Have you looked at your receipts today?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I only shopped at my suppliers today so I dunno if this is true but I heard on our local radio today that...

Many people were posting photos of their shopping receipts online today highlighting the tax called MEDICAL EXCISE tax. Supposidly an obamacare tax.

Is this for real? It would be nice to actually see what this monstrosity is going to cost me.

Nothing on my reciepts from

Radioshack
The pretzel place at my mall
The asian massage place at my mall (idk how I even wound up there in the first place. Those people are sneaky.)
The computer shop where I got my alienware keyboard from
Amazon
Mc Donalds
Popeyes
Sears

It's on all medical devices. Implants, orthopedic hardware, pacemakers, insulin pumps, etc. Folks needing those things will now pay more for them. Although the tax is on the supplier, the cost of that tax always goes to the consumer.

• Banned
Yeah I get that amy but what I'm wondering is if businesses are going to skirt the law on some purchases that are not really connected.

I only shopped at my suppliers today so I dunno if this is true but I heard on our local radio today that...

Many people were posting photos of their shopping receipts online today highlighting the tax called MEDICAL EXCISE tax. Supposidly an obamacare tax.

Is this for real? It would be nice to actually see what this monstrosity is going to cost me.
I suppose this is what you're referring to. The manufacture or importer is responsible for paying the taxes. They can of course choose to pass this along directly to the purchaser.

Q1. What is the medical device excise tax?
A1. Section 4191 of the Internal Revenue Code imposes an excise tax on the sale of certain medical devices by the manufacturer or importer of the device.

Q2. When does the tax go into effect?
A2. The tax applies to sales of taxable medical devices after Dec. 31, 2012.

Q3. How much is the tax?
A3. The tax is 2.3 percent of the sale price of the taxable medical device. See Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510, Excise Taxes, and Notice 2012-77 for additional information on the determination of sale price.

Q4. Who is responsible for reporting and paying the medical device excise tax?
A4. Generally, the manufacturer or importer of a taxable medical device is responsible for filing Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return, and paying the tax to the IRS.

Q5. Will individual consumers be subject to any reporting or recordkeeping requirements?
A5. Generally, no action is required by individual consumers. Because the tax is imposed upon the sale of a taxable medical device by the manufacturer or importer, the manufacturer or importer is responsible for reporting and paying the tax.

Medical Device Excise Tax: Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
So gramps made another thread based on empty accusations just to keep the obama hate train going.

Looks like the same ol, same ol.

There was a receipt posted today on facebook that was fiercely debated on the radio tonight as to its validity. It was from Cabelas.

Keep in mind the show in question was just a local talk show but they did pull upthe facebook page and said the copy looked legit. I dunno the law so I ddidn't form an opinion.

There was a receipt posted today on facebook that was fiercely debated on the radio tonight as to its validity. It was from Cabelas.

Keep in mind the show in question was just a local talk show but they did pull upthe facebook page and said the copy looked legit. I dunno the law so I ddidn't form an opinion.

Most likely fake to make a false political statement.

If they did start doing that, would you shop there? Even stores are not required to have a tax like that at all?

If they did start doing that, would you shop there? Even stores are not required to have a tax like that at all?
I've never been there anyways except for the year they opened to look at pontoons. :)

Posters really should read links others go to the trouble to provide.

It's not a fake receipt. The receipt is real, from a real store that sells no medical devices. The store reported that there was a glitch in the software for their registers and the tax customers were charged will be refunded to them.

restaurants here in SF have been doing it for years now. The city did its own version of obamacare...and the revolt started. Instead of raising prices ... they flag the tax and say why its there.

I am sure now we will have two.

Forum List

Back