Have you experienced the vastness of space?

Have you experienced the vastness of space?

• Not yet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

amiam*

Dec 5, 2008
N42 07.187' W87 49.820'
When the moon is in its early crescent phase (as it is today after a new moon cycle) try pointing to the light source. I get a kick out of the Muslims with their crescent and a star where a star is never seen(because the moon blocks it). I call this my divine triangle. Try explaining this 5 to 10 thousand years and they would call you a lunatic and believed you to be affected by the phases of the moon.

Last edited:
When the moon is in its early crescent phase (as it is today after a new moon cycle) try pointing to the light source. I get a kick out of the Muslims with their crescent and a star where a star is never seen(because the moon blocks it). I call this my divine triangle. Try explaining this 5 to 10 thousand years and they would call you a lunatic and believed you to be affected by the phases of the moon.

yeah that is pretty silly, too bad their religion doesnt deal with reality like some other religions do like the ones that believe a guy lived in the belly of a whale for a few days or the realistic scenario of a guy building a boat to carry 2 of every kind of animal with all the provisions necessary to feed and take care of them for forty days, those muslims need to inject a little reality into their religious beliefs.

yeah that is pretty silly, too bad their religion doesnt deal with reality like some other religions do like the ones that believe a guy lived in the belly of a whale for a few days or the realistic scenario of a guy building a boat to carry 2 of every kind of animal with all the provisions necessary to feed and take care of them for forty days, those muslims need to inject a little reality into their religious beliefs.
well, clearly you dont know the true story of Jonah
the bible doesnt say "whale" and since a whale is a mamal and not a fish, it doesnt fit the actual biblical story

Venus kissing the Moon...Hellooooooo!

Venus kissing the Moon.....I googled it and got 947,000 hits. Wow!

I would have thought more of the starfield being occulted by the Moon. But Venus and Jupiter have also been occulted by the Moon. In the divine triangle I've proposed reside the foundations of geometry. Have a peek when you have nothing better to do.

the bible doesnt say "whale" and since a whale is a mamal and not a fish, it doesnt fit the actual biblical story

so what animal did he live in the belly of and why is surviving a few days in that animals belly more realistic than living in the belly of a whale?

so what animal did he live in the belly of and why is surviving a few days in that animals belly more realistic than living in the belly of a whale?
the bible says "a great fish" and it doesn't say what fish
and who knows if that fish has become extinct since then

so you believe at one time there was this fish large enough for a man to live a few days in its stomach?

so you believe at one time there was this fish large enough for a man to live a few days in its stomach?
its what the bible says
i'm not about to state what i believe only for you to trash me with it

Every time I read a conservative / republican / libertarian post, I experience a vastness larger than space, oh, or is that a vacuity larger than space. Either way, it is damn big.

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it." John Cage

its what the bible says
i'm not about to state what i believe only for you to trash me with it

i dont trash people until they trash me first, if you dont want to answer fine, if you believe such that is fine too.

The Vastness of Space?

I'm old enough to have been in my 6th year at the time of the great meteor storm of the Giacobinids (AKA Draconids), which produced spectacular meteor showers on October 9, 1946. But "shower" is the wrong word for what happened that night; the correct term is a “meteor Storm.”

In Menzel's "Field Guide To The Stars And Planets" under "Hourly Number of Shower Meteors for Single Observer" for the same periodic “storm” it gives 20,000 per hour for the 1933 event but only 1,000 for the one I saw in 1946. But I have to say that the number of meteors that night was far far more impressive to me than just one flash per 3.6 seconds which 1,000 would average. Consider how long 3.6 seconds is when you are waiting for it to pass. That's an immensely long span of time between objects for what I saw that night.

As a base to calculate, and an extreme case, only a hundred moving objects in the entire sky per second would yield 72,000 objects per hour. For ordinary, even very active meteor showers, viewers can expect to see at most a flash at the rate of one per minute, for some others a couple per hour.

I could accept 72,000 would be too many, but I could accept 18,000 per hour, then, as being reasonably close to what I saw that night. That would be only 5 meteor trails per second or one per quarter second. That seems far too few. But as a child I may have had very good vision, because as I said, in the background regions there were many seemingly inconsequential short lived and quickly extinguished objects that gave the sky the look of actually “crawling” or being in a "flux;" many objects moving with just the briefest of lives. Another factor may be that my attention was very likely focused on a small dramatic part of the sky, the radiant or zenithal part of the radiant.

A youngster of 5-½ years of age may seem too young to fully appreciate what he was seeing, and there also may be some proportional differentials for time and quantity for a child of that age as compared to a more average aged person in their mid 30's which is more common here at USMB.

As we age we all are aware that every year seems to pass faster than the year before, and that's especially noticeable in your 60's with all the cumulative effect. Then you especially notice how quickly five or six years can go by. It's always seemed to me that that phenomenon – of proportional time scale versus our age – has a lot to do with how our minds compare time being experienced in the present with the amount of time we've experienced in our past: The 6 years before we begin school seem like forever, the 6 years in grade school a moderately long time, the 6 years in middle and high school shrink still again; but the last 6 years in our late 60's seem like only a moment passing in our lives; to our minds perception, time, in some ways passes inversely proportional to our age.

Since that dramatic introduction to the night sky, I have been a dedicated observer, appreciating the constellations as familiar old friends, and reminders of past seasons, no matter where I go - having never left the Northern hemisphere.

So, since the age of five I have been an "amateur astronomer." I remember many nights when my pals and I as teenagers would hang around Kirkwood Observatory on the IU campus with the astronomy students. Back then it was left unlocked, and people could visit the dome any time of the night. The observatory is named for Daniel Kirkwood, who was the IU Astronomer and mathematician who discovered the gaps in the main asteroid belt, and explained them as corresponding to the location of orbital resonances with Jupiter in its orbit.

Besides the meteor storm I just described, and all the intervening minor events - like Halley's Comet as an example, or an eclipse of the moon or sun - I observed what appeared to be a constant flux of many small meteors in the high desert night sky of California and particularly at the skies zenith. These were just at the edge of visibility, but profoundly numerous. That was in January 1961 and I may have been seeing the Quadrantids, or it may have been a random phenomenon; something that good eyesight, and very clear winter skies at an elevation can show up. I don’t remember any really outstanding meteor objects that night, just very tiny ones, making it seem even more remarkable; that's because compared to what I was seeing, a few bright flashes would not have been as memorable. But to repeat that experience in the high desert has more of an attraction to me now than a visit to Rome, London, or Paris.

Last edited:
The Vastness of Space that I am referring to is the sensation that the observer has as he tries to locate the light source illuminating the crescent moon. If you thought the moon was far away, the light source is enormously far away.

If we had no moon this sensation would not be available to us. Hence there would be no word called lunatic.:eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back