Have You Ever Noticed...?

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Over a period of decades, I've seen quite a few photos of presidents in the Oval Office meant to commemorate certain occasions whether formal or informal. Sometimes the president is alone, and sometimes there are other people present.

However, there is something I first noticed with President Trump several times many weeks ago in his photo ops which I don't recall seeing with prior presidents,.at least not on any kind of regular basis. And it continues to this day!

I won't bother to include a photo since there are so many that it won't be difficult for anyone to find one.

It's this: President Trump is sitting at his desk in the Oval Office even as two people (one is usually the VP) are standing directly to Trump's left and right and both appear to be standing at attention. Considering the sheer number of times I've seen this, I can't help but believe that Trump has instructed these men to stand that way in what is essentially a moment of stagecraft which he has orchestrated in an effort to show both support of what he says and subservience to him as the leader.

Anyone else ever notice this? If not, please pay attention to see if this continues in the future.

Over a period of decades, I've seen quite a few photos of presidents in the Oval Office meant to commemorate certain occasions whether formal or informal. Sometimes the president is alone, and sometimes there are other people present.

However, there is something I first noticed with President Trump several times many weeks ago in his photo ops which I don't recall seeing with prior presidents,.at least not on any kind of regular basis. And it continues to this day!

I won't bother to include a photo since there are so many that it won't be difficult for anyone to find one.

It's this: President Trump is sitting at his desk in the Oval Office even as two people (one is usually the VP) are standing directly to Trump's left and right and both appear to be standing at attention. Considering the sheer number of times I've seen this, I can't help but believe that Trump has instructed these men to stand that way in what is essentially a moment of stagecraft which he has orchestrated in an effort to show both support of what he says and subservience to him as the leader.

Anyone else ever notice this? If not, please pay attention to see if this continues in the future.
The vast majority of political photos were/are staged...... No matter which president it was.......... :lmao:

You mean like these?
art.sign.thu.gi.jpg

gettyimages-512129918.jpg

president-barack-obama-signs-an-executive-order-to-close-down-the-picture-id84404297

president-barack-obama-signs-the-new-start-treaty-into-law-as-of-picture-id108735885

Is this a bad thing.... or just a casual observation? At least Trump is being calculated and mindful of the social metrics of the whole thing. Kind of what I'd expect out of the leader of the free world....

Presidentin' --- the only occupation that requires a football team worth of people standing behind you to make sure you know how to work the complex specialized technology that is the ballpoint pen.

Ah c'mon. Can't you at least show ONE photop picture?

170325102534-05-donald-trump-oval-office-0324-large-tease.jpg

Oh, what the hell, here's the latest example. Please notice that Trump is engaging in what is commonly referred to as 'steepling' with his hands (which is generally considered to be a sign of extreme confidence and/or dominance) even as both men (HHS Secretary Tom Price and VP Pence) look on as if instructed to pay deference to President Trump. By the way, do you notice how both men's hands are virtually hugging their trousers as if they're at attention?

The vast majority of political photos were/are staged...... No matter which president it was.......... :lmao:

I have no problem admitting that any photo that is not truly "candid" is, in fact, staged. However, that's not quite the same thing as directing people in the photos to adopt specific postures, is it?

Oh, what the hell, here's the latest example. Please notice that Trump is engaging in what is commonly referred to as 'steepling' with his hands (which is generally considered to be a sign of extreme confidence and/or dominance) even as both men (HHS Secretary Tom Price and VP Pence) look on as if instructed to pay deference to President Trump. By the way, do you notice how both men's hands are virtually hugging their trousers as if they're at attention?

Sorry, I notice that there hands seem to be relaxed and when I stood at attention I looked straight ahead. Were you ever in the service?

I have no problem admitting that any photo that is not truly "candid" is, in fact, staged. However, that's not quite the same thing as directing people in the photos to adopt specific postures, is it?
Yup, it's the same thing. Welcome to the world of politics. :thup:

Sorry, I notice that there hands seem to be relaxed and when I stood at attention I looked straight ahead. Were you ever in the service?

Yes, I was in the US Army. I guess that's why I noticed the placement of their hands and knuckles.

Dude. It's the consequence of two things:
  • Good posture
  • There's no chair for them to sit in, yet someone wants them in the photo and the POTUS is okay with that
That's it.

Yes, I was in the US Army. I guess that's why I noticed the placement of their hands and knuckles.

But not their heads, huh. Even the Army looked straight ahead when at attention.

But not their heads, huh. Even the Army looked straight ahead when at attention.

Agreed. But they're not looking at the camera either, are they? They're looking at President Trump like a couple of love sick girls.

Forum List

Back