Have you ever felt so down

Sure.

Anyone who says they haven't entertained that notion at one point or another is either 1) a liar or 2) has had an extremely easy and boring life or 3) simply has not lived long enough.

Sure.

Anyone who says they haven't entertained that notion at one point or another is either 1) a liar or 2) has had an extremely easy and boring life or 3) simply has not lived long enough.

Or they've had an interesting life but have been lucky enough to never feel things are that bleak -- even when things are bad.

Nope. Not ever.

You just curious?

Are you really saying that you've never, even for a fleeting moment, thought, "if I weren't here things would be a whole lot easier"? Never had that George Bailey moment followed by the "Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!"

Are you really saying that you've never, even for a fleeting moment, thought, "if I weren't here things would be a whole lot easier"? Never had that George Bailey moment followed by the "Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!"

LOL! Well put. No. I really never have. That's not to say I've never felt overwhelmed or I've never been unhappy. But nothing was ever so bleak in my life (knock wood, ptoi, ptoi, pooh, pooh) that I ever felt I'd be better off not being here or that I couldn't face another moment.

FWIW, I think suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.

LOL! Well put. No. I really never have. That's not to say I've never felt overwhelmed or I've never been unhappy. But nothing was ever so bleak in my life (knock wood, ptoi, ptoi, pooh, pooh) that I ever felt I'd be better off not being here or that I couldn't face another moment.

FWIW, I think suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Well it is the ultimate act of selfishness... no doubt about it... which is why the thought far-more-often-than-not never comes to fruition. But, just because one hasn't done it doesn't mean they haven't entertained the notion.

Well it is the ultimate act of selfishness... no doubt about it... which is why the thought far-more-often-than-not never comes to fruition. But, just because one hasn't done it doesn't mean they haven't entertained the notion.

I understand what you're saying. This topic actually came up after Owen Wilson tried to off himself. I really have never entertained the notion. That's not to say there aren't circumstances under which I *wouldn't*. I just never have.

I think the real question we need to have answered here though is:

Roomy, is there something you'd like to talk about?

Answering your question roomy, no, I'm too chicken. I've had a few rough years and been pretty well almost down and out but scrabbled my way back again. Topping oneself is - as Jillian points out - selfish. Now, life gets pretty shitty now and again but it passes.

Sure.

I couldn't disagree more. Your 1, 2, 3 choices are valid, but that's not all. Life is not just 1, 2, 3.

I had a wonderful childhood. Was brought up by two wonderful parents. I've enjoyed my life more than I probably should have at some points, and I have no regrets.

NO... I have NEVER entertained the thought of OFFING myself. Why should I? Life is good, and don't say "I'm too young." I'm 52.

I'm 17. I've never seriously contemplated suicide, nort have I entertained the thought much. I've wondered what its like, often prompted by convseration, but I've never felt the need or desire to do it.

It could be that I'm too young, and my life is anything but hard. But to answer the question, no.

I am OK, thankyou to all who expressed concern.
I was asking out of curiosity prompted by the suicide of a 15 year old girl found hanged in the new forest recently.It brings a lump to my throat thinking about it.
I can't even begin to contemplate how bad things have to seem to an individual before one would do such a thing.I do think hanging is the ultimate in suicide, one, because there is no coming back from it and two, because of the message it sends.What do I know?

Abject severe depression that has as a component a desire for suicide is not as easily dismissed as " damn they were selfish".

If your in that hole far enough rational thought doesn't work. You can not see anyway out , you can not rationally think your way out of it. What is needed then is either an extreme stubberness not to act coupled with the ability to get help or find a safe haven, or an external overwhelming consideration that can dent your deep depression and help you not do what you see as the only option. That still needs you to seek help.

Most people that commit suicide do ask for help, just not always in a forthright manner and unfortunately a lot of people can not contemplate killing ones self so do not take the threat serious, not cause they are bad people, but because they simply can not fathom that thought.

Telling someone that is suicidal all the good things in life or even their life isn't generally going to work, they can not see it at that point. The hole they are in is so dark and deep they can not possibly reason the facts out you are telling them. They can and will twist everything to a negative.

Owen Wilson IS a good example. I mean what could ( from our external view) possibly be so bad in his life he would want to kill himself? Obviously something TO HIM, was.

There are people that have suicidal thoughts all the time. Overpowering thoughts that no amount of rationalizing can just fix. No amount of external love and caring can stop. Those people almost always need medication because there is a chemical problem in their brain.

What am I saying to you? If you EVER think someone is suicidal act on that. It is so much better for a person to be angry with you and alive, then having them kill themself. Get professional help if you hear someone talk about suicide, tell someone that will ask the tough questions. I do not mean general conversation like we are having, I mean when someone makes a threat or vieled threat. ALWAYS take a suicidal threat serious.

Sorry, BUT it really is important to understand that people that have such thoughts are a lot of times simply unable to shake them off.

Forum List

Back