Have you written your congresscritter about cap and trade?

Did you send a message

• maybe if we can get just one more person to yell, it might work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 12, 2008
I went ahead and wrote a nastygram to the local congresscritter about cap and trade. he is a big supporter of it, so I know it is a pointless exercise. But I needed to vent.

How many of you have actually sent in a message, and how much effect do you expect it it too have?

- 'Cap and Trade', I mean 'Cap and Tax', and I told him NO It's HR 2454 if you want to call yours.

The Club For Growth - http://www.clubforgrowth.org

June 26, 2009
15 Reasons to Oppose Climate Bill
Need a reason to oppose the Waxman-Markey "cap and tax" bill, which will be voted on in the House later this afternoon? Here are 15 reasons, provided by the good folks at the RSC. Democrats should find several of these reasons hard to ignore.
National Energy Tax: This is a tax that will affect constituents in every aspect of their lives. From transportation, to food, to electricity, to income - this is the ultimate regressive consumption tax to the tune of nearly $3,000 per year according to the Heritage Foundation. The costs per family for the whole energy tax aggregated from 2012 to 2035 are estimated to be $71,493.

Exacerbates the Economic Crisis: Studies from numerous independent research groups, including MIT, the Heritage Foundation, and CRA International, all agree that implementing a massive cap and tax scheme will cost millions of jobs, reduce earnings for the average U.S. worker, and devastate GDP.

Massive Job Losses: According to the Heritage Foundation, employment will be lower by 1,105,000 jobs per year. In some years, the national energy tax will reduce employment by nearly 2.5 million jobs.

Winners & Losers: The bill transfers wealth from rural areas to cities. States like California, Washington, and New Jersey would receive more emission credits than they need, enabling them to sell surplus credits to smaller facilities in states like Ohio that receive maybe half of the credits they need - making the rich, richer, and the poor, poorer.

Little Environmental Impact: The bill will cost consumers trillions of dollars, while reducing, by a very small amount the carbon dioxide that is contained in our atmosphere. World-wide emission reductions would be negligible without the full participation of all nations. Additionally, just because the government requires a certain decrease in emissions within a certain timeframe, does not mean such decreases can occur in that time
period.

Green Jobs Are a Proven Failure: According to a recent study (PDF) that reviewed the impact of "green jobs" in Spain, the U.S. can expect 2.2 jobs to be destroyed for every 1 renewable job financed by the government. Only 1 in 10 of the jobs actually created through green investment is permanent, and since 2000, Spain has spent 753,778 U.S dollars to create each "green job," including subsidies of more than $1,319,783 per wind industry job.

Free Money to Select Corporate Titans: Government-run "cap and trade" is, by definition, a central economic planning scheme in which the government decides which industries and companies deserve more or fewer credits and what business factors and economic outputs are "necessary." Small business and rural interests never had a seat at the table when discussions occurred on how to craft H.R. 2454.

Creates a Derivatives Market for Companies like AIG: Companies like AIG and ENRON will be participating in a new derivatives market that is much more volatile than housing or natural gas. This new unregulated derivates market will be more perilous for companies like these than the traditional ones that got them into trouble in the first place. In addition, since the created artificial market contains no transparency, it is more likely to attract traders intent on imposing Ponzi schemes in the same spirit of Bernie Madoff and swindle thousands of Americans.

Devastates Rural America: According to the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, the monthly residential electricity bills in 25 states will increase 15 to 28 percent for every $20/ton of carbon dioxide allowances. Rural households spend 58% more on fuel than urban residents as a percentage of their income. The Heritage foundation estimates farm income will drop by $50 billion by 2035.

Concedes to the Competition: Currently, China accounts for 85% of global growth in coal each year and is the world's largest annual emitter of greenhouse gases. China's energy usage rose by 7.2% last year and they are building approximately two coal fired power plants per week to keep up with demand. Recently, at a U.N. conference, the Chinese government's advisory panel on climate change asserted that the cap and tax targets were too low by stating Given that, it is natural for China to have some increase in its emissions, so it is not possible for China in that context to accept a binding or compulsory target. In addition, India will not agree to any cap on their total energy production, and many believe India will double their coal-fired-capacity by 2030.

Discriminates Against Developing Nations: The bill creates a new program under USAID to provide U.S. foreign aid to developing countries for their efforts to adapt to climate change. Essentially, the bill is sending taxpayer funds to encourage third world nations to not develop carbon emitting energy sources - keeping them at a competitive disadvantage from developed nations for even more decades to come.

Establishes an Unrealistic Renewable Energy Standard (RES): "Cap and tax" does not take into account the fact that additional hydropower, nuclear and advanced fossil coal power plants cannot be deployed quickly enough to meet expected growth in electricity demand while also dramatically reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Since renewable technology accounts for a small percentage of energy demand, consumers can expect not only higher rates, but more transmission problems during peak hours of demand. Additionally, the bill preempts at least 23 state renewable electricity standards.

Davis-Bacon: "Cap and tax" expands Davis-Bacon prevailing wage requirements to many provisions of the bill. This policy ahs been shown to increase public construction costs by anywhere from 5 to 38 percent above projected costs for the same project in the private sector.

Bloated Bureaucracy: The bill establishes a myriad of new federal agencies intertwined between at least 21established agencies with the mission of reallocating trillions of taxpayer dollars in a supposedly fair and efficient manor. According the U.S Chamber of Commerce (PDF), the bill will impose 397 new federal regulations that require traditional agency rulemakings.

Countless Federal Mandates: The bill imposes over a thousand mandates and even mandates efficiency requirements on electric appliances like Jacuzzis.

We live in a society -
"of the Government, by the Government, for the Government".
We are now slaves to A GREEDY government.

I went ahead and wrote a nastygram to the local congresscritter about cap and trade. he is a big supporter of it, so I know it is a pointless exercise. But I needed to vent.

How many of you have actually sent in a message, and how much effect do you expect it it too have?
it would be a waste of time
my congress critter is a moron
and i didnt vote for her

You forgot a choice for those who care about the earth they leave to their children and grandchildren. Tell them to support cap and trade as a start down a road that may help or may not but is a great start.

re-post

Bravo Folks, fluck the future, who cares if they all die of cancer and who cares if they starve. We got ours, we'll be dead, fluck em all. Children grandchildren who cares!

Interesting how tools can preach the party line and know nothing. Someone once wrote that the best slavery is slavery that is so hidden that it becomes part of the person. An acceptance of a world that they are unable to step back from. Really sad and tragic.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/What-Leave-Behind-Derrick-Jensen/dp/1583228675/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246013791&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: What We Leave Behind: Derrick Jensen, Aric McBay: Books[/ame]

The Cap and Trade Success Story - Global Warming - Environmental Defense Fund
Cap and Trade 101
Cap and Trade 101: A Climate Policy Primer — Sightline Institute

For those still not slaves to corporate power - tell them to examine it and to do what's best for the future generations as well as the greedy current one.

and i didnt vote for her
I don't understand that attitude. Whether or not your congresswoman is a moron or not, you as an American have the right to express your opinion. If the moron gets enough calls from folks like you objecting to the cap and trade legislation, they may be swayed to vote against it if they think it would mean their job for the next 4 years.

You forgot a choice for those who care about the earth they leave to their children and grandchildren. Tell them to support cap and trade as a start down a road that may help or may not but is a great start.

re-post

Bravo Folks, fluck the future, who cares if they all die of cancer and who cares if they starve. We got ours, we'll be dead, fluck em all. Children grandchildren who cares!

Interesting how tools can preach the party line and know nothing. Someone once wrote that the best slavery is slavery that is so hidden that it becomes part of the person. An acceptance of a world that they are unable to step back from. Really sad and tragic.

Amazon.com: What We Leave Behind: Derrick Jensen, Aric McBay: Books

The Cap and Trade Success Story - Global Warming - Environmental Defense Fund
Cap and Trade 101
Cap and Trade 101: A Climate Policy Primer — Sightline Institute

For those still not slaves to corporate power - tell them to examine it and to do what's best for the future generations as well as the greedy current one.
only one problem
cap & trade wont do a fucking thing to protect the future

and i didnt vote for her
I don't understand that attitude. Whether or not your congresswoman is a moron or not, you as an American have the right to express your opinion. If the moron gets enough calls from folks like you objecting to the cap and trade legislation, they may be swayed to vote against it if they think it would mean their job for the next 4 years.
i didnt vote for them
so my not voting for them next time wonht change a thing

Walt Minnick is a democrat freshman from the great state of Idaho. He is not on board with this bill, and I wrote and supported him on his decision. Glad to see that some on the left have some common sense about them. Well, there's that, and the fact that Idaho is one of the most conservative state in the nation, he knows that he needs to keep his job.

You are missing the point. Whether or not you voted for them makes no difference. She is still your congresswoman, and you as an American citizen have the right to express your opinion to your elected officials whether you voted for them or not. Is that what you have been thinking? Just because you didn't vote for them, you have no voice in how they vote? If that is so, your government teacher needs to have their ass kicked for leading you into that thinking pattern, or you shouldn't have missed the government classes those days when this was discussed.

You are missing the point. Whether or not you voted for them makes no difference. She is still your congresswoman, and you as an American citizen have the right to express your opinion to your elected officials whether you voted for them or not. Is that what you have been thinking? Just because you didn't vote for them, you have no voice in how they vote? If that is so, your government teacher needs to have their ass kicked for leading you into that thinking pattern, or you shouldn't have missed the government classes those days when this was discussed.
yes, i do have that right
but, i dont feel like wasting my time

Wasting your time? With that attitude, it is no wonder why the United States is in so much trouble pokitically and financially. We wouldn't want to "waste your time." You are obviously "wasting your time" typing here on this political forum when you could be writing to your senators and representatives instead. I have already written to mine, so I can do this. You haven't, so you should feel guilty for not doing your civil duty.

Wasting your time? With that attitude, it is no wonder why the United States is in so much trouble pokitically and financially. We wouldn't want to "waste your time." You are obviously "wasting your time" typing here on this political forum when you could be writing to your senators and representatives instead. I have already written to mine, so I can do this. You haven't, so you should feel guilty for not doing your civil duty.
i have in the past
and all i got was form letters
and they didnt even address what i asked
so, it is a waste of time for me to continue writing to people that ignore me
i just dont ever plan to vote for them

so, me writing them to tell them not to support cap & trade or i wont vote for the is a waste of time
i WONT vote for them either way they vote on this single issue
there are MULTIPLE issues that are the reasons i wontvote for them

Last edited:
Given that my senators are Dr. Tom Coburn and Jim Inhofe and that this is going to have to be stopped in the senate I think I'm in pretty good shape.

Given that my senators are Dr. Tom Coburn and Jim Inhofe and that this is going to have to be stopped in the senate I think I'm in pretty good shape.
all the dems have to do is hold onto all the dems and get that turncoat specter and my two moronic senators

Hard to say the Dems are damn well concerned about it's passage and considering the number of Dems that voted against it in the house today it isn't a done deal that they will hold all the Senate Dems either.

Forum List

Back