Have you ever waited tables or been a bartender?

I never waited tables or bar tended. I DID however work as a busboy/dishwasher in a really busy truck stop, then later on as a DeeJay in various bars, then even a stint as a BITTYTAR DeeJay!

I was a glass collector in a bar when I was 15 yr old. lost count of how many times some nasty drunken twat threatened to kill me for clearing his glass away before he was finished.The lying drunken *****.Learned some valuable lessons on how to behave.

Waited tables all through high school and college, in a handful of diners and mom and pop family type restaurants. It was hard work, but decent money for a student and could be a blast once you're at the same place for a while and get to know the regulars well enough. I loved always having cash and other than the few real horrors I love being around the people. I'd do it again if I had to.

I tried it for a few days and hated it. But going by this thread, most of those who've commented seem to have worked in a quite relaxed environment, compared to a heaving metropolis. Although I could be wrong.

It's an interesting window into USMB users' past employment, but it's not a complete question. What you should have asked, Echo Zulu, was two questions. The first question should remain as it is: "Have you ever waited tables or been a bartender?" Followed up by a second question of: 'Have you ever waited tables or been a bartender in an Irish establishment?' Because they're two very different beasts. And I'm not talking about serving bottles of green beer in Hell Kitchen or Chicago's South Side. No, I'm talking about the real deal - where pet dogs match their owners drink for drink, happy hour's before breakfast and they piss out of the window.

Yes, that's right, I'm talking about the kind of place where Paddy McGinty and his goat go to wet their tongues, the place Italians avoid like the plague and where you can't see the wallpaper for red hair.

So, USMB, who here's pulled pints in a real Paddy shebeen?

Last edited:
I tried it for a few days and hated it. But going by this thread, most of those who've commented seem to have worked in a quite relaxed environment, compared to a heaving metropolis Although I could be wrong.

It's an interesting window into USMB users' past employment, but it's not a complete question. What you should have asked, Echo Zulu, was two questions. The first question should remain as it is: "Have you ever waited tables or been a bartender?" Followed up by a second question of: 'Have you ever waited tables or been a bartender in an Irish establishment?' Because they're two very different beasts. And I'm not talking about serving bottles of green beer in Hell Kitchen or Chicago's South Side. No, I'm talking about the real deal - where pet dogs match their owners drink for drink, happy hour's before breakfast and they piss out of the window.

Yes, that's right, I'm talking about the kind of place where Paddy McGinty and his goat go to wet their tongues, the place Italians avoid like the plague and where you can't see the wallpaper for red hair.

So, USMB, who here's pulled pints in a real Paddy shebeen?
Not I, but I sure the hell would love to. Sounds right up my alley. Course that wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm mostly Irish and German... :alcoholic:

The other thread about the "Facebook" waitress got me wondering how many of us have worked (or still do work) in the "Biz" as we used to call it.

How long did you wait/bartend-and did you enjoy it?

Yes I tended bar while in the NAV and while getting through college. I tended bar in O clubs, NCO clubs, discos, dives, resorts, neighhood taverns and businessmen's hangouts

And if I had the stamina to do it, I'd seriously think about tending bar today, too.

Why?

Because in the right bar -- one with the right kind of patrons -- tending bar is truly interesting work.

Good bartending isn't about understanding mixology, it's about understanding psychology.

For a year or so while in Grad School, 6pm to 2:30 AM Wed. thru Sunday. 8 AM class MWF didn't kill me but it didn't make me stronger either. Sunday nights were the worst, after 11 or so it was like being night watchman in a grave yard.

I've waited at a lot of tables... Once, a woman I was trying to date told me to go this this particular diner and get a table and she would join me just after 8:00 pm. I did that and I waited for this woman for 3 whole days but she never came. I called her up to see if there was a problem and it seems I had the year wrong.

I was a bartender in a London pub for a few months. The British are cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. They never tipped.

Surely the landlord informed you before you accepted his offer that it's not common parlance to tip those working behind the bar in the UK, and the majority of continental Europe, for that matter.

Forum List

Back