Have You Ever Had A Clothes Dryer Catch On Fire...?

Actually, my most dangerous encounter with a home "applicance" was an old Sears lawntractor. I was mowing the lawn and the gas line - did know this - was dryrotted. On this particular day, the dryrotted gas line decided to disintegrate. This cause a massive fuel leak onto the muffler, which in turn, became a massive fire heading directly at my crotch. Thank God I was able to get off, run away from the MF, grab the garden hose and put it out. Could have been an exposion...

Somehow my neighbors house caught on fire back when I was living in base housing back in 2001, he left his lawnmower next to his BBQ Grill after a 4th of July barbeque and the Q somehow sparked off the lawnmowers gasoline thing and blew out the fucking windows, it was madness we were running out in the streets not knowing what the fuck happened, the neighbors thought it was me and my ex wife who had started the fire until the fire fighters got there and told them no, it was you putting the lawn mower next to the fucking BBQ.:rolleyes:

My next door neighbors house burned down from a dryer fire. The nasty SOB's never cleaned thier house and between the lint and all the clothes laying around, the house went up in minutes. Luckily they all got out.

My next door neighbors house burned down from a dryer fire. The nasty SOB's never cleaned thier house and between the lint and all the clothes laying around, the house went up in minutes. Luckily they all got out.

We never leave the dryer running when we leave the house.

Clean the lent out every once in awhile................Men!

that wasn't the issue... the lent screen was always cleaned before every load...

what happened was that the lent that got past the lent screen built up over time in the exhaust line... to the point where it ignited from the heat of the dryer...

the discharge point of the dryer exhaust line was a roof turbine...

one day, when we had left the house with the dryer running, I happened to have to go back to the house for something my wife had forgotten...

as we were driving up to the house, my 10-year-old daughter pointed to the roof turbine and said, "Is that smoke?"

long story short... if we hadn't gone back to the house to retrieve the forgotten item, we probably would have been confronted with a completely burned-down house, as opposed to merely a ruined dryer...

Last edited:
Actually, my most dangerous encounter with a home "applicance" was an old Sears lawntractor. I was mowing the lawn and the gas line - did know this - was dryrotted. On this particular day, the dryrotted gas line decided to disintegrate. This cause a massive fuel leak onto the muffler, which in turn, became a massive fire heading directly at my crotch. Thank God I was able to get off, run away from the MF, grab the garden hose and put it out. Could have been an exposion...

You used water on a gasoline fire? Really?

c'mon, bodie... have a little compassion... W came very close to being emasculated... scary stuff for us dudes...

Its not the smartest way but it can be done, depends on the fire is it dripping from a line or in a container, if you can remove the oxygen or the source of combustion you can put it out with water. If it is a large amount of gas, you better not spread it with water or you will have a disaster.

We have not had a dryer fire--knock on wood--but both Mr. Foxfyre and I have been licensed insurance adjusters and have both worked fires in dryers--more often in poorly maintained commerical dryers than home dryers but it happens in both.

We do clean the lint trap religiously after every load, but I have considered getting one of those lint lizards you see advertised on TV. Has anybody had any experience with those?

Forum List

Back