Have you ever mistaken something on tv as real?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Having some snickerdoodles and milk a bit ago I caught some of a UFO doc "Beyond the War of the Worlds" or something like that about the 1938 Orson Wells' radioplay "War of the Worlds." Long story short, lots of people thought it was real. As the ones in some South American country did years later when it was repeated (though by different people.) They were SO angry they burned the radio station down killing 15 people.

Thinking to myself of the original Wells' version, he can't be blamed because people are stupid. But then I remembered a movie I was watching way back, think it was called "Through the Looking Glass" about media coverage of the outbreak of WW 3 where a media guy's onboard a US carrier when the US uses a nuclear weapon in battle. My Mom had walked in and caught the part where the weapon detonates, screen goes white and staticy and the journalist asks the Captain if he can now confirm the US is using nuclear weapons screaming about the mushroom cloud rising on the horizon. My Mom thought it was real. :)

Guess in the context of 1938 where reality was often depicted over the radio, especially using real media companies in their broadcast, people can't be blamed for thinking the news report portrayl was real. Probably why nowadays movies don't often use actual news company names like CNN and instead call it WNN and the like.

Yep, I sure did. I remember this guy shaking his bony finger coming out of the TV set. He said a lot of things acting as if they were true. I figured that no one would lie such as he did but guess what, he was lying his ass off.

So yeah you got to be careful what you believe.

Lots of people believed the Patriot missiles were shooting down Scuds.

Having some snickerdoodles and milk a bit ago I caught some of a UFO doc "Beyond the War of the Worlds" or something like that about the 1938 Orson Wells' radioplay "War of the Worlds." Long story short, lots of people thought it was real. As the ones in some South American country did years later when it was repeated (though by different people.) They were SO angry they burned the radio station down killing 15 people.

Thinking to myself of the original Wells' version, he can't be blamed because people are stupid. But then I remembered a movie I was watching way back, think it was called "Through the Looking Glass" about media coverage of the outbreak of WW 3 where a media guy's onboard a US carrier when the US uses a nuclear weapon in battle. My Mom had walked in and caught the part where the weapon detonates, screen goes white and staticy and the journalist asks the Captain if he can now confirm the US is using nuclear weapons screaming about the mushroom cloud rising on the horizon. My Mom thought it was real. :)

Guess in the context of 1938 where reality was often depicted over the radio, especially using real media companies in their broadcast, people can't be blamed for thinking the news report portrayl was real. Probably why nowadays movies don't often use actual news company names like CNN and instead call it WNN and the like.

Yes, commentary news... I always mistake it as something that should be real but is usually more fake than the War of the Worlds story...

Forum List

Back