exist..

upload_2018-5-22_21-25-7.png

JUST TRYING SOME LEFT WING VOO DOO..:abgg2q.jpg:

I went and looked at NOAA tsunami buoys to see how that cloud is affecting ocean surface temps. there is cone shaped cooling noted down wind of the ash/gas cloud extending out some 500 miles. I've asked for hourly read out tables for the next few days. Tracking the heat loss due to this could answer some questions as to why we glaciate after major eruptions..

Kilauea's Wrath Threatens Power Plant — And Hawaii's Most Powerful Industry
In the weeks since the Kilauea volcano began belching lava into Hawaii's residential areas, the fiery flow has destroyed dozens of structures and covered scores of acres on the Big Island. But authorities fear its destructive reach could ravage at least two more cornerstones of the state: its power supply and, a little less tangibly, its all-important tourism industry.

I read somewhere (no link) that volcanoes emit more pollutants EVERY DAY than all of Humanity in a Year.

I read somewhere (no link) that volcanoes emit more pollutants EVERY DAY than all of Humanity in a Year.
That is a hotly disputed item, even today... However, this current eruption is having far reaching effects in the continental US now with what equates to cloud seeding and "drop out". Precipitation increased over the US has increased by 8% in one week.

On the plus side, the Big Island will eventually have a lot more black sand beaches. From my layman's understanding, black sand beaches are a phenomenon that happens on extremely young islands (Big Island & Tahiti Island itself) when a bunch of carbon-rich lava hits the ocean at the right speed/temperature to explode into a storm of black particles. But the layers of black sand are thin enough the ocean washes them away after a number of eons, so older islands don't have them. In geological terms, black beaches are a very young, recent thing.

On the plus side, the Big Island will eventually have a lot more black sand beaches. From my layman's understanding, black sand beaches are a phenomenon that happens on extremely young islands (Big Island & Tahiti Island itself) when a bunch of carbon-rich lava hits the ocean at the right speed/temperature to explode into a storm of black particles. But the layers of black sand are thin enough the ocean washes them away after a number of eons, so older islands don't have them. In geological terms, black beaches are a very young, recent thing.

Black sand beeches are the result of dark volcanic material. Carbon is almost nonexistent in their creation. Here is a little treatise on black sand beeches.

What is black sand - Sandatlas

UPDATE;

KILAUEA GIVING WARNING SIGNS OF VIOLENT ERUPTION.

Today lava balls are being thrown from vents around Kilauea. High resolution cameras show these balls being thrown from vents on the big island. An indicator that obstructions are happening in the lava tubes and that a violent eruption may be imminent.

USGS is in a tight spot... Evacuate or not to evacuate the big island?

Hawaii volcano eruption update: LAVA BALLS spotted as Kilauea pours molten rock into ocean

Muna loa is also showing crust displacement near the north base..

UPDATE;

KILAUEA GIVING WARNING SIGNS OF VIOLENT ERUPTION.

Today lava balls are being thrown from vents around Kilauea. High resolution cameras show these balls being thrown from vents on the big island. An indicator that obstructions are happening in the lava tubes and that a violent eruption may be imminent.

USGS is in a tight spot... Evacuate or not to evacuate the big island?

Hawaii volcano eruption update: LAVA BALLS spotted as Kilauea pours molten rock into ocean

Muna loa is also showing crust displacement near the north base..

It seems Hawaii is in a real shady state.

Forum List

Back