Have you ever waited tables or been a bartender?

I waitressed when I was around 30 or so for about 6 months (dumb schedule, didn't make enough money, and the job took me 45 minutes to get to . . . . wasn't worth taying). I really liked waitressing. Yeah, some people were jerks but most were really nice. Especially the people I spilled an entire tray of drinks on. Luckily the tea was iced . . . . they were super nice to me. I was my first or second day on the job. Uh yeah, I learned a lesson and never spilled anything on anyone again. lol Most of the other waitstaff were college kids and the owner and her manager treated them like dirt. I guess cause I was older and would have said something to them had they treated me that way, they pretty much left me alone. The owner was an ass.

The only time I ever waitressed was when this traveling comedy troop came to my college. That was huge fun, of course it was only one night. But I did work as a cashier in a big supermarket when i was in high school; also worked as a camp counselor, a merchandiser for a food distributor and as an intern for a congressman. Being a merchandiser was fun because I got to drive all over. But I always said if i needed extra money, even now, i'd go waitress or tend bar.

I used to pick up a few bucks as a busboy once in a while when I was a kid and here's a tip:

Never send anything back to the kitchen if you really don't have to. You don't want to know what happens to disgruntled diners' food.

I've worked as a dishwasher, waitress, cocktail waitress, cook and bartender.

I worked weekends on all aspects of the catering business in HS and before military service. It is an interesting experience as you meet all kinds of people. We did lots of weddings and it always amazed me how some were great parties and others as dull as funerals.

The other thread about the "Facebook" waitress got me wondering how many of us have worked (or still do work) in the "Biz" as we used to call it.

How long did you wait/bartend-and did you enjoy it?

I worked as security at a couple of clubs in D.C and Baltimore back in the early 90's.. It was part time and on weekends. Sucked, got a permanent scar from it. And damn it no one ever tipped the security guys ever....LOL

• Thanks
Reactions: del
dishwasher, prep cook, busboy, barback, short order cook, bartender, bouncer. when i was a busboy, my hourly pay was 63 cents an hour plus 10% of what the waitresses made. that bitch wilma always held out on me. :evil:

I found out that Brits are bad tippers,
The culture of tipping is different in the UK, they tip if the service was exceptional, not because it's obligatory, Who tips the girl at McDonalds for serving a meal?

The other thread about the "Facebook" waitress got me wondering how many of us have worked (or still do work) in the "Biz" as we used to call it.

How long did you wait/bartend-and did you enjoy it?

Waiter years ago. It was hard work.

Now where's my cookie???

cookies-and-milk-480.jpg

When I was younger, I worked behind a luncheon counter in an old fashioned New England general store for several years. I cooked and served up a variety of food to order. I served up sodas, milkshakes, and frappes; and cleaned up the mess after the customers left. I loved the job and to be honest with you, if it were possible, I'd be more than happy to work in that capacity today. However, there are two problems with that thought. First, one would be hard pressed to find a lunch counter in an old fashioned New England, or for that matter, any general store these days. Secondly, it probably wouldn't pay a whole heck of a lot. :neutral:

i lasted one night waiting tables at an italian restaurant in dallas (i was moonlighting trying to make some extra money over the low pay low level research associates make).

it wasn't so bad until a party of 8 showed up with several loud kids who ran me ragged right up until closing. when the father handed me four twenties for a $79.00 tab and told me to keep the change, i had enough.

cab driving stories anyone? i lasted 18 months at that while i was still in school.

I found out that Brits are bad tippers,
The culture of tipping is different in the UK, they tip if the service was exceptional, not because it's obligatory, Who tips the girl at McDonalds for serving a meal?

The girl at McD's makes like 10 bucks an hour these days.

At a restaurant where there is a waitstaff they make like less than 3 bucks an hour because income is assumed to come almost entirely from tips.

Busboy, server, barback, bartender.

Was a server the longest and made the most money that way. That's in large part because my bartending was all done in restaurants as opposed to bars. Almost all of my work in the industry was done at large chains and that's where I'd go if I ever had to do the job again. (or a nice hotel)

There is something to be said for doing that kind of work in your 20's. Though it's hard, crappy work the money isn't bad at all. Also, I'd guess, at any large chain in America there is always at least one cook or manager that sells weed and there is always at least one server girl who will sleep with you. (and turnover is very, very high ;) )

Also, not for nothing but I've never seen anyone's food get messed with no matter how rude the customer.

I bartended in quite a few different places. Everything from little shot and a beer joints to big supper clubs and a couple strip joints. One supper club turned it's largest dining room into a dance hall on Friday and Saturday nights. Very hard work bartending when the people are lined up two and three deep at the bar, but the money was great for twenty years ago. I usually made between $400 and $500 a night in tips alone. I worked three nights a week and made more money than most of my friends that were slaving away working 40 hours a week. It was fun. Met a lot of girls bartending... :D

New Topics

Forum List

Back