Have you experienced the vastness of space?

Have you experienced the vastness of space?

• Not yet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have noticed that this tread has been moved to Science and Technology. When I initially posted this I thought of Science or Religion as locations to post too. Since we are approaching the first quarter of the moon phase I choose current events as the location.

The Vastness of Space that I am referring to is the sensation that the observer has as he tries to locate the light source illuminating the crescent moon. If you thought the moon was far away, the light source is enormously far away.

If we had no moon this sensation would not be available to us. Hence there would be no word called lunatic.:eusa_shhh:
“As you said in the OP, when the moon is in its early crescent phase (as it is today after a new moon cycle) try pointing to the light source.” Ordinary geometry provides the information, because the arc of the moon’s lit side points directly at the sun during the earliest and latest phases of the moon.

It appears that the moon is an invaluable clue to the mechanics of the heavens. The movement of the planets among the constellations of the stars was another. With enough curiosity about the “Stars” and “Planets” and when the telescope was developed for a closer look the phases of Mercury and Venus, or even the Galilean moons of Jupiter would have provided proof for the correct theories about its mechanics.

living circa 80 to 25 B.C. - Marcus Vitruvius Pollio, his books:
de Architectura, Book IX Chapter I, Sections 14 and 15

“14. If, therefore, experience, reason, and the testimony of an antient poet, prove it, I do not see how it can be otherwise than I have above shewn. Jupiter performs his circuit between those of Mars and Saturn: thus it is greater than that of Mars, but less than that of Saturn. In short, all the planets, the more distant they are from the extremity of the heaven, and the nearer their orbit is to the earth, seem to move swifter; for those which have a smaller orbit, often pass those above them.

15. Thus, on a wheel similar to those in use among potters, if seven ants be placed in as many channels round the centre, which are necessarily greater in proportion to their distance therefrom, and the ants are forced to make their circuits [planet's orbial direction] in these channels, whilst the wheel moves round in an opposite [as in the heaven's] direction, they will assuredly complete their circuit, notwithstanding the contrary motion of the wheel; and, moreover, that nearest the centre will perform his journey sooner than he who is traveling in the outer channel of the wheel, who, though he move with great velocity, yet, from the greater extent of is circuit, will require a longer time for its completion. It is even so with the planets, which, each in its particular orbit, revolve in a direction contrary to the motion of the heavens, although, in their diurnal motion, they are carried backwards by its rotation.”

A failed explanation for "diurnal motion" of planets.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back